SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

What's your Favorite Zinnia?

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

I like the orange profusion and the big ones with bright colors.

Anyone?

Comments (41)

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

I have a new favorite this year 'Wowie Zowie' zinnia, not only was it gorgeous but it flowered like mad, such a bright happy flower!! It was a tad high priced for seed but the investment is worth every penny!!
    I WS it around the first week of April got excellent germination and a beautiful patch of flowers.
    Wendey

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

My favorites this year are called "Starlight". Burpee sold them in Home Depot I think and the seed packet said they were packed to sell in 2006, seed origin Italy! The plants have been blooming non stop all summer and are still blooming now. The flowers are 3 1/2 to 4 inches across and withstood blistering heat in July-Aug and are unbelievable! I can't find them in any catalog either. I have saved a large bag of their seeds but I can't tell if they are hybrid but of course they probably are. Here is a picture of them taken about 10 days ago in my front bed. I started them using the winter sowing method on my back patio in April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starlight Zinnias

• Related Discussions

What's your favorite/leasts favorite seed to harvest?

Q

Comments (5)
    I put moss rose in the zip lock bag, close it and give it a few shakes, seeds fall to the bottom. Milkweed can be tricky, I pick up the pod with seeds holding them both together, then place inside the baggie, hold the seeds and pull them off the "silky stuff" before it unfolds and flies all over. I used to open each of the white seed pods of Night Blooming Jasmine to get the black seeds , but have been told it is best to let the pods with seeds dry out naturally. Easy to germinate no matter. Trying to think if there are any sticky ouchy seeds to gather, nope...Guess I don't grow it if it isn't easy. later Bea
    ...See More

Favorite Zinnia's for cutting

Q

Comments (3)
    I have saved seeds from the Profusion series for several years and they come true. For the taller types, I sow State Fair, I usually save the seeds, but have seldom used them because I can get fresh seeds from the dollar store at 33 cents. This year, I got a special offer from T&M (half price and no S&H) so I sprung for Zowie and Zahara which are quite pricey. I am up north so like Martha, I start mine in May along with my other tender annuals. You may want to save seeds anyway and see what happens. There is very popular thread on the Annuals Forum about growing zinnias, where gardeners have produced some beautiful specimens from saved seeds. You may want to have a look.
    ...See More

Favorite Zinnias

Q

Comments (3)
    Benary's Giants and Burpeeanna my top two favorites. State Fair also ranks right up there. California Giants, Giant Cactus are also highly valued. I grow the tall, large-flowering varities for my bouquets to sell at my Farmer's Markets. Any time you see something like "Renne's Granny's Bouquet" or "Cut-and-Come-Again" you are probably getting a mix of Zinnias rather than a particular variety. That's OK. Zinnias are my top-of-the-line cut flower . . . easy to grow, productive and non-stop.
    ...See More

What are your favorite/ least favorite reseeding annuals?

Q

Comments (3)
    Right now, tomatoes are my LEAST favorite reseeders! They grew everywhere this year, even more than last year. Must have been in the compost and not cooked enough. Hating goldenrod - it tries to take over and there are several different kinds here; I was coddling one thinking it was Balloon Flower. Love: Alyssum Petunias Forget me nots Cosmos Ageratum (they don't flower as fast as indoor starts) Violas, but they petered out this year after a 5 year run First year trial: blue woodruff - asperula - is supposed to reseed. I threw some seed on the ground just a few weeks ago and it is already blooming. Hope it comes back. It's a lovely delicate blue flower.
    ...See More
  • storygardener
    17 years ago

This is such a good question, Bakemom!

I love zinnias! I really like the Crystal White Zinnia, all the profussions (white,yellow, gold, orange...)and the tall pinks, purples, reds, oranges, peach, etc too. Unfortunately, I have many that I grow that I don't actually know the names for.

Last May my friend, Mimi, handed my some leftover zinnia seed, I threw them in the ground and never looked back. They have grown beautifully and bloomed all summer. I will harvest them for WS and sharing soon.

I bought a short big red one that surved the "drought" this summer (me not gardening because of my foot injury) - it's about 12 inches with huge red flowers. I'll save the seeds there, too.

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

Cactus Flowered! They're awesome with giant five inch flowers in tropical brights. So ultra nice!

• Marie of Roumania
    17 years ago

my favorites are the apple-green ones -- zinnia elegans 'green envy.' green round flowers are probably too subtle for most tastes, but i appreciate the kookiness & height & sturdiness & late-blooming tendencies. they look great with russian sage.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:3184}}

• schmily
    17 years ago

Marie - I'm green with envy! ;) I tried the envy zinnias this year and mine were more of a washed out yellow. Where did you get your seeds and what conditions were you growing them in?

My favorite this year was purple prince. They're still blooming although they're starting to go. Want to try some of the profusion next year.

• luvsgrtdanes
    17 years ago

My neighbor has an orange cactus flower that is to die for!! Waiting patiently to snatch the seeds!!!

• drippy
    17 years ago

I have 3: 2 are the same as bakemom's - orange profusion and the big bright zinnias (especially scarlet)

The third is sanvitallia (which I'm pretty sure also goes by the name of zinnia procumbens), Orange Sprite.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I tried the Zowie Yellow Flame this year and they were beautiful! As I mentioned in another thread here, I was never a big zinnia fan, but this season I've seen the light, lol!

I had two other zinnias this season that were beautiful. One was a deep pink with an inner purplish tint, and the other was an orange with again, an inner purplish tint. Unfortunately, I can't remember what they were, but they may have been either Pulcino or Pumila. Both packets of these seeds were mixed colors, so that adds to the confusion.

I'm looking forward to trying some new varieties next year!

:)
    Dee

• chewster
    17 years ago

I plant a new variety every year in addition to the old favorites. This year I replanted Profusion Fire, Magellan series, Cherry Queens, and Liliput.

This is my first year to winter sow and from the previous posts that I have read would the month of April be ideal for winter sowing Zinnias? I am in Southern Michigan.

I am not sure what my new pick will be yet but I keep going back to Parks Pick, they are a double 4" to 5" flowered bloom in seven radiant colors, and the Red Spider which is very unique looking.

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Well, I don't even know what kinds these are, but I had them last year and did some of them this year too. They get almost round and puffy, with several layers and the petals of the flower are rounded. Last year I had them in two different shades of lavendar, fuschia, red, and green. This year, I only sowed the lavenders and green (much to my dismay. Shoulda done 'em all!)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Chewster, just be aware that Red Spider is a tiny bloom. I guess I didn't read the catalog description closely enough, and I was a bit disappointed. The flowers are indeed unusual, but I was looking for something a bit bigger. I should add, though, that I would consider Red Spider again - I'd just have to use it differently.

:)
    Dee

• squirrelspur
    17 years ago

My favorite is the State Fair zinnia. They come in great bright colors and are mildew-resistant, medium-tall, and good for cutting. Another nice one is Persian Carpet, small but beautiful bi-color earth tones. I plant the State Fair every year and it really adds color to my garden esp. when it gets miserably hot and humid and the other plants have to take a rest.

• Nancy
    17 years ago

Good thread! I grew zinnias my first year of WSing thru traded seeds. Zinnias seem to differ a lot in 2nd generations & more each year. For some reason, I only have a few zinnias this year flowering, small flowering ones except for 1 plant with huge red flowers. I think I am going to buy a few new packets in the spring for fillers & let them reseed for a while. I love the profusions too, but I am wanting some of the large flowering ones for cutting, maybe cactus flower. I'll have to look up some of these mentioned

• lblack61
    17 years ago

I just purchased some State Fair and larger flowered Zinnias from Gurneys a couple weeks ago. Some of them were only 1.25 a package. You may want to check them out.

• Marie of Roumania
    17 years ago

schmily -- i dug out the seed packet & the zinnia envys came from burpee seeds; which, i guess, goes to show that i'm not such a prissy little seed snob as i'd thought ...

as for growing conditions, they are planted in two places -- the hell strip has lean, crappy, well-draining soil in pretty much full sun & the other spot has richer soil (amended with more compost) in 1/2-day sun. they're chugging along admirably in both situations & are definitely green, not really yellowy at all. no powdery mildew yet, either, which is happy-making; i'm across from a tidal river & pretty much anything that's susceptible to PM ends up getting it due to all the moisture in the air.

cheers.

Here is a link that might be useful: burpee zinnia envy

• ccoupkir
    17 years ago

I have grown zinnias for over 20 years and this year I finally decided to limit what I grow next year. I will only being growing 'Envy', 'Purity', 'Persian Carpet' (my favs this year), 'Sombrero', 'Enchantress Rose', 'Peppermint Stick', some Profusion series (Cherry and Orange) and 'Scarlet Flame'. I'll probably include one spot with 'Liliput' in the veggie garden as well. Ever since I moved to this house and started wsing, my zins have gotten so tall that they flop alot. Never had this problem before. Don't know if my soil is richer or it's just what happens when you ws them. The only ones I will be harvesting seed from are the Profusion Series and 'Persian Carpet' as I want the others to come true. I love my zinnias, but have had it with the flopping! [g]

• Nurmey
    17 years ago

I decided after growing the striped ones (candy cane/peppermint stick??) for a couple years I don't like them (muddy colors). I DO like the big solid-colored ones so I am going back to them. I particularly like the big red ones which is strange because I don't have a lot of red anything in my yard. The great thing about liking the solid colors is I can usually find them on the 10 cent rack. I love those 10 cent seeds!

• solana
    17 years ago

'Blue Point Mix' aka 'Benary's Giant Mix', 36-42", and 'Ruffles Mix F-1 hybrid', 24-30". These are both mixes of single colors, great for cutting.

• poppy_power
    17 years ago

My favorite zinnias I grew this year.Benarys,Zowie,Chippendales,Cactus,candy cane.I enjoyed!the huge blooms and the tallness of the Benarys the best.

• celeste75
    17 years ago

Name a favorite zinn? No way! I love 'em all! LOL

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

I'm going to try lots of different ones next year, but loved about 1/2 of the ones I tried this year:

Love:
    Giant Enchantress (Pink)
    Purple Prince
    Persian Carpet

Take or leave:
    Envy- Washed out color, and performance not as good as the pinks.
    Canary- MIA will try again next year
    White- not real happy with size or color- it seemed more like a dirty white rather than either a white-white, or a creamy-white.

For next year:

Bring it on! I like the singles to pair with other stuff, so will try patches of this & that. Have seen 'mixes' around the countryside, and prefer the single-variety look.

Reds- Thinking I'll try the Swizzles and a plain red
    Profusion- must find out what all the hooplah is about!
    Magellan- just googled images. Nice!
    Whirligig- neat! A definite for something new

• Kathy46
    17 years ago

Benary's Giant Carmine from select seeds. They are magnificent.

Kathy

• andrea_missouri
    17 years ago

My favorite zinnia is easily Purple Prince. I have had fabulous luck and always get the most gorgous flowers. My next favorite would be the Profusion series. I had orange last year and loved them - I am going to try Fire this year from seed. My least favorite would be Zowie and Green Envy. They just didn't do as well for me, and the green flowers weren't nearly as pretty as I had hoped.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

I have only ever done the solid-colored ones, but this year I am going to try the swizzle ones. My neighbor had them last year, and I was drooling all summer!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Andrea, did your Purple Prince actually look Purple?? I have tried a couple called "Purple" this or that and found them to be much more pink than purple. I'll keep trying.
    I like Envy,the State Fair mix and I would probably love the one called "White Wedding", but, at $4.95 plus shipping for 25 seeds it's too pricey for me.
    Though...I would pay that much for a purple that was truly purple.
    Good thread.

• tranzplantz
    16 years ago

Hands down, it would have to be California Giants mix. The flowers are nearly perfect dahlia-types. They have done amazingly in our hot summer. Infrequent deep watering seems to be the key.

• gunnysax
    16 years ago

beth_b_kodiak, I have tried many of the so-called purples including 'Purple Prince' and 'Violet Queen'.
    The darkest, and most beautiful purple zinnia by far is 'Royal Purple'. Gorgeous giant plants. I WSed mine in April. They are over 3 feet tall, and branching like crazy. Judy

• lynnem
    16 years ago

I planted the Envy and Swizzle ones. They are ok, but I won't plant them again. Next year, I want bright bold colors...

• brightmoregirl
    16 years ago

I haven't met a Zinnia I didn't lIke. They bloom forever, very drought tolerent...and thats been a blessing this summer. I'm going to try the "profusion" this winter. Hope they do as well.
    Jennie

• lblack61
    16 years ago

I've added Magellan and Lilliput to my list.
    The Magellans have large blooms but are short and compact with a lot of blooms. The colors are wonderful (I have one that is a orangish-yellow, paler than Calendula)
    Lilliputs are nice because the blooms get a really full, almost vertically oval shape due to the never-ending tiering of the petals. And they are tall, and have the sturdy stems all Zinns have. With that aspect and the smaller blooms, they are a nice visual complement to other plants

Linda

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

I love the Megellan series because they are shorter but still have the full large bloom. I also love the Profusion - they are fantastic for containers and border plants. Next year I am going to try Park Seed Companies Dreamland series and compare them to the Megellan series. My candystriped ones were very muddy looking and not worth the occassional really pretty one so they are off my list. I will try Zowie again - I lost all mine to the Easter freeze so never got to see them bloom....

Lynne

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

My favorite zinnia is Profusion Cherry. great bloomers. I planted Purity, Envy and Peppermint Stick also. Not too impressed with Peppermint Stick, little striping. Next year I will be back to the solid bright colors. They are great to share with the three little girls who come over each day to "help".
    Bobbie

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

I really wanted to cut back on yellow and orange next year, but I'm going to have to do more zowie zinnias. They are real champs in this heat/drought.

I did Park's Dreamland coral this year, and loved them. They're really struggling in this weather, though. Covered with powdery mildew, blossoms getting smaller and less profuse. Earlier in the year they were gorgeous, though.

Karen

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Checking in with '07 results:

Love:
    Starlight Mix. Not sure where I got the seeds; will have to dig out the packet.
    Dreamland Red & Giant Scarlet- although definitely two different reds, they are working in my 'red bed' this year. Will keep the 'red-reds' separated from the more orangey ones...I think the Scarlet are the more orangey of the two.
    A dwarf red thing- gotta find out what variety it is. 3-4" blooms...very nice...looks like a little Unwin Dahlia.
    Swizzle Red/Yellow. I like it! Will use again next year.

Leaving:
    Livingston Tapestry mix...seems to me these were a different form of Zinnia and began with the letter "L" but off-hand I can't remember. They were an orange/yellow/white mixture.
    Profusion? Didn't happen.
    Giant Canary Yellow- not sure what's up with these...large patio container of them did virtually NOTHING. Blooms are a scant 1" across, despite the glowing text on the packet. I expected a 24" beauty, and got 6" leggy things that could be bested by a dandelion!

Next year: More Starlights.
    More Swizzles.
    State Fair Mix
    Change-up the Red-Bed to maybe deep Purple.
    Will try Magellans since they are getting glowing reviews here.

Question: Can anyone confirm that the Benarys are sturdy? I want to make sure that they are not like some marigolds in that the stems aren't sturdy enough to hold up the bloom. Thanks!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

L is for Linearis. :D

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Yes, Benary's are sturdy, and then some. The trouble is they look terrible unless they are massed. A little like a sajuaro cactus zinnia. A stem going off every which way, but not full enough to be called pretty.

Red Bed didn't make it? What happened?
    Lime

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Anyone have a comparison to the Profusion series versus the Pinewheel type?

• bonnys
    16 years ago

This is my first year ever to plant zinnias. I had decided I didn't like them but this year grew them in rememberance to a favorite aunt who passed away in the spring. I will be growning them from now on as they are VERY rewarding. I grew Thumbelinas and Peppermint Stick. The Thumbelinas are adorable and blooming their fool heads off. The Peppermint Sticks are nice but I will try a different variety next year. I think I will go with solid colors too. I especially liked the pictures of the Apricot Profusion and the Royal Purple. The real red is nice too. Zinnias are a new favorite for me.
    Bonny

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Red bed worked great, lime...I'm just one that likes to change things up every year. Here's an early pic:

{{gwi:9192}}

• muffienh
    16 years ago

The little "dark apricot" profusion zinnias have had non-stop blooms here in NH. They get darker in cold weather, they're a dark red-orange right now. Be aware that they also change color as they age, fading to a lovely pale peach and then kind of yellow. I loved it, but think I will go with the plain apricot next year if they still have that.

No signs of mildew and the critters love them, from butterflies to bees.

Sponsored