SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Direct winter sowing

elkwc
15 years ago

Just want to say I tried the winter sowing only direct sowing in the ground on 5 plants this year. I used buckets with clear plastic over the tops and also clear gallon milk jugs. I had 86 plants out. We had a record drought, late frost and early high heat and wind. Then disease hit. Out of the 86 plants four of the five direct winter sown are in the top six of my best plants now. My best plant is a hybrid Goliath that was DWS and is loaded now. I plant mainly op's. I'm clearly convinced this will work. And will plant more this next year and also some the original winter sown way. Am convinced the plants are hardier. Although my transplants were as much as 6" taller when I set them out within 3 weeks the DWS had passed them. May try to get pictures and post them later. Had told Trudi earlier on another forum what I was trying and that I would update later in the season. I may try using wall of waters on a few next spring. To see if I can get an early jump with such varieties as Brandywine and beat the heat some. Hope everyone is having a bountiful harvest. JD

Comments (5)

Sponsored