SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Forced/Extended Dormancy...vs. Activating the Growth Cycle????

I live in NYC, and starting in January through March, the days can be very dark and dreary, and plants that are actively growing can get very little sun, even if grown in a south-facing window.

Question: .... Is there any advantage by storing dormant Hipp. bulbs in the refrig. until Feb-March, so that they could start their growing cycle in better lighting/day-length/full sun, conditions? .... I just got a very large, jumbo-size bulb that was shipped in a dormant state, and, now I'm wondering if I should continue to keep it dormant, or, should I just plant the bulb now, and restart the growing cycle, and keep it growing throughout the dark winter months, into the Spring, Summer, 2012, etc. and then wait for the natural dormancy-cycle to kick in again in Fall, 2012? (How's that, for a run-on sentence)?

If, when storing bulbs in the refrig, do you keep the bulbs buried in slightly damp milled sphagnum moss, or, do you store them dry?

I have to make a decision right away. Should I continue to keep my new bulb dormant, .... or, should I plant it now, and let it grow?

HELP !!!!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions