SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Giant racoon wrecks havoc on Ami beds...

My amaryllis were enjoying the summer, growing massive leaves and getting nice a plump...and then...disaster struck yesterday.

Apparently my neighbor heard and then saw a HUGE racoon frolicking in the flower bed where there were about 20 pots of amaryllis and then he heard a giant CRASH...which was the set of tables where there were another 60 or so pots (1-5 gallons each) with amaryllis that, up until then, had been enjoying life.

I got home and let the dogs out and something didn't look right. It took a moment to sink in as there were pots scattered all over and trampled leaves broken and strewn about. Upon closer look, the seedlings from last year that I had sown in the ground we snapped off at the ground...that racoon must have gotten trapped in the fenced off portion of the bed (fenced to keep my dogs out, but apparently very good at keeping large bad racoons in). So much damage....thick leaves just snapped off at the neck...carnage everywhere!! The only good thing to report is that my bulbs are so well rooted that I didn't lose a single bulb (they all stayed in the pot) and the labels were well anchored and none of them came out either. So....I know the names of all the damaged bulbs. Most have a leaf or three left, but a few are leaf-less...snapped off a couple of inches above the neck. UGH....

I reassembled the tables and rearranged all the pots. Tucked the most heavily damaged ones nearer to the fence where they might be protected, and tonight, the have a heart trap comes out...I have 1700 acreas of woods behind my house, so visitors are not uncommon, but this is the most damage that they have ever done. I hope that my bulbs have stored enough energy over the summer to make it without the benefit of lots of leaves for the rest of the year (yes, I know that they will send up more leaves, but this has to be quite a shock to many of the bulbs!!).

Thanks for letting me vent! If I catch the racoon...I'm going to snap off his leaves too (actually will release him a few miles from my house)!!

Kristi

Spring, TX

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions