SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' anyone?

northerner_on
12 years ago

Hello everyone: I have been lurking a lot these days - very busy since I started vegetable gardening in earnest. How rewarding to have produce from your garden on the table. This post is about Lemon Queen. Someone sent me the seeds in a trade 2010 and I wintersowed them, planted them in two places: beside my west fence (full sun), and next to my buddliea. They both grew to about 3 feet last year, little spindly plants, with a few pretty yellow flowers. This year the one next to the fence took off like a shot!! It grew to at least ten feet, with large erect stems branching at the tops. It was erect until a recent storm after which I had to stake it. The other plant grew to about five feet, was more airy with lots of beautiful blooms that went well with the purple of the buddleia. The 'thug' as I call it, has produced sporadic blooms, and to make things worse, it now has powdery mildew. Has anyone grown this plant? Will the bloom be more profuse in later years? Is there any way to control it? I have to decide whether to get rid of it because it is taking up so much space my hollyhocks have not bloomed -they are still about 3 feet tall and I am sure they are doomed. Here are a couple of pics. of the two. Let me know your experience. Thank you.

The thug

{{gwi:431190}}

Smaller Cousin

{{gwi:431191}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!