SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

New Bulbs Arrived

cindeea
16 years ago

I was excited to get my box from Scheepers yesterday. I was quite disappointed, though, that one corner of the box was so soggy and it seeped into the bulbs. Somehow it must have sat in water during shipping. I nearly sent the package back, but after removing the outer onion skins where some rotting was beginning, I found the bulbs were beautiful inside. San Remo is HUGE and Candy Floss is also a generous size. Misty is a smaller bulb (20 cm) but then I expected that of this Trumpet Amaryllis.

I am giving the roots the "Maria Soak". I don't have superthrive, so I added some water sol Miracle Grow to the water. I didn't have to trim off too many dead spaghetti roots either. The roots on all the bulbs are very thick and full. Candy Floss also has a lil sprout on the side of the basal plate. A new baby, perhaps?

{{gwi:431143}}

Candy Floss Sprout

{{gwi:431144}}

p.s. Notice Jodi's cute plant stakes holding up some Orchids that are still blooming in the background.

Comments (120)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Just wow!

I want to respond here, but I hardly know where to begin! Everyones' pictures are lovely, first of all... thank you to everyone who posted photos!

I wish I could comment more on which varieties were scented, which are good parent bulbs, and so on... but I just don't have enough time in to know these things!

Maria - you sing the praises of La Paz a lot, so I included that one when I went to the garden center... I'm not sure what's going on, but my bulb is just sitting here, doing nothing! Are the cybisters just a little slower to start than the hybrids?

I'm anticipating my bulbs from Soultan! I can hardly wait to plant them and see the blooms! And I'm watching the mail every day for my Royal Colors order! Can't wait for that, either!

And I'm pleased to announce that Amalfi has not shown any sign of aborting the scapes that were starting before the surgery! It still has three poking up, getting bigger all the time! Sweet Lilian is going to require a stake, I can see... that scape is getting very tall!

The day is sunny and beautiful... I'm taking the camera out with me to get the last garden shots of the season... I'll get some update shots of my bulbs, as well... for now, though, I must get the dogs fed and the kennel cleaned! I have a busy day ahead of me! I shall post more later!

Happy Gardening, and have a lovely day! :-)

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your responses! =)

Soultan, I'm hearing a lot of La Paz here, so I must include that in my order next. I'm trying very hard to limit the amount of bulbs I acquire because soon my house is going to look silly with all these pots! =) Thanks for the 411 on the blooming period.....hopefully I can synchonize the blooming so my relatives coming from California can enjoy a spectacular display. So fragrant wise, the white varieties really hold down that category I'm guessing? Thanks again for all your help. =)

• Related Discussions

Anyone else playing with their daffodil bulbs?

Q

Comments (34)
    Is the reason for digging to keep them blooming? This Sat I will be with a bunch of folks who grow daffs to show and will try to remember to ask about the 3 year digging rotation schedule that so many try to follow. If I remember correctly, it had to do with them needing to be lifted/dug so the surrounding soil in the holes could be amended. Over time, the blooms, of some cultivars anyway, will decrease in size if they do not have proper nutrients. I'm not sure, but lack of good nutrients 'could' also affect the bloom color. Don't hold me to that though as I will try to verify that. Usually too, when daffs are planted for growing and showing, I 'think' no more than 3 bulbs are planted, spaced out in a hole. That allows the bulbs to multiply without becoming crowded, thus smaller bulbs, and smaller blooms, or no blooms at all if they are entirely too crowded. Some daffs are a lot more prolific than others and seem to multiply a 'lot' more than others. In my opinion, Ice Follies is a great prolific daff. On the other hand, 'Mount Hood' still has the original patch I planted with fewer and fewer blooms. I wonder if they are crowded or if they are lacking nutrients. Some cultivars are just by nature bigger bulbs, so it could possibly be that they are crowded, regardless of how many were planted in each hole and how they were spaced. Do you plan to dig them next year? I'm not suggesting that diggings one's daffs every 3 years is for everyone, because I don't see it as necessary at all, unless one is considering entering them in competition. As far as the FAQ go, I feel they are to be geared toward the casual gardener, growing daffs, or whatever for their own enjoyment in their gardens. Sue
    ...See More

Buds, Bulbs, Blooms...

Q

Comments (24)
    Java, honestly that's not a good plan... you want one layer of soil in the pot only. No drainage layer or different layers. The entire pot should be one type of soil only. Please read about Perched Water Tables in that link I posted in the other thread. It will explain why one layer is best. Kioni, the mix is fast-draining, but does retain enough moisture to give the roots a good drink and allow them to uptake the nutrients they need. By tweaking the mix one way or another with the ingredients, you can increase or decrease the moisture holding capabilities. The particles are a lot smaller than orchid bark pieces, but larger than the microscopic mud of regular potting mix. Early on in my bulb collecting, I followed advice to bottom water, and this works fine for some potting mixes... but now that I've found a better medium, I top water with good results. I don't have to worry about water sitting at the rootball or around the bulb, itself. I can't really give an answer to how much water... you get a feel for how much you need to pour in the pot over the soil, and you get to know when to stop so water doesn't overflow the saucers. It's a trial and error at first, but you quickly get comfortable with what is enough for each pot. Probably the closest medium to Al's Mix would be some of more gritty bonsai mediums available. The link below has some really great soil information. It will explain a lot, as will the link from the other thread I posted earlier today. Even if you can't find the ingredients locally, bonsai mediums can be ordered online. I'm having a hard time finding pine bark fines, and I'll probably have to either order some in, or grind up and sift through a few bags of small pine mulch. If you read through everything carefully, there are substitutions listed... or, you can just ask over at the Container Gardening Forum... "tapla", or Al, or any of those guys would be happy to help. There is a trade off... watering must be monitored and tended to carefully depending on the weather... when it's hot you may need to water more often. I don't mind because the last thing I want to deal with is more rot! I hope some of this helps... or at least gives you pause to check it out. Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Basics - Soil
    ...See More

Planting A NEW Papilio Bulb

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Aveo, I have 4 pots of h. papilio and the mother bulb in each pot is the usually 1/2 to 2/3 out of the soil..when first planted..of course the bulblets are all way under. I have yet to repot my clumps, but when they were singles..as they all were once, I just treated them as all my other bulbs..2/3 out of the soil. I think when the time comes to repot, I may be tempted to (at least the first time) just move the whole clump to a larger pot. I know eventually, they will need to be separated, but as they grow outside all clumped together I will put off separating them for as long as I can..not a job for the timid such as myself. I've only got my first two papilio bulbs last year, and now there are at least 5 bulblets in the first pot and 4 in the second. They sure are prolific multipliers!! Of course, if I see that the mother bulb is being dragged down by the kids then I guess I will have to pull them apart..but until then, they will remain a family unit.. I don't suppose I've actually helped you, but I really loved mine when they bloomed.. A few years ago I had a clump of Orange Sovereign that I finally had to separate..they were already in a large pot and since I use clay, I just couldn't handle a larger pot..there must have been at least 6 or 7 good sized bulbs in one pot. All the bulbs were fine, including the mother who had been heaved out of the soil..I gave most of them away and kept 3 of them and they grow on and on. Of course Orange Sovereign is not as special as h. papilio, but the process is the same... Donna
    ...See More

Brent & Becky's Bulbs Catalog Arrived Today

Q

Comments (7)
    Got mine yesterday, too! That's a twilight moment having just discussed them the day before, huh? They always make me drool and that have excellent bulbs. The colocasias and alocasias are so appealing, but don't grow well for me, except Alocatia macrorrhiza. I could grow them in pots and bring them in over winter, but I have so many other things to do. I always think of Wolflover who used to post here about her aroids and her bananas. Remember her, Dawn? Susan
    ...See More
  • hopflower
    16 years ago

Jodik, I know well what you mean. Many people throw perfectly good potential planters away. I like to use the odd thing, too, if I can possibly fit something into it.

Yes, I will post some pics when the bulbs start showing, with the pots as well. There will be some terra cotta pots too; as I use them a lot. I will try to get different coloured pots in the pics.

Of course, when making a gift one wishes to make it a bit more special, which is why I add the little touch of a brightly coloured pot. I did buy a couple of extra pots for myself too, if I could not resist the colour. At least when waiting for the bulb to grow and develop, one can enjoy the container!

So far I have made up two lovely, light celdadon green pots with Red Pearl Hippis, and a soft yellow pot with Apple Blossom. Also, I put Picotee in a cherry red-glazed pot.

• primeribs
    16 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered from White Flower Farm?
    Paxfleur, I had no troubles with Wayside, But their bulbs are smaller than JS. (Zombie still but out 3 scapes though)

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Soultan, that Alfresco is a real head turner, lovely photos!

Pax-perhaps Maria can encourage you even more about Lemon & Lime. I believe she secured one also. I send her some L&L pollen, and she had the same success as I did with using it as a pollinator.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Soultan...All these beautiful pics of Alfresco is making me want to plant my extra one. I cannot just yet plant most of my newly purchased ones.

I have right now 38 new bulbs that are stored and waiting for their turn to be planted. And MORE are coming. I have to prioritize on which ones need to be planted first. Here is my planting schedule this season for newly purchased bulbs:

1. Bulbs that are sick or seem unhealthy with red markings and rots which are immediately cleaned, treated and dried before planting.

2. Bulbs that do not have much roots or no roots at all.

3. Bulbs that are showing new growth, scape or leaves.

4. Doubles - Most of them cannot be pollinated anyway so just enjoy their blooms first and collect possible pollens for use on pollinating singles.

5. Singles - It's pollination time!

6. Cybisters - Recommended planting is end of January or early February. I'm planning to make them bloom at the same time so that pollens that will be used for pollination will be as fresh as possible. (Diploid on Diploid)

7. Trumpets - same as cybisters

*Hopefully my other Papilios would bloom together with the cybisters and trumpets.

Jodic...I have talked about and posted pics of my La Paz here in the forum almost all year round this 2007. It did outperformed my other cybisters. My La Paz kinda liked the warmer "springy" weather. Try putting yours in a warmer spot.

Cindeea...But of course, how could I forget...
    Greens/Yellow Green...Lemon Lime
    I purchased one of this from Royal Colors last season and got one from JS recently just to compare. Cindeea's L&L was very fertile bothways.

Primeribs... I have noticed that too. Wayside has smaller bulbs but are healthy and firm. I just received my SA varieties from them and none of the Dutch bulbs have been sent yet. Have you gotten yours?

• soultan
    16 years ago

Don't worry about La Paz being slow to start. In my experiences, all the cybisters are quite slow to start. I even thought that La Paz died, it was sitting there so long without even a leaf poking out. Maybe even for a month...

Maria, do you want to plant your extra bulbs:

{{gwi:431157}}
    Alfresco

• primeribs
    16 years ago

Maria, I haven't even ordered from them yet. The one bulb I wanted is gone off their site ('Evergreen'). might still order 'unique', as I've kinda fallen for it.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Soultan...Stop teasing me...LOL!

Primeribs...Oh your name makes me hungry! Anyway, Wayside's pic of Unique is not right. Search the forum on Unique and you shall see the true pics posted by Soultan and Ninecrow.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Maria - I have La Paz sitting in my east window... perhaps I should move it to the heat mat... it will get artificial light there, but maybe the bottom heat will encourage it to grow... thanks for the tip!

Soultan - Yes, I seem to remember reading here that cybisters are slower to start... and to grow, in general... my Papillio is slowly growing... very slowly! Apparently, patience is required for these varieties! Also... you're making me want to buy more white flowered bulbs, with the pictures you keep posting! They're gorgeous! And white is not generally a color I rate high on my "must have" list!

Hopflower - Your color choices sound divine... can't wait to see them! I've been thinking lately of painting up more pots... I have some newer rubber stamps I want to try out. Between trying to button up the garden for winter, getting the rest of the outdoor bulbs and things planted, mulching, raising a pup, and trying to get my Christmas crafts finished... I've been a bit busy! We just got a humongous order for our canine meal replacement bars, too, which is good... but it means time spent mixing and baking and packing, and that means no time for anything else! Aaarrgh!! I haven't even gotten to the raised veggie beds yet, which need major clean-up! I will be using them to bank in anything that doesn't get a chance to be planted before it gets too cold, like the batch of small shrubs we got at auction. Dogwood, Forsythia, Amethyst Berry...

Primeribs - I briefly caught a glimpse of "Evergreen" in Wayside's catalog... but before I could order one, they were gone! I hope they bring it back next year... I'd dearly love to have one of those! The price was a bit steep, although, I could be convinced to pay that amount! We ordered 2 roses from Wayside's catalog, and both were back-ordered. One, we just got, but the other is still a no-show. I wonder why they continually offer items that they have very little stock of? It's rather frustrating!

So far, I've been planting my bulbs as they come in... in groups of about 5 or so... I still have 2 groups coming, and I will plant them as they arrive.

The following bulbs have scapes several inches tall, and should bloom shortly: Sweet Lilian, Amalfi, Exotic Star, Limona

The next group have scapes just peeking out, so they should bloom shortly after the first group: Hermitage, Aphrodite, Exposure, Red Pearl

This group has short leaves or leaf tips showing, but no scapes yet: Vivaldi (that really isn't Vivaldi), Red Lion, Nymph, Apple Blossom II (it's a second Apple Blossom I have), Minerva II (second Minerva I bought)

And this group, which shows no top growth at all yet: Pamela, La Paz, Apple Blossom I (just recovered from over watering, growing new roots)

And these, which are in leaf, but getting ready to rest for the winter: "The" Minerva, Papillio Butterfly, 2 Unnamed Red & White bulbs

This group is too young to bloom, so they are just growing: 2 Lemon & Lime babies, 1 Orange Sovereign x Orange Sovereign baby, 1 Charisma x Ludwig's Dazzler baby

And these non-Hippeastrum bulbs, which I am growing indoors and waiting for blooms from: Zepheranthes group of unknown color, Peacock flower (Gladiolus relative?), I also have a pot of colorful Hyacinths in the fridge getting their cold treatment... they will come out to bloom in a few weeks!

I'd like to close this long-winded post with a few pictures... a couple of updated "scape photos" and a few from the garden... remember now, this is November in Central Illinois, zone 5... Enjoy!

Sweet Lilian - any time now!
    {{gwi:431158}}

Amalfi - soon!
    {{gwi:431159}}

A few Others
    {{gwi:431160}}

Red Mini Rose - still going strong!
    {{gwi:431161}}

Pink Shrub Rose - still blooming!
    {{gwi:431162}}

Coral Climber - new buds!
    {{gwi:431163}}

Blue Sage - a winner this season!
    {{gwi:431164}}

Red Dianthus - in its 3rd flush!
    {{gwi:431165}}

Cup & Saucer Vine - a dark Halloween shot!
    {{gwi:431166}}

Another view of the Red Mini Rose - this mini is amazing!
    {{gwi:431167}}

Thanks for looking! Have a wonderful day! :-)

• hopflower
    16 years ago

jodik: WOW! Those are beautiful, and on my monitor that Coral Climber rose looks stunning. I like and raise roses, too. I took about four cuttings this year and they are all healthy and growing wonderfully in their pots.

primeribs: I have never ordered from White Flower Farm, although I hear they do sell quality plants of any type. I get their catalogue, but some of the prices are quite prohibitive for me right now, anyway. I am not sure if you cannot get some of the same things for less, and still buy smaller grower, somewhere else.

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I always found White Flower Farms hard to deal with and their prices are too high. Once I tried to order something from them and they told me it wouldn't grow in my zone because it is too cold! Zone 10...too cold??? C'mon! If they are that unreliable with their information, I sure don't trust their plants.

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to include my updated photos.

San Remo is still growing a fat bud and scape and it has another scape coming up that looks like a bit of the exterior of the bud was damaged.
    {{gwi:431169}}

Candy Floss is also sending up a couple leaves and it looks like it is also forming a scape on the back of it.
    {{gwi:431170}}

No action from Misty yet. Misty's roots weren't as full as San Remo or Candy Floss, so I am hoping it is busy putting down more new ones before leafing and flowering. Monday I plan to get my Jumbo Vera and my Elvas, that Soultan hand picked for me, into a planter.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Misty took two and a half montsh for me to bloom. I am planning ot take some pictures of it now. It is not in a hurry to flower, as I see. Probably because of the long rest period, it is also not too colorful. I thought I'd be in love with this variety and I am not... Now I can't wait Angelique to bloom for me. I need some gratification.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Hopflower - I love roses! Unfortunately, many won't do well this far north... and the ones bred for northern climates tend to be kind of expensive! Miniature roses, on the other hand, are grown on their own root stock... no graft to worry about! Would you believe that little red mini was a clearance item at Lowe's... I think I paid a whole dollar and fifty cents for it! It's been blooming prolifically since spring! We're putting in more minis next season, for sure! That coral climber was an inexpensive rose from a discount store... it's been struggling to survive for the last 2 years, and finally got a good foothold this year. My favorite roses are the old fashioned bourbon or cabbage style ones that are very fragrant... We're planning on putting in several roses next spring, if I can make up my mind which ones to order! I've never had much luck with rose cuttings, although, I discovered a few new tricks to try with cuttings on the rose forum... I'd like to go back to the house we rented a few years ago and grab some cuttings from the pink double that was outside the back door... it was always covered in blooms and smelled heavenly! What do you do to make your rose cuttings root successfully?

Cindee - Nice buds! That planter will look so nice when in full bloom! It would be wonderful if all the bulbs bloomed at the same time! I'm sure that was the idea, and I sure hope it happens that way!

I, also, think White Flower Farm is a bit expensive... I've never ordered from them, but do get the catalog...

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Indeed, jodik, roses are a must for my garden. I am not a fan of the miniature variety, but just about anything else is a favourite.

When I take cuttings I usually use a rooting hormone like Rootone. It is best to take a cutting about pencil thickness and no more than about eight inches long. I make sure I put two nodes and sometimes even three, in the soil; and then put it outside in a semi-shaded area. It is watered well the next day, and then left to be watched carefully as to moisture and sun for the next few days. If I see it is too hot, it goes in the shade a bit deeper. This does not happen too often now as I have the area for rooting them down fairly well, depending upon the time of year and how high the sun is in the sky. Since I live in California, it is easier for me to start them than it would be for you, as I do not have to worry about harsh temperatures. I have a little more window in that area. Regardless, they must be looked after for the first couple of weeks and then they are maintained with enough water to keep them moist and that is all. No fertiliser at this point; the rooting hormone is enough to get them started safely and has a certain amount of fungus resistance in it.

My problem is that I want to start all of them and have nowhere to put half of them!

• primeribs
    16 years ago

Maria, Thanks for the heads up on 'Unique'. I checked it out on the forum and Still really like it.

Jodik, I've noticed that about Wayside as well and it is frustrating. Your flower pics look awesome, I am very impressed and Jealous of your roses.

Thanks for the input on wff Hopflower, cindeea, jodik. I only ask because they have 2 bulbs that I can't find anywhere (Temptation and Magic Green). I guess I will try them out and see what happens.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Magic Green is amazing. It is not particularly a pretty flower. It has kind of a brownish tint, but it is a huge star. It is indeed star shaped and has maybe larger span than an Aphrodite. I have never thought I'd love this variety, because of the lack of prettiness, color, you know what I mean, but it has overpowered me. But don't expect much green from it. I don't know who named this variety, but he was probably color blind.

White Flower Farm has 11 varieties right now I would love to get. I am still holding back on them though, because I have not reached their price average just yet. Have you seen their picture of Ferrari? WOW. Their pictures are self made. They try the bulbs first, then order the varieties next year. I have seen Sweet Lilian on their site first. I am so glad that Jodi could buy it for me. We have saved a lot of money.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Primeribs...Both Temptation and Magic Green have huge flowers and are good choices. I have posted both their pics here in the forum some time this year. Temptation looks like a big Charisma and Soultan is right about Magic Green...big greenish star with some red/maroon markings.

Has anybody here ever ordered from them? How are their bulbs and company policies?

• soultan
    16 years ago

Yes, please advise us. We might order from them soon, so we need the good feed back.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Hopflower - I'm the same way, but with rose catalogs... I want to order more than I have room or money for, and some varieties are rather costly! You're very lucky that your zone permits so many different varieties... this is one of the reasons I like the miniatures so much; they do well this far north! Next spring, we're going to place orders with 2 companies that grow and sell roses for our zone... so far, I've chosen "John Cabot", "Therese Bugnet", "New Dawn" and "Morden Blush", all climbers, I believe... and then there's the miniature rose order... I haven't chosen those yet... there are too many varieties, and I can't make up my mind!

Primeribs - Thank you... and, I'm flattered! Actually, the roses are barely surviving, with the exception of the red mini! I just got lucky that the coral climber decided to make an effort this year... the pink rose, as well... If you really want to be jealous, wait until you see pictures of the gardens next year! We're planning 2 rose orders, climbers from one place and minis from another place! I spent all summer stripping sod, double digging and amending soil, all the old fashioned way... with a shovel and lots of muscle and sweat! Bulbs of all types will start the show, with roses and perennials following! And in another bed that I cleared thousands of strawberry plants out of, Bearded Iris and Daylilies will be the stars, with a few bulbs, roses and other perennials in supporting roles! At least, I hope it will look as good as it sounds! :-)

Soultan - I just saw Sweet Lilian appear in an eBay auction, starting at $9.99, not including shipping! We were lucky, indeed, to have found that one for a reasonable price! Mine is about to burst into bloom! It only has one scape so far, but that one scape is a bit over a foot tall and the bud is beginning to open just slightly!! I can hardly contain my excitement!! My first bloom of the year!! Yay!!! :-)

• soultan
    16 years ago

I am happy for you, Jodi. It was a very good price for Sweet Lilian. Thank you for letting me lay my hands on one... I would so like to give you similar good surprise, but I have no idea what is happening with the package. I will most likely go in the central post office today with the tracking number and ask for them to track it. I don't want to owe you, you know what I mean. :o)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Thank you, Soultan... and if by some horrible twist of fate, something has happened to our package, I'm sure we can work out something with regards to bulbs... I'm not worried at all. :-)

Email me and let me know what you find out at the post office, please... and thanks!

• hopflower
    16 years ago

I have found a rose for you jodik, that you may just love. I meant to mention it to you the other day, but thumbing through an old copy of Horticulture yesterday I was reminded of it. It is hardy to zone 4 and called Wild Thing. It has hot pink flowers (in the flat form) and is virtually disease-resistant. It blooms early summer and repeats periodically.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Oooh! Wild thing... you make my heart sing! You make everything... Groovy! Hehe! I'll have to look that one up and add it to my rose wish list! Thanks, Hopflower!

I have several wish lists going... Hippeastrums, roses, perennials, seeds, greenhouses...

I know you said you're not a big fan of mini roses, but check out the minis at the link below... they might just get you to change your mind! Talk about beauties! I'm having problems making up my mind which ones to order for 2008!

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Miniature Roses

• primeribs
    16 years ago

Jodik, Sounds like you have a awesome garden planned for next year. Now as far as the roses 'barely surviving' thats better than I can do in my area.

Soultan and Maria, I went ahead and ordered from WFF, I'll keep you posted on how things go. Soultan, I did indeed see 'ferrari' Nice looking flower, I was so close to buying it...but $45 on 2 bulbs is enough.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Primeribs - Have you tried any of the Sub-Zero roses? I know there are very northern rose growers, and a few growers in Canada... the hardier roses seem to cost a few dollars more, but I figure they're worth it if they survive the mid-western winters!

There's another rose link below... check it out... a lot of the roses they have are for zones 3, 4 and 5!

I know this isn't the rose forum, but if I can help spread the word about hardy roses, it makes for happy gardeners! Thanks to everyone else for overlooking my off-subject posts! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Roses

• soultan
    16 years ago

Those mini roses are wonderful. I wish I could collect them as well, but they always die on me inside of the house for no apparent reason. (Or apparent reason: me.) I have two outside though who survived and flower well. I just went into a store and snatched them up because I liked them. It happens to me a lot that I like something and want it, so I get it, even though I don't know what to do to it. These roses for instance were just in pots on my balcony, suffering from heat, but they survived. Now that I got this nice elevated garden system at the side of the house, they are planted out. I can see the happiness on their faces, just as I can see the happiness on the amaryllis bulbs. Indeed, an open air garden is a blessing for plants.

• hopflower
    16 years ago

I must admit they look pretty, but I am a climber and tea rose fan myself. Of course, you know all us plant nerds love all flowers; so what am I saying? Heheh!

Here is a link for you. You just have to see it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticulture Magazine

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Here is a picture I took of my pots and plants and bulbs; not very professional, but you get the idea!

{{gwi:431171}}

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hop your picture is very pretty, look at all those little babies GROW. You have Christmas Cactus blooming already?? What a radiant color!! That is one shade I do not have. I have a basket full of my mothers plants. After she passed I cleaned up all here cactus and plopped them all in one large planter. Now I have this rainbow planter full of all different colored blooms.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Soultan - You have mini roses, too?! How awesome! Right now, I only have the one red mini, but I plan to order several more in spring! They do well here, and I like that they are small enough to use in the border front, rather like a small, mounding perennial!

Hopflower - Nice pots! I just saw similar ones in all different sizes at Miejer's! They had dark blue, red and yellow... I thought of you when I saw the stacks! Nice AV in the background! And I also like the Christmas Cactus... I keep meaning to grab one when we're at Miejer's... they have some in small pots for a reasonable price. I'm going to get one next time we're there! I've had them in the past, and they've grown fairly well for me!

Cindee - That's an excellent idea! A multi-colored Christmas Cactus collection, all in one container! I love it! If I can afford more than one when we go to Miejer's, I'm going to get one of each color and plant them together! I swear, you guys keep posting these awesome pictures and descriptions of great ideas... and I just keep finding more and more plant types and craft ideas to get addicted to! I'm turning into a garden junkie!!!

• hopflower
    16 years ago

I thought you would like those pots, jodik. Yes, I did buy some blue ones as well. They are just not in employment right now! There are some light blue ones, some dark; almost navy blue ones which I plan to put white parrot tulips in (for the house), and even a light lavender and deeper orchid coloured pots! Some did not have saucers with them, others did; and a few I picked up to go with them for the gift idea. Most I got, though, were green; both dark and celadon; red, and yellow pots like the ones you see here. I suppose you noticed I have several terra cotta and glass pots of various sorts as well. I like some of the pots wildebloem has in his/her pictures, too. Nice, sturdy, glossy brown ones. But the glazed, coloured ones are cheerful for people, and so far they have really gone crazy for them!

What did you think of the rose?

Great idea, cindeea, about that rainbow Christmas cactus pot! I bet that is a treat to look at; some of them are so beautiful. I never cared for that particular colour you see in the picture, but it is one of the most common. I recently acquired a white one and a soft salmon-coloured one; I potted them up as they are rather small; probably like the ones jodik is describing at her local store. They are the smaller ones for about $3.99 or so. I would love to get a yellow one. They are rather uncommon, but in bloom they look like gold waterfalls! I am not that experienced with Christmas cactus, so I need to see how they will do for me. Yep, garden junkies are what we are indeed!

Come to thnk of it, I have three geraniums in one pot outside as we speak!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Yes, Jodi,

I have mini roses. I like the varegiated blooming roses, so when I see some, I tend to buy one, even if I don't know where I put it... It is just so not natural, that I love it... Varegiated rose bloom...

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love mixing colors and textures. I am hoping to add the peach Christmas Cactus my best friend started for me to my mothers display. If I am able to move about when it all blooms, I will post a picture.

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see it; and a peach colour sounds wonderful!

• primeribs
    16 years ago

Jodik, I have not tried the Sub-Zero roses. I am trying a carefree rose that I just got this spring. Also thanks for the links on the minis, I've got 3 in pots 'popcorn',Apricot twist', and 'Charlie Brown' their awesome roses.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Hopflower - You mean, what do I think of Wild Thing? I love it! It's beauteous! I'm putting together a rose order for 2008, spring... we're getting a few climbers, minis, small shrub roses and I'm going to get at least one of the Bourbons, old garden roses! We were going to go flea marketing today, but things got busy and we ran out of time... we are going Sunday, instead. I'll be looking for pots, of course!

Soultan - Variegated anything looks really cool! I have variegated lipstick plant cuttings rooting, and a variegated English Ivy... but the roses are really pretty!

Cindee - Oooh! Peach sounds lovely! I have no idea what colors I'll find at Miejer's, but I'll probably end up getting about 3, one of each color. Lowe's sometimes has them, too... I should shop around a little! We're going into town tomorrow for orchid supplies, so I plan on hitting a few stores while we're there... I want to see what's left bulb-wise, get some more clay pots, check out the Christmas Cactus situation, get my orchid supplies, and maybe hit Dot's for some new clothes! I've lost so much weight that my slim jeans are too big, and I have hardly anything left to wear that fits! I've lost over 35 pounds! I look pretty darn good for a 48 year old, if I do say so myself!

Primeribs - The Carefree roses are supposed to be really hardy and beautiful... the catalog pictures look awesome! Sounds like you have some nice minis! Charlie Brown is a beauty! And I love the apricot and peach colors! When I put together the order for next spring, I'm going to have trouble choosing... I want them all!! :-) Black Jade, Gizmo, Incognito, Cafe Ole, and Laurel Louise are a few of my favorites of the Garden Minis...

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Yes, I really thought it quite stunning myself. I thought you would like it.

I started two climbers this year, now it is a matter of knowing where to put them! I love the process, but it is hard to find room. One was a slip from a friend of my husband's who died last year. It meant a lot to us because it was his, and also because it originally was given to the gentleman's grandmother by Luther Burbank. It is a white climber and looks like frothy lace while in bloom.

I also have to train a City of London floribunda, which can be a climber if encouraged. It is a beautiful rose with one of the most glorious scents you can imagine. Everyone comes away from it amazed. I urge you to find one if you can, and experience it for yourself. Many people think it is reminiscent of citrus fruit. It is sweet to me.

I got a couple of new pots yesterday. There is a new place in town called Asian Gardens and it is nothing but loaded with pots of all types and at very reasonable prices, too. You could put a giant redwood in some of them and the smallest violet in another with every size in between. There are pots everywhere and it is a delight to browse round in; I must have been there an hour!

Flea markets are great places to find them as well. Good luck finding what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of London rose

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi,

My varegiated rose is called some kind of tiger or some similar large cats... I will find out for you if you are interested. It is just dark now outside, so I will not run out. It was also an impulse buy. I would still like to find a large flowering varegiated one.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Hopflower - City of London is very pretty, almost a blush color... if it smells as nice as it looks, it's a winner! I'm trying to make our list for next year based on scent, hardiness, whether it re-blooms, and of course, color, type and shape! Getting a list together with roses that have all those attributes is rather tricky!! But I have found several that meet the criteria. The garden should smell and look wonderful next year!

Soultan - I am not familiar with a rose named after a large cat... but there are so many varieties that I can't remember the names of a lot of them... what color is it?

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Yes, indeed it is a pale pink that turns almost white when fully opened. It is a gardenia type bloom as well.

Here is a bit better picture of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of London Again!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi,
    It is dark again, but I will go out next time I can catch this thread during the day and it makes me remember, and I will take a picture of a flower, if I am not mistaken, there are still blooms on it, as well as on my velvety, dark burgundy red mini. So I will try to take pictures before it is too late.

• soultan
    16 years ago

{{gwi:377431}}
    Purple Tiger (Jacpurr) Rose, smaller blooms.

{{gwi:431172}}
    Purple Tiger (Jacpurr) Rose, I just like this picture.

{{gwi:377430}}
    Red Sunblaze Rose, the miniature

• cindeea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bravo! Beautiful, soultan!!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Thank you. This is the first time I have made pictures of them. I usually just buy things and enjoy them. But now, I felt like doing some pictures, and they turned out pretty well.
    I hope Jodi will like them.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I love them, Soultan!!! They are beautiful roses, and you got great shots of them! I really like the bi-color, or variegated, rose! I'm going to have to add one or more of that type to my 2008 rose order list! I would think that color combination really stands out in the garden... I've never really been interested in them before, but after seeing your picture, I must have at least one!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this post... I fried my keyboard with coffee, and then my computer gave me the dreaded "blue screen of death"! Luckily, Larry was able to fix the computer, and I found a spare keyboard to use... lesson learned: technology and coffee do not mix!

I am planning on taking new photos of my blooming bulbs and other things sometime today, and hopefully, I will find the time to get them posted...

The red mini rose that I've posted pictures of is STILL blooming... we've had a few hard frosts and it's the middle of November!! I can't believe it's still blooming... what an amazing rose!! I just love the minis! I should take some cuttings from this one, and start some new plants to spread to all my friends all over the USA!! If I get good results rooting some cuttings, I will have to send you one, Soultan!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I keep the name tag on them, that is why I know what their name is. They are rose trees. As I said, I just picked them up because I liked them. I did not even care about their price. It happens sometimes. These kind of roses in bloom, can grab me and don't let me go, just jump in my car.

I always see the huge varegiated blooms offered in Ralphs, and I am not really able to get a large flowering one like that. Maybe it is too special or something. For some reason, I love flowers that do not look natural, and varegiated blooms do not really look natural to me. It is like looking at a blooming Chico. Wow. What is that? A flower? An accident? A sick plant? And look at Merenque. Like a brown Christmas tree.
    I did not care about rooting cuttings from these roses, but I might try. Then who knows. Maybe the wind picks them up.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

The bi-color roses are very interesting... I once bought a mini rose tree... but since the graft is up high on the trunk, it can't survive here without digging it up and burying the whole plant every fall... then digging it up and re-planting it every spring... no thanks! Or, growing it as a patio pot plant and keeping it in the garage over winter... well, mine died... it was beautiful for the short time I had it. I only bought it because it was named "Jodi"... :-)

• soultan
    16 years ago

You see, there are instances when you buy something because of some sentimental tie to it... Too bad you could not keep your Jodi.

Sponsored
More Discussions