SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

Winter Sown Dahlias

dawiff
14 years ago

These have actually been flowering for a couple of weeks now. They are all growing in pots in MG potting soil. They started blooming just before our horrible heat wave (100+ degrees) last week, but I kept them well watered, and they hardly skipped a beat.

Red Collarette Dahlia -- I love this one, I'll definitely be saving seeds from it! Red is my favorite color. I'd like to have a bunch of these next year!

{{gwi:338035}}

Here it is in the pot -- it's about two feet tall.

{{gwi:429733}}

This pretty yellow and pink bicolor came from seeds that Fran sent me. I plan on sowing loads of this too!

{{gwi:429734}}

Unfortunately, the flowers on this third one, which came from the same packet of Collarettes as the red one, remind me of used tissues! They are a washed-out yellow, and the petals all have brown streaks, so as soon as they open, the flowers look like they are already old. Bummer.

{{gwi:429735}}

This gorgeous red and white bicolor wasn't winter sown, I bought it at Lowe's. But I love it, and I've already gotten a handful of seeds from it. I hope the seeds come true, but we'll see. The label says Harlequin. It's only about a foot tall, but I just love the flowers. If I get enough seeds from it, I'll put a packet or two in token's swap.

{{gwi:429736}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored