SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Pot Users.......Let' Talk......

I need to know about the different types of pot.....Is there a simple rule-of-thumb regarding soil volume to bulb size in inches? And what about pots? Size does matter! If two pots, each holding two gallons of soil, one deep and smaller in diameter, the other much wider, but shallower, ... which would you use for potting Hipp. bulbs? I read the FAQs and they recommend a very large pot for good bulb growth, but neglect to mention POT DEPTH. Do the bulbs "care" if roots grow shallow and spreading, or, deep and confined?

If you guys out there in "Amaryllis World" say big pots are necessary, I may consider planting my bulbs in a Rubbermaid Storage Tubs, or, small plastic wastepaper/garbage "baskets"...(the decorative baskets that are used in bathrooms). They are cheaper than any pot of comparable volume, and tubs are straight-edged, so they could be placed side-by-side without wasting space. They also weigh far less than clay pots. Of course, I'll drill or melt holes into the bottoms for drainage. Does this sound like a plan, or what?

Opinions please, ....What pot would you recommend?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions