SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Major score in MANY ways!

Just went to a seminar at the "Arbor Gate", a fairly local nursery that's rated as one of the best in the US, by Southern Living Magazine. The seminar was give by Chris W, of Southern Bulb Company (interesting story...look it up on line). So he spoke about Crinum, and rain lillies, and all the bulbs that he has to offer (Oxblood lillys, red spider lillies, and daffodils, narcissus, snowflakes, etc that naturalize here in Texas...a tall order in it's own right). I had called Chris last year when my antique bulbs (before they were named H. Gordie) got rot and he had offered some suggestions.

So...I asked him to speak for a moment about amaryllis and how they can be grown in the garden, will naturalize etc. Before his talk, there were some sales tables and I instantly recognized the strappy foliage of Hippeastrum. I think I hit it BIG...I got a pot of H. Evansiae (sort of pricey, but worth every penny for a YELLOW Hippi!!) and another pot FULL of H. Voodoo. The Evansiae had a healthy plant and at least 1 offset whereas the H.Voodoo has probably over a dozen (original bulb and offset)....anyone need a Voodoo....offer a trade.

BUT WAIT...there's more!!! Chris pointed me in the direction of someone locally who can propagate H. Gordie for me and then he said he'd be happy to offer Gordie on his site!! Whooo hooo...So, I'll have to explore the offer a little more (first the propagator)...he was thrilled that I was able to save the H. Gordie bulbs last year...and he had offered encouragement when it was looking grim, etc. What a nice guy!!

What a great day...and it's only half over!!

Have a great weekend!

Kristi (floating just a little)

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of H. Evansiae

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions