SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sean_mckinney_gw

Well now this is a surprise, I didnt realise there was a seperat

Sean_McKinney
19 years ago

e bog garden section.

Ok my post, the course of action for what follows has largely been sorted out following a thread on AWGS, it is, hit the books. Anyway I will post the starter here, just to see.

Questions first. Question 5 is probably not relavant on the board.

1a) What 'soil' mixture would you suggest for a proper wet bog? Reasons would be appreciated. NOTE THERE IS NO POND FILTRATION FUNCTION INTENDED FOR THIS BOG. If I use a large portion of peat the soil I save would come in quite handy elsewhere as I have levees to raise around the filter tanks and streams and am all but out of spare soil.

1b) If I use a lot of peat would it be wise to limit the area of the pond bog connection? See paragraph 1 below.

2) To what depth would you suggest I dig the bog? Reasons would be nice.

3) do you think the bog would allow enough seepage as described in the 2nd paragraph below to act as an overflow path for the pond.

4) To what heights would you lay the soil above 'water level? See the 3rd paragraph below.

5) What plants would you suggest? paragraph 4 below

I have room, if I have the liner, to make a lined bog in the region of 8'L x 5'W x?D or slightly bigger. I am thinking of having the the pondside side of the bog connected to the pond by a less than 1" deep opening along virtually the full length L of the bog, folds in the pond's liner permitting. This would allow a natural pond-bog interface and the 'water level' in pond and bog would be essentially the same.

My intention is for the bog be the route taken by excess pond water to the outside world, so, I was thinking of having the "outside world's" edge of the bog liner set to 1/8" below the pond-actually-overflowing-level of the pond and for any excess water in the pond to seep through the bog to the 'overflow'. The pond's water surface area will be around 150 sqft. If it is thought seepage through the bog wont be sufficient I could always have a canal running through the bog to the overflow side.

Re levels of soil relative to the water, I am thinking of having a small 'natural' pool in the centre of the bog which would be at least 2", but perhaps up to 6", deep in the centre, this would be surrounded by 'soil' rising to perhaps 4" above water level and dropping back to water level at the boundaries of the bog.

Planting, I was thinking of ringing the small pond with normal low rushes from the garden but the wisness of that is under debate as I am concerned about a ring of rushes acting as a corral for frogs in the event of a heron visit. I think moss patches through out the surface of the bog would look good, other than that I an all ears. The bog within the wildlife pond (normal soil with a bit of peat mixed in, 1" at most above pond level and mainly rushes) is not looking as good as I had hoped, hence my seeking guidance.

Pond 3 is primarily a big plant tank and is not intended to carry a heavy fish load. That I know of, it is now home to 2 2" trout, hopefully I have got rid of all the goldfish that were transfered in on plants as eggs.

Comments (3)

Sponsored