SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sven556

How do I plant elephant's ear?

sven556
23 years ago

I am planning a small bog this spring made from a large rubbermaid storage container. How do I plant taro? also, should I put holes in the bottom of this container, if so what size and how many?

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments (72)

• Luvwest
    21 years ago

I agree with cindi and wolflover. I think you have to start them in dirt, once it is warm enough they will sprout. You need to have a big enough root system to absorb plenty of moisture before you can put them in water. If you submerge the bulbs before then they will rot. Of course I have had them rot in the ground too. All of my EE's and taro and some alocasia are in pots in water. Not all alocasia will tolerate standing in water, best way I know to kill Alocasia Amazonica. Also they will not sprout until temps rise above 60 or 70 degrees.

Mia

• mommajoan
    21 years ago

I just saw this message and I had the same problem. The advise I got was simply, Bulbs in dirt....risomes in water.
    Mine went in water and is growing well.
    Mommajoan

• Related Discussions

How to plant Elephant ear

Q

Comments (11)
    Chateauclubcrest, If I left them outside in their pots, they would all die for sure! We're too wet and cold here in Michigan. SW Ohio may or may not be warm enough in winter. I just don't know. The normal procedure here is to dig them up and store them dry over the winter and restart them in spring. But they will work as potted plants indoors as well. One year when we were expecting an early freezing rain, I dragged the very large pots into the house. Never got them back out until the next spring! LOL Inside in their pots by the patio door they live quite nicely all winter. What usually happens is that the large leaves (which are way to big inside the house anyway when they have been outside all summer) die off slowly, giving me back my kitchen :~), and are replaced by new smaller leaves which in the case of Black Magic are more olive color than black when inside the house. It still makes a pretty velvety-leaved plant. Lime Zinger does the same, however Frydek seems to sulk. I stick it over in a sunless corner of the kitchen along with a single Clivia miniata in its own pot and let them sit out the winter without water. Frydek goes dormant. The Clivia keeps its leathery leaves and looks exactly the same for 3 or 4 months. In March/April I give them each a drink of water and Frydek reawakens. I continue watering it as it starts to put out leaves. The Clivia still sits there looking the same! I may or may not give it another drink of water until late May when I put it outside again. Both take copious amounts of water outside in summer and moderate (to almost none for the Clivia)amounts inside when they are waking up in spring.
    ...See More

Elephant Ear Planting & Winter Hardness??

Q

Comments (1)
    Mine have survived for at least 10 years in the ground. The roots survive(they are Massive). We have clay loam soil and have never needed to fertilize. I did lose a couple of bulbs when I planted too early and they rotted in the cold wet ground. You have the name right. Al
    ...See More

Elephant Ear plant

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow! That's an amazing plant!! What size container would work for 1. I got a bulb at walmart recently. I'm going to put it near the kids pool to help shade a little. I tried one a few years ago in the ground and it didnt make it. From what ive read here, it was most likely lack of water. Thanks, JoJo
    ...See More

When do you put in your elephant ears, hostas etc,? And how deep

Q

Comments (2)
    Seedmama, I think I'll always have Neil Sperry's voice in my head telling me what to do and how to do it, and that's a good thing! I do think May 1st was great advice for Dallas and the whole D-FW metro area perhaps even all the way up to the Red River. I still plant them May 1st (but, remember, I am so far south that I have Texas on three sides of me) if the soil temp is consistently 70 degrees and the 10-day forecast doesn't have any wicked cold weather in it. For everyone in OK north of the Arbuckles, I would think May 15th would be a perfect date as long as the soil is warm and the forecast has warm nights in it. If you want to get an early start, Momfryhover, plant them in one or two gallon pots in potting soil and place them someplace warm....a concrete patio or driveway slab would be ideal. You'll have to move them inside on cold nights though. Planting early doesn't get you much growth if the soil and nights are cold because the bulbs just sit there and sulk....or, if it is wet and cold, they rot. For hostas, I don't grow them here since I discovered, after planting 30 of them here our first year, that they are "deer chow". When I planted them in Texas and here, I liked to plant the crown of the smaller ones 1/2" to 1" below the soil surface in black gumbo clay or a little deeper in really well-drained sandy loam. With the really large hostas, you can put the crown 1" to 2" below the soil surface in well-drained loamy soil, but a little more shallow than that in clay. (Really, clay ought to be well-amended for hostas and, in that case, you could plant them 1" to 2" below the soil surface.) I think the whole issue of planting hostas deeply (or how deeply to do it) is more critical in colder climates where repeated winter freezing/thawing of the ground can result in frost heave, wherein plants are literally heaved upward out of the ground and then freeze to death. If you plant the hosta crown just a bit below the soil surface and mulch well (mulch around the plant, but not on top of the crown), the plants should do just fine. Dawn
    ...See More
  • ubiquity
    21 years ago

i wonder if you could expect results if you set a tuber,rhizome,bulb atop a jar of water in a plastic bag. do you think it would throw off root stock? be kinda neat as an indoor plant trained to water...alot of aroids can be.

one of these days,i'm gonna have to try that! :)

• plantman_IL
    21 years ago

all of the three kinds of elephant ear CAN be grown in water. they just can't be submerged. leave an inch or two of the bulb above the water and they'll do fine. but i have to agree that they do get bigger on land for some reason. so a bog is better than a pond. the one in my border now has a bulb the size of a basketball.

• Funhouse911
    21 years ago

I just bought an elephant ear bulb from Lowes 3-4weeks ago. According to directions, it said to wait until all danger of frost before planting. I live in SC. The way i figure it, I still have a good week or two to be positive they won't be killed by frost.
    This is my dilemma. During the few weeks after I bought it, I had it tied up in the bag awaiting the time for planting. I just checked it, and I've discovered that it has already started rooting and sprouting. What should I do? According to the "danger of frost" theory, I still have probably 2-3 weeks left before I can plant them outside. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pat Gulledge

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Pat I would pot it up and put it in a sunny window in the house. Bring it outside on nice days when you can, inside if there is any danger of frost... you should be fine.

Now my question- I just bought two grapefruit sized Elephant Ear bulbs at Walmart (I assume they are Colcasia althought the label doesn't say). The instructions say to plant them 6-12 inches apart! They must be kidding. Each leaf is over 12" wide!

What is the recommended spacing?

What is the recommended spacing?

• judecram
    21 years ago

Hi, I'm a total novice about bulbs and elephant ears. I just bought a bulb at Walmart (EE) but no idea what kind of EE it is. It is round about the size of a grapefruit with no roots or shoots. How do I know which end is up when I plant it?

• jroot
    21 years ago

Adrianna G, I spaced mine about a foot apart. They were spectacular to say the least. The root system they develop is amazing. Don't worry. I always figure that crowded is good. Makes 'em fight for space. Onoy the best survive.

Judecram, the top end is slightly more flat. Stick em in. They'll grow anyway. Mine are still dormant. I think soon, I'll consider planting them up. Actually, I did keep one inside all winter. It is in a sunny window, and doing quite well, although not nearly as big as they were outside (the leave was as large as my wife's torso). Amazing!

Good luck. How I envie your early spring. I still have 5 feet of snow on my front yard.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kenpaul
    21 years ago

i was given taro "corns", i think that's what you call them. about 5 small ones. in march i started them in the house. they grew real fast and had large leaves before i planted them in the back yard. a nice display. very attractive.

did reall well, at least 5 feet tall and big leaves. when i dug them up in the fall, each plant produced 10 to 20 new "corns". on the roots.

gave most of them away. kept enough for me to re-plant this summer. i kept them dry in a plastic bag in the basement for the winter.

have started them inside.

no special care. they like full sun, hot nights,
    and wet feet. i was told that you should cut the old leaf after a new one starts to grow. i was told that you should do this for first 2 or 3 leaves. then stop.

• green_acres
    21 years ago

I bought a "Colocasia Esculenta" from walmart this year. Says to plant in water. It came in a plastic container so you can just set it in the water. The bulb itself is wrapped in a fiber that reminds me of cocoanut hair, and the bottom of the container is fulled with rocks for the weight.

I looked colocasia esculenta up on google and apparently this is a water variety.

Last year I purchased taro from the grocery store, put them in soil and they grew very nicely in the ground. My household one didn't fare as well. It died back, had poor leaves. I was going to throw it away and when i pulled it out of the dirt, i noticed new roots being formed. The corm of the grocery store taro is very different from the one I bought specifically for ponds.

Run a google search....I found it very helpful to learn that elephants ears come in two kinds. One for water, one for land. Both do better with soil.

I read somewhere where a fella from zone 5 leaves his root in the ground in the winter, but they need to be dry. They will rot if it's cold AND wet. He said his come back every year on their own. I don't know if mine will or not. I KNOW one won't because I decided to put my water fall where that plant was. I doubt the other will because it's been in a bog area and I am zone 5b. Just in case, I bought another package of the land lover type. :) So, now I have both.

I put the water one (the one in the plantable basket) in a container with some water to get it started..but the water is just below the bulb so it's more over water than in it. I figure the roots will go in search of the water, the corm already has a finger on the top.

Btw, according to my reading, both plants are edible, but not raw. Apparently these things are excellent food. It is used even in this country as the base for baby formula for babys who are allergic to milk and grains (soy free/milk free?)

And finally, Taro is the base for making 'poi', something the Hawiian's eat a lot of.

Green_Acres

• jroot
    21 years ago

I was at Canada Blooms yesterday, and stopped by the Water Pond Society display. I asked about Elephant Ears, and Taro. They told me that they are definitely bog plants. They grow best if the roots are always wet ( in soil ) and the corm is just above the water line. He suggested to me that if I had a large container with NO DRAINAGE, fill it with soil, and plant the corm, water it well until is is wet, ... and then forget it. Place it in a sunny place.

Last year, I had a gorgeous display in an area that got about 5 hours of sun a day, but the leaves only got to be a about 1.5 feet long. This year, I think I will still plant there, but also set up a planting on my patio which gets sun from sun up to sun down. What can I loose? I have lots of corms left from last year.

• dirt_bunny
    21 years ago

I have just started a bog garden next to my pond and I planted several elephant ears in it. I am thinking about pulling them up, starting them in pots and planting them when it is warmer. I have read that to keep them from rotting you must plant them after the water temp is above 70°. This is my first bog garden and pond so not sure if this is true or not just thought it might help.
    Dirt Bunny

• glenda
    20 years ago

Elephant Ears turning yellow......what does this mean?
    Thanks,
    Glenda

• sheryl_ontario
    20 years ago

I planted mine in the spring and it took six weeks for it to come up. It was a very dry spring and it didn't sprout until we had a few days of rain. Next year it's going in a bog!

• mooch
    20 years ago

Yellowing of the leaves for me meant I got a frost here in NH and it was time for them to be dug up. Doubt you have to but thats my sign to dig and store.

• mccommas
    20 years ago

how big do these things get?

I have no idea what kind of elephant's ear it is. I got it at Walmart and it was really cheap. It has a nail in it. I already took the stupid tag of and threw it away. I assume its the kind that doesn't grow in a swamp.

I have seen picture of some of these things getting taller than children with HUGE leafs. If thats the case than where I wanted to put it would not be a good place.

They like shade ?? thats good.

Do these flower at all???

• suep_ct
    20 years ago

I planted EE's last year. Alocasia "Black Magic" seemed to need more moisture and more sun than the colocasia. It lost some of it's rich deep color in part shade. The directions I received (From Park's Seed-I think) said they would root faster if kept warm. Still took a few weeks but they sprouted. Some say that Colocasia can go dormant in winter but that alocasia cannot. Since there does appear to be a great deal of disparity among the experts I chose to keep them all going.I dug them up from the garden and overwintered them indoors. I lost one alocasia (probably when I went on vaction and failed to water it well enough) but the others seem to have made it just fine. The Colocasia's are getting huge now that I moved them next to my seed lights. Plan to keep them in containers 'til I can find the best spots for them in my mostly shady gardens. None have been grown in bog conditions but I do have a lot of clay in my soil so it stays pretty moist.

• Juenemann
    20 years ago

Very interesting thread. I went in search of taro roots from the grocery store. They were labeled Malanga 99 cents a pound they were small 6 were just over a pound. With 6 I can try to plant them differently.
    Another larger bulb was labled Malanga coco it is dark brown and hairy like a coconut kind of elongated. Any ideas how it might be different.
    Right next to them was Galanga I asked the produce guy what it was . He said asian ginger. Think I'll give it a try.
    So the taro I have planted two in the dirt two near a tiny little spring. The other two I will pot up to set in the fish pond just above the water line.

Another question . What levels of shade and sun have different people tried ? We had one planted last year that has just poped up. But we have added to uour deck and it will get a lot less sun this year

Thanks every one great thread.
    Terrance

• dendy
    20 years ago

Someone asked earlier if you can plant any of these variations in full sun and the answer is yes BUT... not late afternoon texas sun. It will curl their leaves as if they were near a citronella candle (yes keep your fragile plants away from the smoke given off by any citronella candle or oil).

I have all varieties of the "elephant ears" and I know none of them are submersible plants. Meaning; I need to lift their pots up to the surface of the water. The stems MUST be out of water for the majority.

Some of these plants love moist conditions opposite to the taro varieties. Those love boggy conditions. But the normal elephant ears I have like moist conditions better not drenched like the taros and they also do well in normal soil mulched very well.

Yellowing of the leaves means more often than not (since for other plants would mean too much water commonly) that it is infected with an insect. Do the leaves soon curl up and die? If they begin to diminish after yellwoing flip the leaves over CAREFULLY as the leaves are VERY fragile and will rip. Now once you have done this look to see if there are little brownish bugs on the underside. They are tiny. If so that is your problem. To fix this problem I use Bioganic by Green Light. It is orgranic and better for your plants than anything else you could imagine. I do not use chemical anything in my plants and gardens. I also pour a little amount of hasta gro by medina in the water directly for my plants or ocassionalll I will place agroform tablets in the pots (these are not 100% organic but some of my plants absolutely love them).

• plantfreak
    20 years ago

My god this link is stlll alive! Somethings never die I guess.

• SideOne
    19 years ago

I have pulled up xanthosomas and placed them a bucket of water to keep them moist while i 'eventually' get to them and they all grew so many roots that the entire bucket was roots in a matter of weeks.

Some elephant ears are just about unable to kill. i have also pulle dup some xanths and colocasias and laid them on the ground (spraying a couple times a day to keep them moist) and they just grew right where i laid them.

But i had a xanthosoma vilocasium and planted it in a conatiner of good soil and it grew one leaf and then just got weaker and finally died. i guess it all depends on the elepant ears. there are so many available now. but i love the big ones!

• DanTheMan14
    19 years ago

Ok i feel dumb, but doesn't matter what side you plant up? Is it the bumpy side, or the the flat side with the little notch in the middle. I have been looking all over, but i can't find anything about it. I find it weird because i have caladiums, which are like EE's but more colorful. I'm talking pink and white, and some with white,pink, and green. I know that if you do not plant them bumpy side up they will die. SO WHAT SIDE GETS PLANTED UP??!!?? If this helps during my travels over the web, they all are moisture lovers, but not to be placed in water all the way. You can also plant them in any soil or light conditions as long as the are fertilized properly and have enough moisture. But i really just want to know what side gets planted up?

• Becky55
    19 years ago

Dan, I'm sooooooooo glad you asked your question. I was sitting here feeling pretty dumb cuz I wasn't sure which end of my EE bulb to put in the ground.....On the edge of my seat waiting for the answer :)

• rrice
    19 years ago

What do you feed an E>E> with ? What is a good fertiliser and how often?
    thanks, Ron

• leahrenee1
    19 years ago

If this helps anyone out, I have Mickey mouse elephant ears, regular elephant ears, and Black Magic elephant ears. The first two grow in full sun with regular waterings. My Black magic is in mostly sun and doesn't get nearly as much water as the other beds. The Black Magic does grow much more slowly than the other kinds, and the leaves aren't as big, but they are getting larger every year.

• detroitmark
    19 years ago

I bought a bog EE for my pond and it's come back three years in a row. The first two years, though, I brought it in out of the water and it withered pretty badly. This year, I got myself a 5 gallon ceramic crock pot, dropped the pot in, and filled it up to the top of the dirt line with water. Then, to keep scum and smell away, I have a tiny table-top fountain pump down in there just churning the surface of the water around. I continue to drop pond tabs in. But now, with no fish eating them, there's no need to press them into the soil. It's growing like gang busters with a little flourescent lighting. I may need to break it up because I've got babies squeezing out all over the place.

When's a good time to cut the tubor, and how shall I do it?

• TexanGardenAddict
    19 years ago

Noticed that some of you have lots of shoots, rhizomes or bulbs multiplying. Would you please contact me so we can discuss me buying some of the extras from you?

• scubadoo2
    19 years ago

I would be interested in buying extra tubers as well,
    please contact me.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

Well, I'll say it again, this link is still alive. I guess some things never die. PF

• gardengranma
    19 years ago

I planted some in my garden and some in my pond waterfall. The ones in the garden were huge, the others lived, but were not huge. I dare say, put them in the ground and water them well.

• sandcrab
    19 years ago

I'll the the third party to ask, which way is up on these bulbs?? One end looks like it has been cut and has formed a scar, which makes me think its stems were cut, but the other end looks layered concentrically as if something is preparing to erupt.

• wallermomof2
    19 years ago

I couldn't figure out which way to plant the large bulbs myself so I asked a neighbor, who is a garden freak and grows all kinds of EE's. He said to plant it on its side since its difficult to tell which side is up. I took his advice and it worked great. I planted 4 that way and had success with all of them. I don't know what "kind" of EE's I have but I can say that they do like moisture and lots of it. As a matter of fact, I just moved them to a location in my yard that is constantly wet - not under water but always wet. I hope they don't rot there but I got tired of watering them everyday. We'll see when spring comes if they do well or not - I'll post the results. I do love my EE's - their leaves are beautiful - I am just going to hate it if I've made a mistake.

• booshoot2
    19 years ago

I grow colocasias, alocasias and the xanthasoma series. I have much more experience growing the colocasia which I grow in water during the growing season. I grow 1 gal pots in 6" of water in full sun. I grow a few in a bog adjacent my pond and a few in moist soil in various parts of the landscape. The ones I grow out of water require more shade or filtered light. The wetter they are, the more sun they tolerate. However, any of them will rot in the winter rains, so they must be dry in the Oregon winters. A friend of mine grows gigantic alocasias in his gardens on a regulated drip system with high nitrogen. Everyones experience and results seem to vary, so I thought my input might help someone.
    Booshooter

• johnCT
    18 years ago

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help. Just bought a few of the elephant ears bulbs from WM. It says to plant them blunt side down, but its hard to differentiate on a couple of them. On this pic, I am assuming the blunt side is on the right? So those are stems starting on the left? Thanks for any help.
    {{gwi:428898}}

• stal681
    18 years ago

i got an e.e last year had the hardest time growing it right now i got it in the house in a bowl of water not much water and in a dark place its doing great

• tissmith
    18 years ago

I wish I had looked this up before I planted my giant elephant ear bulbs yesterday. They had pink pointy nubs on the outside and I planted these pointed up. Are these the roots or the shoots? Is it upside down? Should I dig them up? If they're completely upside down, will the plant right itself? Thanks for any advice!

• jeanie_gardener
    17 years ago

I purchased 3 imperial taro plants from ebay and received them last week. Planted each in a container of potting soil and vermiculite and fertilized with osomocote. They are not doing well. The one leaf they each had is shriveled and I am wondering if it will sprout new growth since it is not a bulb. It is watered well - the soil is very wet with the rain we had the other day. Days are in the 60s and 70s and nights are 50s. What can I do to save these?

• durgandurgan
    17 years ago

I dug the tuber up carefully after two weeks in a pot, and discovered that many shoots about one inch long are growing from the bottom and from the sides. I planted it as indicated in the left photo, which by guess work was correct. There is a slight indication of upward shoots starting from the top judging by the slight bulges showing on the top of the tuber.

The smooth ringed end of the tuber is the top.

Durgan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuber Pictures

• durgandurgan
    17 years ago

http://pappuilt.notlong.com
    The picture on the left indicates the top of the tuber.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuber photos

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

Bump!

• paula1955
    17 years ago

I could not tell the up side from the down, so I planted it sideways, in my awful, wet clay soil. The leaves were small at first, but I fertilized it several times (plain old Miracle Grow) and it gets plenty of falling debris from my brush cherries. After 1 year, it's 8-9 ft tall and a single leaf is 4 ft long. Amazing!

• schp26_sbcglobal_net
    17 years ago

I grew colocasia esculenta for the first time this summer. Purchased 3 orange-sized corms at Costco for about $7. The one I planted in full sun is now over 4 feet tall and wide. The leaves are huge and my kids like to use as umbrellas! Constantly asked by strolling neighbors what it is asis very unusual in Michigan. I planted two others in a border in side yard near maple tree. This gets a lot of morning and some afternoon sun, regular watering but these did not get even 1/4 the size of the full sun plant. Will be digging up huge plant and trying to overwinter the corms and any new corms that have grown. But will leave the other two in the ground and see what happens.

• mmfine71
    17 years ago

I live 30 miles South of the Chicago area. Some people leave EEs in the ground here and they come back. Anyone know how to do this? I am lacking space so I can't bring them in.

• lindacraw
    15 years ago

I grew an elephant ear and cut it back to store all winter.... now it's March and can't figure out and can't find out on the web which end is up? Is it the end I cut the stem from , or the end I cut the roots from???
    I'm stumped .....HELP !

• rickinla
    15 years ago

Up is the end that had the stem or green growth. If you stored your bulb, the up end is the end that is round and has rings, the down side has one or more scars where the roots were cut off.

• trish-ny
    13 years ago

I bought a bulb the size of an orange. The hair is growing around the middle of the bulb, one end has several small circles and the other end has one circle in the ends center. I still can't figure out which end is up ( story of my life ) Should I plant it on it's side like suggested? Oh yeh there are a few little spots that look like wart(bump) they are not on an end either. I live in NY so glad someone told me to wait for warm weather as Country Max where I bought it said I could plant it now. We had trace of snow on mothes day. I wonder how many people here have already planted theirs because they ere told they could. I bought one of the last 2 in te box.

• Valders77
    12 years ago

This will be the 2nd year that I am planting an elephant ear bulb. Made it a center piece to my garden last year and it was a hit. The problem I am having this year is that I planted it May 10, 33 days ago (today being June 13, 2011), and I am not seeing any activity yet. We've had a cooler then normal spring here in zone 5 and I am hoping that this may have stymied the growth. I am new to "GardenWeb" having just registered after coming upon this site tonight. I can't seem to find the "followup" to which said that one shouldn't plant the elephant ear bulb to early, if the ground is cold as the bulb can rot. So my question and concern to an expert out there is simply.. did I plant to early? Or am I just in a stalled window of growth due to the cooler spring we've had here in zone 5 and that I should just be patient.

• KendraSchmidt
    12 years ago

I purchased an elephant ear tuber at the local market (taro). I notice that one end is bulbous with a few coconut-like hairs on it, and the narrow tip at the other end of the taro is rather blunt, as if it was cut off on that end.

Will that affect my taro's ability to be used as a tuber to grow an elephant ear plant?

I hope I didn't waste my money, please let me know!

• Ofa Tukuafu
    9 years ago

I bought taro roots from the Oriental stores month of December, I just put them in a tray no water and leave them on the refridgerator then i check back the end of January you can see the green slips coming out from the tubers, so plant each tuber in those lil containers with soil potmixing ( i used some small coconut fiber cups 4" high) from HomeDepot then l line them up in a tinfoil pan with water 1 " by the window for 2 wks, check back you won't believe they 6" inches tall but I wait till mother's day then I transfered them to outside garden, i fertilized them with all purpose then I flooded them with water everyother day. They grow about 3' tall, my problem that I should cut out the old leaves liked it mention above so they grow taller. We cook the taro leaves with cornbeef as our best dish for dinner. What I am asking for I have tubers ready to plant outside but afraid might they get by the frost, is there any idea when to start plant them, last year I plant them very late.

Sponsored