SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Christmas cactus blooms (Thanksgiving cactus really)

grant_in_arizona
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just for fun I thought I'd share a couple of pics of one of my several "Christmas cacti" (Thanksgiving cacti really, Schlumbergera truncata hybrids) in bloom.

I really like them, as do the hummingbirds, LOL. I've had several of them for quite a few years and find them really easy to keep happy. I just leave them outside in a shady spot,or a spot with just morning sun, and water them when dry. I DO bring them indoors for July and August, otherwise they get a bit stressed and drop leaf segments, but they're back outside by Labor Day and that's where they stay. Most of mine are unlabeled, but this one (miraculously, LOL) still has the variety name, 'Dark Marle':

{{gwi:426238}}

{{gwi:426239}}

Are you growing them inside/outside? We'd love to hear more about yours.

I also have one true Christmas cactus (S. bridgesii) that I started from a single segment, though the plant is still pretty modest in size. No signs of buds on it yet, but maybe early in the new year.

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy, and share about yours if you're growing them. I think they're certainly a better long-term plant that you-know-whats (poinsettias, LOL).

Take care,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlumbergera 'Dark Marle' bloom up close and personal. :)

Comments (9)