SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lvtgrdn

Rue, caterpillars, a butterfly

lvtgrdn
15 years ago

I've been active on the Cottage Garden forum for a few weeks, and have read some posts here. I always enjoy Nell's photos, and some of the others on the cottage garden side are also here. I have been gardening for many years, and tend to buy plants that attract butterflies. Now, I am wanting to be more intentional and plant more plants for the caterpillars. I also want to learn more about identification of butterflies and caterpillars.

I read a discussion on rue on the discussion side today, and thought I'd send some photos. I have 2 plants on the east side of my yard, one shaded from the west by our house, the healthiest shaded by the shed and tall plants to the west. I also have one in a pot on the east side of the garage that survived the winter in our egress window.

Four caterpillars have been munching on the plant that is blooming for a couple days. I think 3 of them may be Anise swallowtails. I couldn't find the other one in my books or online. Does anyone know what it is? I had trouble taking close up photos, because my camera would focus on other things, and the cats would be blurry.

{{gwi:446723}}{{gwi:446724}}
{{gwi:446723}}{{gwi:446724}}
I don't remember when I planted this one, but it was within a year or two of the larger one. It had a caterpillar a few weeks ago for a couple days. I moved it today to make room for a day lily.

{{gwi:446726}}{{gwi:446728}}
I don't remember whether I deadheaded this or caterpillars did. It seems like the 3 that are alike are munching on flowers. Is that the part they prefer?

{{gwi:446730}}{{gwi:446731}}
A butterfly on Anise hyssop, a red admiral? (I saw one earlier on my house, looked it up, and thought that's what it may be :

{{gwi:446732}}{{gwi:446733}}
Sue

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor