SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paxfleur

Amaryllis/Hippeastrums in VA?

16 years ago

Does anyone here know a good local source for Amaryllis bulbs in Northern VA that is affordable? I have the usual "White Christmas", "Minerva", "Apple Blossom", and the traditional red colored amaryllises in my small collection but was hoping to try to expand my collection to possibly new, named, and even more colorful ones. I've looked at Van Engelen's but three bulbs of each variety just seems to be too many bulbs of the same thing for me (although the prices seem like a pretty good bargain). I've looked on eBay but they seemed a little limited in the variety that is available. I've taken a slight tour of the pictures that members have posted on this forum and I am quite amazed by all the beauty in everyones homes. Any help/advice/sources would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (23)

• 16 years ago

Here are three mail order companies that have nice selections and decent prices:

http://www.royalcolors.com/amaryllis/index.php

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Category&_category=Amaryllis

http://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/search/listgenus.php?id=31&page=1

I think one of them is even in VA! Hope this helps!

• 16 years ago

Hello Paxfleur. Welcome to the forum. There are two bulb companies that I know of in VA. Brent and Becky's and Van Bourgondien. B&B sells and grows some of their bulbs in their garden/nursery. Sometimes they even have a garden tour and end of spring warehouse sale. Van Bourgondien I think just imports bulbs and retails them here in US. If they are drivable from your place, that's good cause you won't be having shipping charges to pay, just the 5%VA sales tax. If they are not, you can wait a while and visit HD or Lowes like Oct. or Nov. They come out with some other varieties too. If you are willing to pay shipping charges, Jodic got those info above for you. If you happen to go this way, Southwest VA, I'll be happy to share you some of my bulblets (babies). Good luck on your search!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Hippeastrum/Amaryllis Bulbs

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi. I don't have variegated Iris... I have AMARYLLIS "Baby Doll" white with green "throat" to trade for your "Butterfly amaryllis" or Jacobean Lilies... I also have some other plants that are not in my trade list like Amazon Lily (Eucharis), Spider Lily both are limited qty, etc... Also, please, check my trade list for other plants. Please, let me know if interested. Thank You. This post was edited by julia-fl on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 16:25
    ...See More

Have: Hippeastrum/Amaryllis seeds

Q

Comments (8)
    Nah, for the other flowers I have some with such tiny seeds, I have to catch them that way. But I think the Hipp. I am going to have to hand pollinate cuz last yr the thing didn't even put off any pod at all and I had it outside when it bloomed.
    ...See More

Phoenix Hippeastrum/Amaryllis for outdoor naturalizing

Q

Comments (11)
    I love this topic. Some of my bulbs are living in Az without my supervision for months on end. I have learned some things from the past hippie casualties. I would love to know what dirt mix you all are using for a fast draining soil especially if you live in AZ and already are having success. I have encountered problems regulating the amount of water used in drip system for my pots for the summer months verses winter months. The pots retained too much water and many bulbs rotted. The bulbs planted in the ground in a similar situation had more success. I got rid of most of the pots I previously used and my father built raised beds for my bulbs. Additionally the drip system was refined. In one of the raised beds I used 1/3 perlite, 1/3 fine multch, and 1/3 poultry grit. In the second raised bed I used 1/2 perlite and 1/2 fine multch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will eventually have to move all remaining bulbs back to AZ this summer and do not want many casualties in this transition. AZ
    ...See More

Rare Orange Double Flowered Amaryllis,Hippeastrum puniceum

Q

Comments (3)
    Rare Orange Double Flowered Amaryllis Hippeastrum puniceum images come from ebay and Internet
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

Hi Paxfleur -

I live in Annapolis now, but used to live in Alexandria, and found that lots of the NoVa nurseries had quite good selections of Amaryllis bulbs come October/November. By the time you pay shipping on mail order bulbs, in many cases a bulb purchased at a retail nursery is quite comparable in price. Plus (and a big plus from my point of view), I get to hold the bulb in my hand and make a choice from a selection of them. Not sure where you are, but Campbell and Ferrara on Rt. 236 between Alexandria and Annandale always had good bulbs and a nice selection.

Now, my closest big nursery is Homestead Gardens in Davidsonville (also an easily doable drive from Northern Virginia), and they've had a very nice selection every year (and Homestead is a great nursery in general, it's worth the drive to see it).

- Steve

• 16 years ago

Why does it seem that all the really nice nurseries are in the southern half of the US?! I'd love to have giant bulb companies and really great nurseries close enough to day-trip to! We have Burgess right down the road, but they seem to have mostly shrubs, trees and some perennials.

I really don't mind ordering from catalogs, especially if others tell me they've ordered and have been pleased. Right now, I'm waiting for the home center stores to get their bulbs in. I'm hoping for a decent selection this year.

The last couple of years, the only bulbs I saw in the stores were the usual Minerva, Apple Blossom, Red Lion, and a couple of others. It would be so nice to see a large display with more than 5 or 6 varieties...

• 16 years ago

Thank you Jodi, Maria, and Steve for all the information provided. I will keep all the information on hand for this season. For those in VA, have y'all had any luck with Merrifield Garden Center? I'm definitely going to try to visit as many local sources as possible and will do catalog orders if needed. Thanks again for your time.

• 16 years ago

Hello Virginians! Isn't the weather in VA georgeous now? It feels like spring. I wish I was closer to you guys. Although I am in VA, DC area is still 7-8 hours drive for me depending on the traffic. I had to drive all the way to Fairfax before for my immigration stuff. I also have a brother in Baltimore that I get to visit 1-2 times a year. I live in the southern western part of VA where TN, KY and VA meets right in the foothills of Cumberland mountians. It is very remote but awesomely beautiful. If you guys happen to come this way or maybe going to Dollywood, please come by visit if you have the time. I am an hour away from I-81(TN side).

• 16 years ago

Just my opinion: All the bulbs I got from Brent and Becky's turned out to be sick, distorted blooming, or not true to name. I am absolutely not happy with Brent's...

• 16 years ago

(((((Soultan))))) Welcome back! I missed you!

• 16 years ago

Yes, soultan... glad to see you back!

I haven't ordered from B&B's yet, but I must say that they have a nice catalog, and a decent selection, it appears.

I am expecting a small order from John Scheepers, so I'll be able to let you know how that turns out pretty soon. My "small order" is one bulb that I snuck in on a friend's order sheet! I'm getting Amalfi! I would have liked to get more, but I'm saving my money for the joint order!! :-) Plus, I don't want to get too many this year... what I have coming is just the perfect amount.

• 16 years ago

I am waiting for the big package, but still haven't received any shipping information... I will let you know as soon as it is shipped out to me...

I was happy to see B&B's offers last year, then ended up with a lot of sick bulbs and ugly, deformed flowers... Never again. I will order from others. The company is nice though. They have corrected the immediate problem, but I am sick of complaining about everything. I wish I didn't have to. But I really wanted a Vivaldi, and I got an "accident."

• 16 years ago

Soultan...You wanted a Vivaldi? You should have ordered Melusine from JS last season. I did. All their Melusine turned out Vivaldi. And the Vivaldi i ordered from B&B turned out to be a pretty mutt.

I told myself I'd get just 20 varieties this season. Arrrrghhh!! It's just first week of October and I got 27 bulbs ordered already (joint order included). I am so weak!!!

By the way, check this out... www.kvbwholesale.com It is the wholesale company of Van Bourgondein which is here in VA. Nice selection with both SA and Dutch varieties, decent price and shipping cost is just 15%. I have to pay 5% VA sales tax unfortunately. I am eyeing on their Black Pearl and Santana. C'mon, let's go shopping. I am so so weak!!!

• 16 years ago

Aw, man!! I'm looking at that site right now... drooling a little... I must be strong, I must not want more bulbs... aw, maaan!!! I don't have anything left in my current Hippi fund... Looks like I gotta start saving my pennies again!

They have varieties I haven't seen yet, like Gold Medal and Moonlight... not a bad selection, really... Santana is sold out, looks like...

How did I not know about this site? I thought I had about every bulb site bookmarked! But again, they're only sold in lots of three... or more!

I really, really need to define my list of must-haves and wants before I get out of hand with the collecting! I didn't want to get too many too fast!

Oh, man.... :-)

• 16 years ago

Good price for 3 per bag, but I don't want three per bag again... I would have to find someone to share them with again... I have Gold Medal. Pretty pale orange. Moonlight was sent back to Bulbmart of e-bay. Bad quality company. so I have to buy some this season.
    I have about 30-40 bulb sites bookmarked... I am sure they are not all of them. And we don't have our bulb site up yet...

• 16 years ago

I don't think I'd put up a bulb website unless I was going to sell them online. I wouldn't just put up a site to show them off... that would be beyond my technological understanding these days!

Which do you think is better to have... Orange Sovereign, Gold Medal or Supreme Garden? I know they're all a little different, but if you could only choose one, which would you choose? I like Supreme Garden the best, I think. It has a more natural look to it.

• 16 years ago

Awwwww man! Santana sold out? Awww man! I haven't really gotten to their website for I have their printed catalogue right here with me for like 2 month already. That really sucks!!!

I think I'll be fine though. My Van Engelen order is shipped and arriving on Friday. Dum de dum...dum de dum...

• 16 years ago

Lucky you, Maria! You get to play with bulbs sooner than some of us do!!

I'm waiting for my Amalfi bulb to arrive... and then there's our joint order... those will keep me busy when they get here! Can't wait!! This is so much fun!

• 16 years ago

I went to their website and checked it out. You can put Santana on a "want list". If this is a Dutch hybrid, which I'm almost certain it is, then they still do not have them here in US. Most of the Dutch amaryllis bulbs should still be in cold storage at this time or on their way here in US. Unless, they were harvested earlier than the rest or did not complete the required length of storage.

Hmmmmm...makes me wonder. Our Walmart here has their usual amaryllis kit out already. The bulbs are so small like 20-24 cm only with not much roots. Very immature bulbs I'd say for those varieties. I pity the customers who would buy them. They will be up to some disapointments.

• 16 years ago

jodik,

Supreme Garden is a klister amaryllis. It comes as a bunch of smaller bulbs and they have to be potted all together, and they will bloom mostly the same time, so they look like a small amaryllis forest. Gold Medal is really nice and quite compact, coming from Hadeco, so it is easier to keep, but Orange Souvereing is a true beauty, huge orange flower. I love that variety, but it might need special care due to its long scape that might tip over from the huge flowers...

Maria,

What did you order from Van Engelen? They are multiple bulbs too, so if you don't mind giving up some for me, we might be able to do business back and forth. If I cannot get Rembrandt Van Rijn locally, I would really love to get one...

• 16 years ago

Ooh! Now I really want Supreme Garden! That sounds so cool... a little orange flower forest! They all sound nice, and I could always get supports for the stems on the taller ones. They could also be planted in squatter pots with stones in the bottom for weight. That might help.

Gosh... with everyone talking about their orders and all the bulbs coming in, I really want to get more than I'm already getting! This is too exciting! I'm on pins and needles waiting for my bulbs, and to hear about everyone else's bulbs!!

• 16 years ago

Soultan...I am getting Miracle, Rozetta and Alfresco from VE. Most of these will be sent out as gifts so my friends/families can have some flowers for Thanksgiving. I can share some to you if you want any of them.

I have 1 Rembrant ordered from JS. I can always call them up and change that to 2 and send it to you. I will need to call them up anyway and add another bulb of Papilio 'Improved'. Anything else you need from JS? They should be shipping my SA varieties by next week.

I also have an order from Wayside Gardens. One each of Piccolo, Milady and Zombie. This is a gamble for me. I have ordered live plants from them before but not bulbs. Check them out if you'll be interested in any of their varieties and let me know. Yes their shipping is killing me!

So far, I have only seen Moonlight offered by VB in it's wholesale and retail website ( www.dutchbulbs.com). The price here is a lot more expensive. I do have a $25 coupon from dutchbulbs though if I purchase more than $50. We can always use it if we need to.

If Santana won't be avilable in VB, I think I will go ahead and order Black Pearl and White Peacock. That will cover their $50 minumum.

• 16 years ago

Oooh Maria you are buying up big this year! I do envy you. I think if I had all those varieties available to me I would do the same.

Jodik,
    If you do a search, Maria has posted up photos of her supreme garden some where on this forum. they are amazing!

• 16 years ago

I will do that, Dizzy... The catalog pictures are amazing, so I'm sure Maria's will be gorgeous!

There are two very good reasons why I need to curb my enthusiasm and be happy with the amount of bulbs I already have coming in... First, I must collect them slowly so I am certain I can care for them all properly. I need to find out what a comfortable number of plants is. I can always add, but it would be horrible if I had to take some away. Second, I must stick to my budget, and be patient until I make more money to spend on plants.

I'm happy to be getting 6 bulbs from the joint venture, and the Amalfi from John Scheepers. Plus, I just got the Papillio and 2 extra bulbs, and Cindee sent me some baby bulbs, as well. I went from having 2 to having 7 in a very short time! And I'm about to get 7 more! That's 14 bulbs almost overnight!

Like I've said before... I don't know how you guys do it, having such huge collections, plus all your little seedlings! I can see how you got so many! I just can't see how you keep it all straight and care for everybody so well! It's not just an adventure, it's a job! LOL!

• 16 years ago

Maria,
    I'd like Piccolo and Zombie. If I cannot get it locally at the one place I know that sells Hadeco bulbs almost exclusively and your order is not shipped, I'd go for your offer... Zombie looks like a really interesting variety. I wanted to get it for long time, but hate that company's shipping costs. They also have that expensive Evergreen variety... I am thinking about ordering, but if you are ordering already, maybe we can cross ship. I send the minis that we bought and you can get these varieties and put it in my package... Think about it... You know my e-mail address for suggestions.
    I also posted about Stars and Stripes. Expensive bulb, but as I see offered online, it would be even more expensive with shipping.

Sponsored
More Discussions