SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdogmom

New website is up

tdogmom
14 years ago

Okay, my new Monarch website is up. I'd love some feedback.

Learn about Monarchs

CalSherry aka tdogmom

Comments (31)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    14 years ago

First thing that hits me is I have to do a whole lot of scrolling to read anything.

I'm running 1024 X 768 resolution, which seems to work fine on all websites I use.

I had to bump up to 1280 X 800 to easily use learnaboutmonarchs.

What screen resolution are most people using these days? Or do wide screen monitors running at 1024 X 768 handle wider websites like learnaboutmonarchs? I'm still using square screen monitors so I don't know how things run on the wide screen monitors many people now have.

KC

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

First, Sherry, the text and content are just fine.

Perhaps the website is geared to youngsters and the overly large text font can help them easily read the technical words, and this causes the webpages to be large.

1024x768 monitors are definitely on the decline, 1280x960 is very common, and many people are now using up to 1680x1050.

Viewing the Learn about monarchs website at 1024 requires horizontal scrolling, a no-no in website design.

There are actually two webpage formats here: The home, or index page has an arc of links, most of them bring up a totally different (and better) format of a left-side menu of links that remain visible from page to page.

When I go full-screen (1680), all content is left-justified, having it centered would be better, but this can be hard to do with a left-side menu. Using a horizontal menu across the top makes centering all the page content easier.

There is some design element on the pages that cause a horizontal scrollbar to appear even at 1680 resolution,
    for some reason the browser thinks the page is over 2000 pixels wide.

Some images are positioned in a way that causes them to overlap some of the text.

The contact link on the home page appears doubled, like a "double-die" coin would appear.

I do like the basic "monarch" color scheme, although white text on a black background is not widely recommended. Here, because of the large font, it works.

OK, I just looked at some of your page sources, you are using Freeway 5 as an authoring tool. I was right about the page width:

meta name="viewport" content="width = 2000...and

div margin:auto; width:2000px appear in the code.

That's probably about all the tech-talk you can stand for the first go-around!

• Related Discussions

New ARS website is up.

Q

Comments (2)
    The following site was just updated on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 2:28:09 PM : http://www.colonialdistrictroses.org/id50.html Here is a link that might be useful: link for above
    ...See More

Roguevalleyroses.com

Q

Comments (36)
    That would depend upon a variety of factors. I see you are here in California where rotting tree stumps and roots in compacted, nitrogen deficient soil and over irrigation can lead to Oak Root Fungus. If that isn't an issue in your area and your drainage is sufficient, the rotting wood might be beneficial. Where I am, it is an issue and situations suitable to trigger its growth should be avoided whenever possible. I have a good friend who lives in Brentwood who had it flare up over twenty years ago. She lost well established hedges, the majority of her roses and several large trees before it began to burn itself out and she learned how to manage it. Other friends in San Jose had it break out when a neighbor took out a large Sequoia whose roots ran all over several lots. The fungus attacked their lawn furniture, bender boards, plants and even wooden house siding where the soil had been raised too high and come into contact with the siding before they became aware of it. Where I've previously gardened, it was an issue so I was diligent not to over water too close to potential root zones of established trees. The community did rot out several old oaks they'd installed golf course turf around and it worried me there might be an out break on the edges of the garden. I was fortunate in that it didn't happen. I know it's an issue in areas close to where I now live and garden. Fortunately, this hill is extremely well drained, not only due to the slope but the soil is actually too loose and water runs through it like a sieve. I shouldn't have the problem here unless I get really enthusiastic with the hose! Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Root Fungus
    ...See More

New butterfliesandmoths.org

Q

Comments (10)
    I did like the old maps better. I think they are doing Google maps instead because it is easier. I submitted some sightings and they now require you to submit the exact location by address or browsing on the maps. That saves the latitude and longitude with your sighting in their database. Then those sightings can be automatically populated on the Google map based on the lat/long. There should be some automatic way for them to get the county from the lat/long data though and then show a simpler map with just the counties shown and pertinent ones highlighted. I don't know if Google Maps has that functionality built into it though, or if it would require custom programming. They obviously don't have a way to match the lat/long to a county name yet. When you submit a sighting you have to select the country, then the state, then the county....even though they already have the lat/long which is redundant. Perhaps that is something they are working on. Another odd thing is that when I submitted my sightings there was no way to indicate what species your sighting is, or at least what you think it is. I thought it was an error, but after doing some Googling I found that is intentional. I read the reason is that they did not want to intimidate anyone and deter them from posting a sighting if they had no idea what species it was. My sightings are still pending, so I don't know how long the id process takes yet. At least they are on there though and show "pending". When I submitted last year before the new site was up I didn't even know if anyone had gotten my e-mail.
    ...See More

Homes not showing up on website

Q

Comments (9)
    mxk3, I don't know. Check with an agent you know to see if there have been changes in their listing input forms. In our MLS we have specific checkboxes to send the listings to Realtor.com and Zillow and other websites that are automatically checked (opt-out process). However, if the seller were to request that the house not show up on the various websites, then we could un-check those boxes. It may be the opposite in your area where the seller has to opt-in rather than opt-out. Could it have been a new policy that just started Jan 2020? I don't know. These MLS contracts vary from area to area so an agent near the property you don't see would have the answer, maybe. If you know the property that is missing (one of the properties) contact that agent and ask why they don't show up on Realtor.com. Hopefully they will have an answer for you.
    ...See More
  • tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmmm...okay, thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it. I have checked it on two browsers so am curious which one you're using Larry. I'll double-check the link you are mentioning. Like I mentioned, I do have some glitches still that I am working out. I haven't had the horizontal scroll issue on several different computers I've previewed it on but that may be due to the size of the monitors/displays I have used. In my initial trial, I'd had comments on using a larger font size which is why I went with the larger size. Others had preferred the white text on black background. This may be a preference/style thing. I had tried a few (believe me, I've been working on this one since the summer!). All suggestions, however, are much appreciated. :) I had noticed a few other things earlier today and fixed them. So, I will continue to work on it. Thanks.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am making some modifications right now and would be MOST appreciative of your comments, once again, when I get the revisions done. :) Please. It helps me because people like YOU are the ones who would be most critical.

I also got some Monarch larvae yesterday. Now, I doubt I'd have time to make my revisions, take photos, do my edits, AND post everything in one day. I will definitely try to get the revisions done today as I am anxious to get this site up and running since I have to get back to work and have to get my math site updates done (that one isn't being revised...that one can stay as is for now).

Thanks, again.
    Sherry

• bernergrrl
    14 years ago

Hi--Love it! Easy to use and nice to look at!

I'm on the FAQ, and I'm not an expert, but it seems to me late instar cats are over an 1" long--almost two inches long, I think. (I'm a sewer and knitter and have learned that the from the tip of my thumb fingernail to the first knuckle is about an inch--that seem small to me).

From the FAQ:

If you had seen large caterpillars (like around 1" long or so) then chances are, they were getting ready to pupate!

For the below FAQ, although it doesn't show up here--your copyright info is mingled with some of the answer:

Do caterpillars need water to drink? How about the pupa (chrysalis)? I read that I need to keep a wet paper towel around for them.

No, caterpillars do not need to drink water as they get all the moisture they need from the fresh leaves they consume. The pupae do not need to be watered either. In fact, particularly for Monarchs, moisture is NOT a good thing!

Gotta run--love all of this selfless work you do! Can I share it on my Facebook? Love Tiffany too--just read about her on your other website. Sniff.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks...been working on it all day...got some more stuff to do...but no, cats do not need to drink and moisture is bad, bad, BAD. :) I took time off cuz my eyes were going crazy. Chelsea and I took a long walk at the park and, lo and behold! One of the Milkweed plants I'd planted years ago sprung back up amidst a tree that had fallen over and was taken away...and there were EGGS on it!! Can't believe it. I brought the little piece home as the plant would not be able to sustain any baby at all. I was blown away to even SEE the little seedling coming up out of the ground where the plant used to be.

Sure, you are more than welcome to put it on Facebook. I actually put it on my Facebook page the other day but, as of last night, have been working on modifying it to fit EVERYONE's monitor/display...EEK! I guess I am just a brat since my laptop has a nice large display and hubby's new desktop (should I say my new desktop?) is humongous? 27" is quite large for a desktop, I guess... although I do tend to live on my laptop nowadays.

Sherry

• quicksilver
    14 years ago

I just loved your site for the info, content, and images.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Testing your learn about site on browsers:

Google Chrome
    Firefox 3.0
    Safari 3.22
    Opera 9
    IE6
    IE7
    IE8

Of these browsers, you want your site to look its best on IE8, IE7, and Firefox 3.x. Any other browser will not rise above 1% of your viewers, with the possible exception of Apple Safari.

And guess what: The only browser that displays your pages without image/text overlap is the Safari. Your website tool must be geared to that browser.

Your doubled contact link on the home page is fixed.

The main problem with the site is that the pages all have a fixed width: When you reduce the horizontal size of a browser window, your pages stay rigid, and require even more scrolling. Most sites, when you reduce the browser window size, the text collapses to stay within the window and does not require horizontal scrolling to view.

Remember, not all people use full-screen browsers.

I would definitely try to resolve the page width and image/text overlap (example: life-cycle page, paragraph "generally the adult..." and monarch image).

Your website tool generates such complex code that tweaking it by hand is not useful because the tool will likely reverse the hand-made changes on the next file-save.

Your previous sites, The Butterfly Forum, and it seems there was one other, they looked good.

There must be a Freeway option for titling your pages; at present they are titled "life-cycle", "milkweed", "home" (!) etc., and might not rank for specific monarch-related google searches by potential viewers. "Learning about Monarch Butterflies" would be a better page title. It looks like your tool is simply copying your page link names and using them as titles.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Larry-Gene. I actually have re-sized each and made the width corrections today but haven't uploaded them as I also re-sized the actual template. It's interesting because I actually tested it on Firefox and it worked fine! So strange...but, like you said, not everyone does uses full-screen browsers (we hard-of seeing folks need all the help we can get!). I'm dealing with the other goodies right now.

Like I've said, I do appreciate your criticisms and comments as they've proven helpful. I do a lot of editing work and know how helpful it is to get other people's perspectives. I'd take them into consideration in the initial design and that's how I came up with the overall format this go-round. If my links work out, I'll upload the latest tomorrow morning. :)

Sherry

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See if it is any better, kcclark. :) I made some changes that I hope make it easier for those who don't open their browser windows as large as I do. If it is still not all that easy, let me know. I'm a-still-working!
    Sherry

Learn about Monarchs

14 years ago

Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly how the pages first looked to me. Seems like a lot less scrolling is needed.

Currently, the "Life-cycle" page is the worst. On the first line of text, the last thing on the screen is "(ova) is" and than I have to scroll. The best page is the "OE" page. On the second line of text, I see "butterf" using Firfox 3.5 and "butter" using IE 7.

"about" and "using pics" work just fine because the side menu disappears.

Many moons ago, I used to be a trendsetter. I was the first person I knew with an EGA card/monitor (EGA came between CGA and VGA). I went to 800 X 600 before most. I went to 1024 X 768 before most. I had top of the line Viewsonic pro 21" monitors in the mid '90s. Then I retired in '99 and computers were no longer my vocation. Still running the same monitors and the same resolution.

I switched my resolution to the 1280 X 960 that Larry_Gene mentioned but my eyes were not happy with the smaller size of the text. I know Firefox allows me to change font sizes but I've never played with them.

KC

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

KC, I'm trying again. :) I'm sure you are tired of this (same here!) but I do want it available for everyone. Here goes...I think I may have fixed it this go-round and if not, I just can't do much more at this time. I understand about the size of text which is why I used a large font size to begin with. I checked this one on my ipod and it seemed okay so perhaps it will work for you too.
    Learn about Monarchs

Sherry

14 years ago

I cleared all my caches to make sure I was getting a fresh copy of your website but the screens look the same as they did last night.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmmm...well, then I don't know what to say. I've checked everything and they work fine. I re-did the sizing just now to be sure and, like I said, it even shows up on my iTouch (ipod) just fine. I have to (obviously) open it up really big in order to read it since the screen is so dinky. What browser are you using? I can check against that, perhaps.

• quicksilver
    14 years ago

Excellence is revealed, or shows up, in the pursuit of excellence.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, quicksilver. I am unable to check it in IE as I don't have access here to a PC (when I do, I will) but I tried all the other browsers and it seems to work so I am stumped. I know my biggest glitch is the left-justified button menu but I am not going to deal with that right now. Oh well. I figure I can fiddle with it some other time. I want to add my other content and then can mess with the stuff then. I just want to make sure the site is accessible. Period. *sigh* More headaches I don't need but this is life, right?

Sorry I can't seem to get this right for you KC.

Sherry

14 years ago

Geez Sherry, don't be sorry. I'm the one who chooses to still live in the '90s.

I'm running Firefox 3.5.6 and IE 7.0.5730.11

Some other things I've noticed:

On "Life-cycle" page:
    The last monarch pic is covering words in the next to last paragraph (worse in IE).

On "Raising Monarchs" page:
    In the paragraph to the right of the little cat pic, it looks like you wanted "Life-Cycle of the Monarch" to be a link but it is not.

On "OE" page:
    "Things to look for..." is overwriting the preceding paragraph.

On "Tachnid Fly" page:
    The first line of "The female Tachinid Fly" paragraph is too close to the paragraph above it (actually touching in IE).

On "Milkweed" page:
    Firefox and IE have same problems but problems are more pronounced in the IE windows.

1) Silky Gold pic is covering part of text above it.

2) Same problem with Family Jewels pic.

3) Paragraph that starts with "The picture to the left shows the split beginning" overlaps with the paragraph above it.

4) Picture of open pod is covering part of text above it.

On the "Garden Bugs" page:

1)The aphids pic on the left is covering text plus the text next to the pic is very close to the text above it.

2) The text to the right of the large milkweed bug pic is very close to the text above it (In IE, the last word of the top paragraph ""buggers" is mingled with the first word of the next paragraph ""They"). On IE, the picture is covering half of "these little bu."

On the "about" page:
    Picture at bottom is covering text above it.

Thanks for all you do to educate people about monarchs.

KC

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*sigh*
    KC,
    I use Firefox and don't see these issues. I don't get it. The only thing I see is that the buttons move, as a group, if you make the window larger (wider). Other than that, everything seems to be where it belongs and there isn't any overlapping. I am now on the desktop to see if it looked different here but I am getting the same as on the ipod and on my laptop. So sorry. Perhaps Larry Gene will chime in and give me some feedback.

Sherry

14 years ago

I jacked up my resolution to 1280 X 960 to see what would happen.

The only screen that I still need to scroll is the "Life cycle" screen.

I still see all the problems I mentioned in my last post.

I just pulled your site up on my laptop and my server machine. One is running IE 7 while the other uses IE 6. Both show the problems I mentioned.

KC

• mcronin
    14 years ago

I think all the responses show how much we on this Forum appreciate all the work you've done on this site (and all your others). In addition we appreciate all you've contributed to making this such a wonderful Forum and all you do as a school teacher. I don't know how you accomplish all you do.

mike

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

It could be that any browsers downloaded to your Mac machine are geared to render like the Safari, even a Firefox downloaded to your machine.

But there is still the size issue; all of your placements are dictated by the Freeway coding, and it is using absolute positioning. When an element of a webpage, like an image or paragraph, is coded to appear at "left: 600px; width: 1100px", that requires 1700 pixels of horizontal space! And that is in addition to your left-side menu.

What does your website look like at a public library monitor?

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Note that this very website page of the forum is designed for 1024 pixel-wide screens: When you mouse-drag the width of your browser window to be narrower, the text and "clippings" logos at right collapse until your window is about 1000 pixels wide and then the horizontal scrollbar appears and collapsing ceases.

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I tried something different. Tell me if it helped...or not. :) I am trying! Truly.
    Sherry

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

No change. Either the Freeway tool has some width controls you have not uncovered, or it is a weird tool!

Weren't you using some other design software in the past? You already have a folder of images, and it would be easy to copy and paste your text into the other tool.

But this may all be too much web design; your site is certainly usable. Monarch fans will scroll for the info, it's not like they are shopping for something and there are lots of alternative websites.

But yet another dagger: Go to the monarchwatch.org site and vary the width of your browser window, that site is designed for 800 pixels wide, it will collapse down to almost nothing.

• ericwi
    14 years ago

Great site! Great images! There were no technical glitches that I noticed. How did you get that dog to sit still with a butterfly perched on her nose?

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Eric. I've been working on trying to get it so everyone is able to access it without a problem but I guess I just won't be able to please all; just some. :) Doing the best I can as a novice web designer with limited time.

Chelsea is really good with butterflies, just like Tifanny. She won't eat them or bat at them or anything. She just sits patiently. I have some great shots of her with butterflies climbing all over her face. One of my faves is one where this Monarch climbed right up her lips and onto her nose. I was laughing so hard that I jiggled the camera and so the shot is somewhat blurry. Cheli is looking somewhat cross-eyed at this butterfly like, "What are you doing!?" The butterflies aren't at all afraid of her and I guess, from being raised around her, they are just as mellow with her as she is with them. People are always asking me if the butterflies in my pictures are real and I have to say, "Yes~my dog is just very used to having butterflies around."

I wish my middle schoolers were as well-behaved...oh well.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Love, love, love the website, Sherry!

Is this website solely for Californians or those west of the Rockies? Cuz if so, this won't matter. I did notice in the "Bugs" section, there is no mention of the Milkweed Leaf Beetle species, Labidomera clivicollis, aka the Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle, which is what I have the most problem with in my garden. While their preference is A. incarnata hence the common name Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle, I find them on Cynanchum laeve, and on other milkweed species. They are voracious eaters!

They are found East of the Rockies, however, and that may impact their presence on your website, because they are not present west of the Rockies. I am attaching info from Bug Guide in case you want to review it. I am constantly squishing from spring to fall.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Leaf Beetle

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    I wanted to re-do my 'My Monarch Guide' since it is sort of, well, not as website looking, if you know what I mean, and outdated looking. I had done MMG when my Kindergarten class was a finalist a number of years ago in that Animal Planet contest and thought that perhaps making an updated version was a good idea. I have plans to add MORE to this particular site but time is the problem I am having. ;P Although I am trying to get more folks on the WEST learn of the Monarchs' plight, I am more than happy to include info for everyone. I don't want to put up pictures that I haven't taken myself, for copyright issues. But, I can definitely include links!

I've got loads of new pictures of Monarchs because I've been busy raising more. In fact, just yesterday, while out getting some leaves for them, I was shocked when I came across seven Giant Swallowtail larvae on the Rue. I couldn't believe my eyes as this is a species that I've never seen in the winter here in SoCal. I kept thinking, "What the heck?" Of course, I've brought them indoors so they can finish their life-cycle safely (we have quite a few caterpillar-eating birds outside right now and I'd rather feed them mealworms).

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Sherry, that is wild about the GSTs! You are so lucky to be able to Butterfly garden virtually year round.

We are in for another freeze/snow/ice cycle starting Wednesday night this week, so I am gonna get some potting soil and winter sow since it will give me a sense of "walking among the butterflies" in the dead of winter here.

I don't know how you do what you do with your teaching job and all anyway. You've just got a bit of that butterfly magic in your soul!

Susan

• leatherneckjoe
    14 years ago

I like your web site, keep up the good work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush

• tdogmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I love Buddleia, too. There's been concern about the Buddleia and its invasive properties as well as the seeds/flower heads clogging up the waterways (if you can imagine this!) in our area which is just a few reasons I've not included mention of this particular plant...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting