SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Surgery On Rotting Bulb!

16 years ago

I just completed surgery on my new Amalfi bulb... I hope I did the right thing... I've been watching it lately because it had these tiny red splotches on it, even though it was healthy just a couple of weeks ago when I planted it... I had it planted in regular potting soil, and I neglected to peel off enough of the outer brown skin before I planted it. Well... apparently rot set in... and tonight when I checked, it had a funny odor to it and the red had spread down below the soil level...

I immediately un-potted it and washed off the soil... there was a nasty rotten spot on its lower side, just above the basal plate, and more than half of the roots were rotten and dead. I took a very clean, sharp knife and removed all of the rotten part and all of the dead roots. I washed it off, taking care not get water in the crown.

Then, I completely dusted it with cinnamon and re-potted it in coco coir mixed with vermiculite, which made a nice fluffy mixture. I added a few drops of fertilizer and some Superthrive when I hydrated the coco coir. I didn't even water the bulb in as I normally would... I just made sure that the coco coir mix contacted good with the remaining roots.

I really hope I've salvaged Amalfi... it is in the process of giving 3 scapes! Not just 1 or 2, but 3! I hope it doesn't decide to abort the scapes and go into recovery mode, growing roots instead of scapes... although, if it must to survive, that would be ok. I can wait another year before seeing the flowers.

This is all my fault! I water from the top, I used regular potting soil, and I have a tendency to over water... I kill plants with kindness if I'm not careful... Another lesson learned... Now I'm depressed...

As soon as my order of cocopeat gets here, I'm going to check every bulb I have and re-pot those that look even slightly like they aren't happy.

I tried to take pictures to show what I was doing and why I was doing it, but my camera chose now to run out of battery power. I'll take pictures in the morning of the remnants of the surgery and the newly potted Amalfi... (heavy sigh)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions