SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ituzzip

Grub eating hippeastrum bulbs from the inside

pizzuti
12 years ago

A couple years ago I set a pot full of 3 mature hippeastrum bulbs outside on a partially-shaded deck for the summer, starting at the end of May.

Around September or so, I brought them back in. It was not for a couple more months that I noticed trouble.

The bulbs had just begun setting out a new flush of leaves - which got to about 4 inches long, then died! The existing mature leaves were still healthy. The largest bulb tried again to set out a flush of leaves - this time they got only an inch or so above the neck of the bulb before dying.

Then that bulb began forming a bunch of bulblets on the outside of the bulb, followed by what appeared to be bulblets INSIDE the bulb itself, sending up leaves from the very center of the plant.

By now it's probably November or so...I dug the bulbs out and found out what the culprit was - something had drilled huge holes into the bulbs from below the soil line, near the basal plate. I got some tweezers and pulled out, from each bulb, one fat brown grub. In only one case was it clear that the creature could have eaten the growth node in the lower center of the bulb. I re-planted the bulbs.

A couple months later, maybe February/March, the plants were still failing to put out new leaves from the main bulb, yet all of them now were creating many perfectly healthy bulblets with lush leaves. I pulled the bulbs out again, and found 2-3 more fat grubs in each one. They had probably eaten between 1/4 and 1/3 of the inside each bulb.

I dunked the bulbs in neem mixed with water, rinsed out the "holes," found one more grub (dead this time, killed by the neem oil) in one of the bulbs, and was satisfied that they were completely eradicated. (And no new signs of them since.)

Each of the bulbs eventually split apart from the inside into 2-4 new small plants that were (and are still) connected to the basal plate, which is normal when you cut hippeastrum bulbs apart - there is no mystery about why that happened; the grubs must have eaten the growth nodes in each bulb and the plant had no choice but to give itself away to multiple new clones.

I have no question about how to get rid of the grubs - the tweezers worked, the neem worked, and in any case the insects are now definitely gone.

I am curious if anyone has any insight into what the heck they were. Unfortunately, I did not think of taking pictures at the time.

I am sure it is some sort of beetle, but it's bizarre that there are no native plants here that produce such large bulbs, nor any plants that produce bulbs on the surface, to give any native insect species this sort of habit.

It's also bizarre that the insects are apparently on some prolonged life cycle so that they had not matured to the adult stage, pupated, emerged and flown off by winter.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions