SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cista

I think I'm in love...

cista
16 years ago

with all of you! I have been reading and reading and reading and I think I'll be giving WS a try. I'm in a new house with no landscaping and WS will help me establish something decent without costing me a fortune. It won't hurt as bad if things don't survive in this horrible red clay that I'm TRYING to amend a little at a time. I have lots of room and my dear husband would love to have less yard to mow or fields to bush hog. Between him and my two boys I'll have plenty of milk jugs for this new hobby of mine. How on earth do you decide what plants you'll try? I'm starting from scratch and can see that I'll likely be overwhelmed with decision making. Oh well, the shopping for seeds will be fun, right? *big grin*

I'm sure I'll be popping in with silly newbie questions as time progesses. Thank you in advance for your kindness!

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

cista, welcome! Please do join in.

I assume you've read the faq's? How about Trudi's site? I'll link you to it. Note the free seed offer, a chance to get some free seeds which will be good choices for wintersowing.

If you follow the threads on the forum, you'll hear about lots of new plants that you want to try. Google it if it sounds interesting, and decide if you do indeed want it.

Note that there is also a seed exchange link at the top of the wintersowing forum

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing site

• catankgirl
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say I'm almost exactly in your shoes, just in another state. :) Except that I have one boy and one girl around my ankles all the time instead of two boys. :)

I'm trying winter sowing this year too because I have no money, awful soil, a little of my good compost, potting soil, and saved containers. I also need to learn, learn, learn about seeds I want to try, I know very little about gardening.

I'm excited to try this with everyone here too. The only thing I request is MORE PICTURES from EVERYONE! I love seeing how everyone is doing! ;)

• carrie630
    16 years ago

We love ALL newbies (..and the oldies, too).

Don't forget to ask all questions - none are too silly or trite here. I am still asking and it's going to be my fourth year! (Already??)

Carrie

• etravia
    16 years ago

Welcome. I'm kind of still a newbie. This will be my 2nd winter. Yes, the variety is overwhelming! Here is my latest favorite picture. Very easy to grow! I have seeds if either of you would like some (they are mixed colors, not just yellow).

Portulaca, Moss Rose
    {{gwi:433404}}

Maggie

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

Welcome to both of you! you will love w/s- it's so easy and it works- I have so many plants- most all from seeds given to me by the generous folks here

do watch the seed exchanges -this fall there will be lots of offers, some you can just send a bubble env and some stamps

with w/s you can try all kinds of things and then pick and choose what you like/does best for you

some of my favs are:
    any rudbeckia
    Joe Pye Weed
    any celosia
    balsam
    holly hocks
    malva
    zinnia
    marigolds
    the list goes on and on

have fun!
    Linda

• seedmama
    16 years ago

Welcome! There is currently an offer in the Seed Exchange forum for free seeds, offered by Jim in Tennessee. I've provided a link below. He grows in clay as well, so his seeds should give you a great place to start.

You've found a great forum. Stick around. You're going to love it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Tennessee grown seeds

• cista
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. You all seem like such a great group of people. Those of us that are new to this really appreciate your kindness.

Thanks for the link for free seeds. I'm thinking I need to be stocking up on potting soil. :)

Cis

• catankgirl
    16 years ago

I love that picture, Maggie, thanks so much for sharing!

I'm going to start small this year, maybe just get an order of seeds from Park Seed, they have some good deals, and see how that goes this winter. If all goes well, I'll get into the swap or free offers here. I really need to work on my soil and prepare some beds more than I have time for right now...

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

catankgirl: Park's does have a good selection, but they are very expensive and their shipping is outrageous.

You think you're gonna start small, like we all think at first... Just wait!

There are lots of good cheap seed sources, too.
    cheapseeds.com
    valueseeds.com
    are 2 you might want to browse. And don't overlook Walmart, Home Depot, etc.
    And watch out for those free sasbe offers.

Karen

• PVick
    16 years ago

Welcome, cista!

And catankgirl, if you want to see more pictures, check out the forum's gallery ....

PV

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Hello, newbies! Welcome!! I think you're going to love wintersowing!

catankgirl, is the ca for California? I'm just thinking that since you don't have a lot of compost yet, in the northern states this is the right time of year for grabbing bags of grass clippings and leaves mixed together, for making instant huge compost piles. You will need a lot! Also, in the clay soil we had in Illinois, we found that adding sand worked wonderfully. I don't know about your soil--but maybe try a 5x5 area, (adding compost too). Good luck with that soil!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH