SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynative

Growning from seed - My Babies

wynative
16 years ago

Hi! I am new to growing Amaryllis. I have recieved a few in the past as Christmas gifts but have never got them to come back for another year.

I bought an Apple Blossom kit for myself, Grandma gave me an Unknown Red kit and I recieved some seeds in a swap labled as 'Peppermint' last December. When the kits bloomed I pollenated them by hand. I then planted lots of seeds and had a great 'crop'! I have given most of them away, saving 3 of each for myself. They were born the first week in June and are 4 months old now. They are between 4 & 6 inches tall.

Apple Blossom Babies

{{gwi:430887}}

Unknown Red

{{gwi:430888}}

Peppermint

{{gwi:430889}}

They are in my office window and seem to very happy. I water twice a week and miracle grow once a month. I am not having any luck finding good information on growing them from seed. I have not 'rested' the babies as I don't expect them to bloom for 2 to 4 more years. I have separated the Peppermint plants but the others are still sharing a pot due to space on my window sill. Should I separate them all so that their roots don't tangle?

The Apple Blossom & Red parents are 'sleeping' right now and have been since Sept 1st, although they have put out a couple pale leaves since being banished to the basement. I plan to bring them back to light November 1st for Christmas blooms, if I am lucky enough for them to. I have not repotted them - should I? They are in the 'kit' pots and dirt they arrived in.

I have looked at alot of the posts here and some of the collections are amazing!! Any information on Amaryllis would be GREAT!

Thanks!

Marie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions