SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austinnhanasmom

Need School Planting Suggestions

austinnhanasmom
13 years ago

Greetings!!! Thanks in advance for suggestions:

Background:

Like most other schools, my son's school has very little money for grounds maintenance, much less beautification.

The weeds and lack of flowers is more then I can handle...

Getting involved...joined the PTA, and pulled weeds.

I have permission to plant, and then maintain, two fairly large planting beds that flank the main entrance.

I have been told that the custodian will water the beds, with automatic sprinklers; guessing these are misters.

I'm fairly certain the soil is less then ideal - this is Colorado after all.

I have ideas of what I like, and what's available in my yard for thinning or seed collecting, but these elementary and middle schoolers could have very different tastes. Trying to please everyone ;))

So I am now in search of planting ideas.

*easy to maintain (will be my job)

*self seeding is wonderful

*lots of inter-seasonal color (this is where I am still clueless)

*perennials and annuals

*easy to winter sow (again, my job)

*survives on neglect

*mostly full sun - eastern Colorado exposure until 1pm

*direct sow is also wonderful

I had mentioned the planting idea to the PTA leader-lady and rumors are spreading!! People have left seed packets in the custodian's mail box. Now I feel like I can't let the people down!!

But winter sowing is such an economical way to achieve such awesome results, I am not intimidated!! Plus, I have such crazy tomato seed varieties, I can easily swap for the needed flower seeds that you all suggest.

My goal is to drag my kids to the school today to measure the beds and take "before" photos, plus remove any extra weeds.

Since many of my flowers are sending seed now, I figure I can direct sow some. Maybe with sand, to mark where the seeds are???

Thanks again, in advance!!

Deb / austinnhanasmom

Comments (22)

Sponsored