SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauln_gw

New To Bog Gardening

pauln
9 years ago

Hello Folks. I've got a small patch (approx. 8'x10') that is wet about half of the year. I've built a ramp that runs around this spot and leads up my steep hill. The base is solid shale. I'm putting in a bog garden that will eventually be about 3' deep. This will be full of very wet soil, with no open water, save for a small pan I hope to encourage tadpoles in.

I know I need a pond liner to retain the moisture. I've read that the liner needs to have several holes poked into it, to encourage an exchange of water with the underlying surface, I suspect.

My question is do I really need to poke the holes, or just put the liner in as is? Seeing as these liners aren't cheap, it would be a shame to err on this. Also, I've got a lot of landfill compost ready to add. Should I supplement anything else like peat, sand, lime? I do not have any decent native soil at all as I sit on a mountain of shale bedrock.

I'm really excited about attempting to grow wet plants for the first time ever. Any advice is welcome!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County