SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christine_7or8

Where can I buy frogs or tadpoles?

Christine - 7 or 8
23 years ago

I live in the city and don't have access to ponds, creeks, and lakes in which to try catching wild frogs and pollywogs for my backyard pond and bog garden. I would like to buy them from mail order but cannot find any good suppliers. Lilipons sells them...but not cheap. I don't want to spend alot of money on creatures that may or may live and/or even hang around long. Any suggestions?

Comments (111)

• frog_love
    18 years ago

I love in San Diego County and it's pretty dry here. Right now, I am working on building a nice size pond. I don't like Koi, though. So, I was thinking about putting tads or frogs in it. But there are not any areas here with tads in them, so can someone help me?!!!
    I'm willing to pay for shipping and more, so can you email me at Jaws_591@yahoo.com?!!
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Oh, and especially give me an email if you have anything but bullfrogs!

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

Bullfrogs are not native West of the Rockies. They are causing extinction of native frogs in Western States.

It may be illegal to import or to even have bullfrogs in your possession in AZ, CA, OR, WA and BC Canada.

The California Red Legged Frog is on the brink of extinction due in part to predation by bullfrogs.

Bullfrogs will eat anything that they can fit into their mouths including your fish, birds, other frogs, newts, and mice in addition to bugs.

Please be very careful when introducing bullfrogs into your ponds and if you are West of the Rockies, just don't do it.

• Related Discussions

Green Frog eggs/tadpoles wanted

Q

Comments (4)
    Willow Pond does have green frog tadpoles, thanks. And thanks for the advice about the bullfrogs, something I have already experienced. My last pond had leopard, green and bull frogs at first. Eventually all there was were two fat bullfrogs. After moving from Illinois where green frogs are plentiful to Nebraska where they seem to be missing, I needed to get some. They stay in/near the water and the leopard frogs wander far away, so they don't really compete for the same food. Plus they are very tame in my experience, sometimes eating crickets right out of my hand. I actually watched one of the big bullfrogs at my provious pond eat a sparrow that got too close! I will be happy when my shipment of 50 tads arrive.
    ...See More

Frog and toad tadpoles all gone!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    The fish ate them !! Our pond has two small ponds above a large pond. We always have hundreds of tadpoles in the upper two ponds. Our fish are in the lower,large pond. The fish will spend hours each day waiting below waterfall for tadpoles to come tumbling out of the upper ponds. Guess what, we have never had tadpoles in the lower pond where the fish live.
    ...See More

Do Goldfish (Sarasa Comets) or Butterfly Koi eat Frog tadpoles?

Q

Comments (44)
    Large bullfrogs are a tadpole for 2 years. If things ate them ther would be no frogs on earth. The way they have protection is their Tails. If I put 3 five gal buckets of bulfrog tadpoles in a take on my fish truck an a fish gets in there the fish will be dead in a few mins. This is because of the poison in the tadpoles tails getting into the water. So no fish will eat tadpoles. Now I have seen here Hybrid bluegills eat toad tadpoles. This is because a toad is a tadpole just a few weeks and does not have the 2 years tail protection like the big frogs need. I ahv raised fish 40 years now and hate having 50,000 frog tadpoles in apond with fish then drain it and have to SORT by hand 1-2-3-4-50,000 tadpoles from the fish. Bar graders do not work if the fish are the same size, you have be careful not to mix then in a small tank and kill fish. My fish farm is for sale now and hope i do not have sort tadpoles soon :( rest my life :( Type LIVE FISH OF INDIANA for photos --i dont think i still haev tadpole pictures there ?
    ...See More

Tadpoles to Frogs

Q

Comments (2)
    Ahhhh, babies! Dianne
    ...See More
  • frogman_2007
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone. I have a small pond with a Big frog problem.I have thousands of pond frogs and would like to remove them.I can only catch a few hundred a week to clear out atm unless theres a better way then to sain them without hurting my minnow poppulation.
    My name is Jeff Ramsey of Warrens Wisconsin.Please contact me if you would like to addopt a few frogs, at 1-608-378-4557 . TYVM LFTTS.

• wfike
    16 years ago

Jeff, sounds like you need a 3 or 4 pb. bass or catfish. They love frogs, catfish espescialy like them. With a lot of frogs they might not bother the minnows.

• michele_1
    16 years ago

I am getting my tadpoles from a nursery that has lots of water gardens. They have tons of tadpoles in their display water gardens and the help will scoop them out for us.

Don't use clorinated water in your bog, it will hurt your tadpoles!!

Michele_1

• froglady_2007_10
    16 years ago

i have tons of tadpoles in my pool you are more than welcome to come and get them all bring lots of containers to take them home with you i have baby frogs just coming out of the water as well please come and get them so they dont die my husband wants to clean the pool and lots of them will die

• froglady_2007_10
    16 years ago

i live in orlando fl and i have about four giffent kinds of tadpoles in my pool i have no idea what kind them are some are small almost black or dark green and some are a bronze color and some are a brown color and some are a gray color the brown colored ones are about the size of a small mice please help let me know what you think they might be in live in the orlando fl area anyone who would like these guys please let me know just bring your own containers to bring them home in thanks save a frogs life

• chuckr30
    16 years ago

Toad tadpoles are solid black. All other tadpoles are types of frogs.

Search Google Images for +tadpole +frog to find images of frog tadpoles.

• nkoyon
    16 years ago

I am in desperate need of help! If anyone can help me because I really want to enhance me and my moms ponds. They are wonderful but have no wildlife to them. Frogs, newts, salamanders, turtles, and of course tadpoles are soo hard to find and to come across. If anyone can help out in any way. If u have any that you dont want and want them to go to a good home please contact me. I will pay s/h and would really really apriciate it alot. Just let me know the cost and what u ahve available. nigerianprincess215@yahoo.com is where i can be contacted. Thanks so much it really means alot

• Evan Stueve
    16 years ago

I would love a few bullfrog tadpoles (or even halfway matured ones), they're pretty rare where i live, and expensive in pet stores (and rare)

id love to paypal someone $5 who wants to ship me a few tadpoles, that would be excellent

email me or call me if you're interested
    wiouxev@gmail.com
    952 465 8705

• john_modlin
    15 years ago

Friends - There is a man in Louisiana named DOZIER LESTER who has Bullfrogs & tadpoles for sale. He has a website at http://www.bullfrogs-louisiana.com/. His phone# 337-984-1465. I have purchased from him several times in the last 10 years. He is a real good honest person. Prices are reasonable also. He shipped to me in Anderson, IN and all critters were safe & sound.

• kwoods
    15 years ago

Spreading bullfrogs around, introducing thm to ecosystems where they don't already exist, is a really ba-ad idea.

• myrmecodia
    15 years ago

Evan,

Your phone number indicates that you are in Minneapolis, right?

Bullfrogs are not native to your part of Minnesota, and there is the potential for them to become a harmful invasive species. According to the link below, in Minnesota "it is illegal to sell, buy or possess a bullfrog or tadpole -- except as fishing bait -- without a DNR permit."

Here is a link that might be useful: DNR Worries Bullfrogs Are MN's Invasive Species

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Bullfrogs are not native here on Long Island (NY) either as far as I know. Yet when I saw tadpoles at the local pond department of a well known nursery, they were bullfrogs. I would never buy them.

I bought Leopard Frog (AKA Grass Frog or Meadow Frog) tadpoles mailorder here-

Here is a link that might be useful: Wards

• pervinpatty
    15 years ago

Hello anyone near Stockton California with local tadpoles I can come get? I don't have the time to go pond hopping to look for them
    Thanks

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

I posted this on the Pond and Aquatic Plants discussion forum - at least on here there seem to be smoe people who are against this, which is great. I am posting this message, unaltered, which I posted on the other forum asking the exact same question.

-----

Wow...wow...I don't know where to begin here...As an amphibian biologist this thread is absolutely jaw-dropping, sorry guys.
    All of you are probably unaware of the huge problems amphibians are facing right now due to foreign pathogens being spread by humans. Amphibians are declining worldwide - its not false alarm, they are there one year, gone the other. A lot of this problem is due to people inadvertently spreading lethal pathogens from one place to another - the two most notorious ones are Batrachochytridium dendrobatidis (called "Chytrid" for short) and Ranavirus. These are decimating frog populations worldwide - especially in northern latitudes and high elevations. This stuff is highly contagious and is spread via shoes, nets, other frogs and once in an area lives on indefinitely in the soil.

Going into the genetics area - buying animals from non-local sources and releasing them into your ponds...My god...sorry, but this is ridiculous. People are complaining about taking leopard frogs from NC (where Carolina Biological Supply is) and having them die when they get to NY ... just because you have northern leopard frogs and red-spotted newts in your state doesn't mean that those animals will survive there. Lets put this is plant-terms - red maples (Acer rubrum) range from Maine to Florida. Do you really think that a red maple from Florida transplanted in Maine will thrive, or even survive?? How about vice versa?? There are local genetics that should be preserved in your area - that is why those animals are able to persist there. Assuming some of these animals you bring in survive and breed with the local animals, the offspring will not be as adapted to your particular region as the native ones. Here's an example - Gray treefrogs (Hyla versicolor/chrysocelis) have a huge range - animals at southern populations will breed earlier than animals at northern populations because they have evolved to not have to deal with late hard freezes that could kill the eggs for that year. You bring in animals that have evolved to breed earlier in the season (say, April instead of June) and you have a hard frost or freeze that destroys all the eggs. Just touching on hibernation ... even though they are the same species, do you think that frogs that are used to hibernating in North Carolina will successfully hibernate in New York?? Geesh...

Alright, now to touch on the legality issues of this. It is ILLEGAL to release pets into the wild. If you bought those animals, they are considered pets - your property - and releasing them into an area where they can escape into the wild is illegal. In most states the regulations state that animals cannot be displaced more than 50 feet from their...

• hgtvdream.com
    15 years ago

To clarify some things on Mikes post above:

it is not necc. 'ILLEGAL' to release 'pets' into the wild. Most laws are of the form that it is 'illegal to release a non-native species into the wild.' I guess the point is that you don't really know if a species is native because they can look very similar but not be the same.

As for bullfrogs, they are native to most of the United States (including Long Island, NY). After all, they are the state amphibian of Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa and North Carolina. If you live east of the rockies, they are likely native. The USGS has a map of the current habitat of bullfrogs.

As for California and bullfrogs taking over because of escaping from backyard pnds, this is just silly. Bullfrogs were introduced into CA around the 1920s as a food source.

I am not saying bullfrogs are your best choice, but before you get them check your local laws (or for any other amphibian). As one poster pointed out, MN has some of the most strict laws related to bullfrogs. Most states have no restrictions because the frogs are native or already have an established habitat.

Don't listen to rhetoric on this board, do your own homework.

• kwoods
    15 years ago

"it is not necc. 'ILLEGAL' to release 'pets' into the wild."

And yet, it is incredibly mindless and likely damaging to the local ecosystem.

Lots of very good information in Mike's post. Lots of things to think about, give consideration to and do your own due diligence on.

Spreading bullfrogs around, introducing them to ecosystems where they don't already exist, is a really ba-ad idea.

• hgtvdream.com
    15 years ago

"And yet, it is incredibly mindless and likely damaging to the local ecosystem."

I never said it wasn't.

However, I don't like the idea of providing false information as a way of making a point. Stating that it is 'illegal' to release, by his definition of 'pets' is just false. People can buy doves, pigeons, phesants, ducks, trout, (this list goes a long way) which by his definition are 'pets' but it is legal (in most places) to release them. Heck, I (or you) can go buy little fish to throw in ponds to eat mosquitos and we would not be prosecuted. It is often encouraged (remember that the South had very bad malaria problems when it came to settling and most cities still have vector control).

Anyhow, rather than picking a bone with you, I suggested that people do their own homework. I agree that it is a bad idea when people spread them where they don't belong, or as you stated 'don't already exist.' Going by your statement, about 80% of America, they exist (see link)

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/herps/amphibid/species/bullfrog.htm

To clarify, I never said all of Mike's post was wrong, I just disagreed with a few points. The other was that bullfrogs in CA came from backyard ponds. Give me a break.. I may have different dates, but there is no doubt that bullfrogs did not come to California by escaping from Victorian ponds. They were brought as a food source.

http://natureali.org/bullfrog.htm
    http://www.sacsplash.org/critters/bullfrog.htm

Animals and plants not being able to survive if they are moved a few hundred miles? Look at the zoos around the worls (San Antonio has a Sea World after all). Most plants that you buy at Home Depot were likely grown hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

Let me summarize: I agree that releasing an animal is unethical (that does not make it illegal), I also feel that bullfrogs get a bad rep. in this posting because people seem to think that they are not native to America at all, I also said that a bullfrog may not be the best choice. Although the first post is many years old, it came from Norfolk Virgina where the American Bullfrog is a native species. Tell me why it is a bad idea for that person to raise a native bullfrog in their backyard pond?

• kwoods
    15 years ago

Why would one introduce a bullfrog into an ecosystem where it already exists? If they are already there.... why introduce them?

"Tell me why it is a bad idea for that person to raise a native bullfrog in their backyard pond?"

That is a legitimate question. Perhaps because there is potential for escape into a nearby ecosystem, wetland or vernal pond where bullfrogs do not already impact the existing fauna? If bullfrogs already "exist" within that ecosystem they will certainly find the backyard pond in Norfolk... it's what they do. Males in a breeding population seek to expand their territory. Females follow. No need to introduce them if they already "exist". If they don't already "exist" you are introducing a species that is an opportunistic predator, lives 7 to 9 years and certainly has the potential to have a negative impact.

American bullfrogs being native to a geographical region does not mean they inhabit all ecological niches within that region. Introducing a new breeding population of bullfrogs does have a high potential for negative impact on other native fish and amphibian species within a stable ecological community. Many studies support this, I have seen this happen with my own eyes.

Google "Rana catesbeiana negative impact" and there is a tremendous amount of info. I totally agree with you that people should seek out information on these and other issues for themselves prior to introducing any species, native or otherwise, that may have the potential for negative impact on an ecosystem. Bullfrogs, in my experience, have that potential.

• hgtvdream.com
    15 years ago

I just want to assure you that we are basically on the same page.

I guess my one point in response to your comment is that why would you stop at bullfrogs? Wouldn't it be potentially harmful to introduce any plant or animal? There are definitley plants that can cause damage (Hydrilla or Water Hyacinth for example - which some people may have in their bog/pond and there is no question were introduced into the wild by aquarium enthusiasts). I would even go as far to argue that invasive plants have caused more ecological and financial damage than animals.

I am sure you see where I am going here but if we expand your argument beyond the simple bullfrog, all of us should only have plants and animals that find their way into our property? In practice this would be a good idea, but it ain't ever going to happen is it? Invasive aquatic plants are a very serious issue and I have seen plants on the invasive species list talked about on this and other forums (don't give me the plants can't walk off your land argument).

You have your opinion and I have mine (they aren't too far off). My original comment was not defending anyones choice, it was in response to partially poor information.

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Been without internet access for a while, but I feel the need to respond here:

Kwoods - thankyou for supporting my points here!

Hgtvdream - Lots to say here...

First off - NONE of my information was incorrect, false, rhetoric, or anything else that you would like to call it. Part of my role is to be aware of state laws regarding herps - look on the DNR or Fish and Game website for almost any state - RELEASING PETS INTO THE WILD IS ILLEGAL - THAT IS NOT FALSE INFORMATION. Call an officer with your state DNR - ask him if its legal to buy a species of frog from another state and release them into your garden ponds. Want to bet what he'll say?

Another law that is pretty common in most states - no animal may be released more than 50' (or some similar distance) from its point of capture unless given special permission through permits. This applies to ALL animals - bullfrogs are no exception.

I certainly don't appreciate saying that I was providing "false information as a way of making a point" as my information was not false. I don't think that you doing a google search on "bullfrogs" makes you an expert on them but apparently you feel differently. I would highly suggest doing some more research before discounting another person's information as "false" or "poor" as you obviously do not have the experience or are in the position to do so.

First off, since you said I was providing false information to support my point, you might want to look up information on the LACEY ACT - in short, here is what it says:

The Lacey Act provides that it is unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law whether in interstate or foreign commerce.

Here's another to look at...again, supporting my point that bullfrogs are an invasive species and should not be released...please take note that this is a government website - the USDA invasive species list:

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/bullfrog.shtml

As part of your research, I would recommend looking at some of these sites as well...

MINNESOTA (as discussed earlier)

http://www.areavoices.com/dougleier/?blog=7703

"Bullfrogs (adults or tadpoles) cannot be possessed, imported, transported or sold for any purpose other than as fishing bait without a DNR permit. To date, no such permits have been issued and the DNR has no intention of granting such permits in the future."

http://www.savagepacer.com/news/regional-news/dnr-say-no-buying-or-selling-bullfrogs-2124

- Again, pay attention to the first paragraph:
    "Bullfrog populations in Minnesota are spreading rapidly due to the popularity of bullfrog tadpoles being used in backyard water gardens"

NEW YORK

http://www.wnyherp.org/reptile-laws/New-York-DEC-FAQ.php

Scroll...

• kwoods
    15 years ago

"I just want to assure you that we are basically on the same page."

I agree.

"Wouldn't it be potentially harmful to introduce any plant or animal?"

I don't think it's wise to make blanket statements or judgements regarding non-native flora and fauna. A case by case approach makes more sense in my mind. Researching what you're introducing makes you more mindful of ecosystems and how they work as a whole. I think people should do their homework and just be aware that some species may impact the ecosystem into which they are introduced in a negative way. Be mindful and respectful of what is already there before introducing something that may have a negative impact.

This forum is a place to share information and ideas. This is certainly a topic I find worthy of discussion. It's also an opportunity for us to hear what others think and maybe reevaluate what we think we know. I don't like seeing posters being rude to one another and I think it detracts from any point one might be trying to make regardless of it's validity. I'm uncomfortable chastising another poster but calling someone an a$$ is totally uncalled for.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Well, Mikeygraz, you've made your point, shown your character, et cetera. Have fun with your herps.

Josh

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Kwood -
    Yeah, you are right, if you see the time stamp it was awfully early and I had just read HGTV's snippy comments saying that I lied (without using those words) really pushes a button with me. She/He blatantly said I was providing false information to prove my point - I'd say that was equally uncalled for, especially considering that person was incorrect.

Josh -
    Yes, I made my point. Thankyou. As for me showing my character, if you truly think you are capable or justified in judging someone's accurately by reading one or two posts on the internet, then I feel sorry for anyone whom you judge! I think most people would consider it highly offensive to have another person claim they are providing false information to prove a point, and I don't know anyone who would appreciate being criticized in an area that they specialize in by one who had no business doing so. As for your comment "have fun with your herps" which was meant to be nothing but degrading...perhaps you should be taking some of the advice about behavior you are criticizing others for having?

Again, if we can see past the squabbling - this is an issue based on ecology, conservation, and preservation. The more you learn and know, the more you realize you don't know - the same goes for trying to "mold" an ecosystem to your liking by adding whatever you feel like. You have no idea what the consequences could be, and its best you add your goldfish and koi and let the other species come on their own. Please realize that it was scientists - people who thought they had worked out EVERYTHING - who have screwed up so many ecosystems. Carp were brought here by people who wanted to eat them (as disgusting as that sounds), but it was fisheries biologists who went and started stocking them around the US. Look at all the problems that carp are causing...Ecosystems are an amazing thing to observe and to study, and I have personally seen many of them that have been horribly degraded by the addition of a single invasive species - bullfrogs are included on that list..as well as garlic mustard, honeysuckle, russian olive, and others.

Here is a quote that a professor of mine taught me, and it is very true - "invasive species are not always exotic" - this was made in reference to the Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) spreading onto the prairies where it doesn't below as a result of fire suppression. Normally it is restricted to ravines and along water, being kept at bay by the annual fires the prairies once underwent. However with fire suppression, they spread out into the prairie and reshape the ecosystem into a virtual monoculture of redcedar that the prairie-adapted species are incapable of surviving in.

**One tree that is native, in the absence of its natural checks and balances, becomes invasive and compromises the entire ecosystem.**

Bullfrogs are a species with that same potential, as they have shown through their history. Just because they are...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I don't want to get banned from these Forums if someone happens to report this Thread, so I'll just say Sorry, Mike, and I'll move along.

Josh

• koipond48
    15 years ago

That old theme of 'build it and they will come' didn't work for me. I build my pond 5 years ago and not a single frog has come. I'm from an area that has lakes and ponds near by. I am looking to purchase some pickerel, leopard tadpoles or just morphed frogs. Can anyone help?

• kwoods
    15 years ago

Do you have fish? Fish and frogs are pretty much incompatible.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

You do NOT want frogs. Especially Bull Frogs. They will poop on your patio!

• kwoods
    15 years ago

"Hope this helps."

Helps what? Helps soil the patio?

• Marc PA
    15 years ago

We as humans have done the most damage in destroying amphibian habitat. We as humans have a responsibility to restore some habitat and re-introduce native species back. Restoring habitat may not be enough - like build it they will come. The obstacles now in place from areas rich in amphibians to the newly retored areas can be just too great. As scientist though we love to study stuff to death except for the quick destruction of habitat. Someone purchases property, gets a building permit and can destroy a wonderful habitat without consideration to the loss of life. There are risks to everything. The risk of doing nothing is great too!!!!!!! Marc

• lil_angell
    15 years ago

I'm looking for any small frog

• medstar
    14 years ago

Frog lovers, we live in Southern California near the Santa Ana River,City of Norco, Riverside County. There is an abundance of Baja California Tree Frogs, both green and brown in color. Look in channels, horse troughs and the best place for tadpoles and frogs are your neighborhood above ground pools. Good luck.

• stfliv
    13 years ago

Hello,
    Is it possible to buy tadpoles in the United Kingdom at this time of year?
    Thank-you,
    Stephen.

• David Dixon MS
    13 years ago

I wanna know how to catch frogs,who to find some and how to take care of them....I love frogs since i was little and i still do...I want one so bad...like the white-lipped tree frog i catch that night but i let him go because i didnt have the responability to take care of it. So him me out.

• otterspotter_ak
    13 years ago

Fish and amphibians (frogs, salamanders) are not compatible. The fish will eat the eggs or the larvae. Many a population of frogs and salamanders have been lost when a breeding pond was stocked for fishing.

• Dan
    12 years ago

Some species die out, others survive, new species develop; some go naturally, some pushed out by development. That's life. let's leave it alone. Many human species died out, we can't control nature so we should stop messing with what we decide should or should not be alive.

• kennethhollman
    8 years ago

I'm trying to find a source for native tadpoles for my koi pond. Bull frogs eat the native frogs so I'd like to avoid them.

• fujimusicgroup
    8 years ago

I live in md. And I have several thousand huge tadpoles as well. I am selling my tadpoles for a 1.00 a piece! If interested email Me @ fujimusicgroup@gmail.com

• darlene_bullis
    7 years ago

I have a pool filled with 2 maybe 3 different types of tadpoles. I don't know what they are.in live in fl.come get them 1$each.email me at darlene.bullis@yahoo.com thank you for your time. Maybe we can talk.so just email

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

As long as they use "breather plastic bags" designed for fish transport, I had excellent luck getting Tadpoles on line with 100% shipping survival via priority mail, 3x last spring and early summer. One order was lost for 2-3 days (5-6 day total shipping duration) and they still arrived happy. Plan on about $1 per Tadpole.

Agree ... DO NOT buy or locally catch and move Bullfrogs!!

I've had them before from a nearby lake and they do very well, but eat anything that they can get into their greedy mouth, including other frogs, fish, bats, snakes, small birds. Theyre born desperately hungry!

Mine have grown from 2.5" to full 6 to 8" mature size in one summer! DNR will hate you, because they roam and often get out. They successfully track water can go a couple miles to find a new area to invade.

If you like big and beautiful, look instead for Leopard Frogs. They are native to much of US but are getting rare due to loss of habitat and Bullfrog predation*. How can a Frog Person not like this green beauty?

Semiaquatic frogs like Leopards and Bullfrogs will jump all over your yard at night (so must seal fence excape areas!) They quickly learn where the pond safety zone is and can take a series of rapid leaps across your yard or greenhouse and disappear under water. Mine can do this the moment I open a sllding door to go outside.

If you are trying to introduce frogs from a wild gathered egg cluster(s) note that the clusters might be salamanders instead!

Frog eggs within the cluster mass look like little rounded clear jelly spheres, especially visible when the cluster tears open. Whereas salamander egg clusters look like a jelly mass with no visible clear spheres inside, just the growing amphibians. When they tear open, no clear rounded spheres are evident.

Both animal embryos within the eggs mass look rounded at first and then enlarge over time. Near to hatching time salamanders embryos elongate and show an arrowhead shaped head with little gills zones on the sides of their neck.

It amazes me that a frog or slender little 5-6" salamader can lay a 3-4"+ diameter egg mass. The masses are not large when laid but swell afterwards. When ready to hatch, enzymes are released to largely dissolve the gel, almost in unison, releasing the babies to roam.

* WARNING do not put small tadpoles or tiny frogs into ponds with Goldfish of any size. Unless there is a ton of water vegetation to hide in for instance along shallow pond margins, the fish can eat them about as fast as you eat popcorn (and at $1 per amphibian kernal). Even with cover the fish will hunt them constantly. Instead use a 5 gallon tub to the side or partially submerged, partially shaded from hot sun, and a wire cover to stop raccoon, bird or adult frog attacks.

Hatched Tadpoles of any kind grow fast and very healhy when using a pond fish food. Suggest floating a few Goldfish or Koi food pellets, which they nibble on as these softens. A few 'Tads often gather around each floating pellet. Thus, you get to see the 'Tads better and little food is lost or spoils. This also helps indicate when to add more food. Make sure to also have some fine leaved pond weeds therein to hide in and nibble on.

'Tads can mouth breathe if the oxygen gets too low in the container water. However, if there is prolonged or marked frantic gulping for air, spread the 'Tads between additional containers.

It is warmer in a bucket than in a pond. Avoid full sun locations unless the bucket is inset deeply into the pond or ground. Obviously, do not add 'Tads to your pond until they are large enough to NOT fit into the mouth of your largest fish!

If they do not mature into adults the first year in a cooler climate they will overwinter on the pond bottom and finish their cycle the next year.

If the pond can potentially ice over, use waterfall flow or small fishtank air bubbler to stir the surface and keep an open zone for air exchange. Otherwise decaying plant matter consumes the oxygen, and excess carbon dioxide and ammonia fumes can build up, killing 'Tads and fish.

Much like goldfish, 'Tads will hunt out mosquito larvae in buckets or ponds. In ponds I suggest having 3-4 of the same frog species in hopes of getting a breeding pair so that the cycle maintains. Frogs can live several years and overwinter well. But for a Frog pond to stay "frogged" you are going to need a fenced yard with board blockage to 2-3' high and enough yard and vegatation to support the insect and earthworm levels needed to support the mature frog population.

Fish in the pond are important to stop over tadpole = future frog population.

In our yard, we keep a lotus tub with lotus to the side of the pond without fish. This is so we can put in egg clusters there when frog populations are low.

If you live near a lake or bog lands and hear frogs in mating season, don't fully board fence your yard. Just BUILD IT (the pond) AND THEY WILL COME. Treefrog populations are especially mobile to the right habitat.

The above is A LOT of detail and several years experience working to get frogs established in our yards at two different locations. Based on hard won experience it can take years to get right, and is easy with the right match of mostly the right habitat and then frog species.

Bullfrogs are easiest but don't do it unless they surround your yard anyway. Local Toad species might work better if you don't have enough cool leafy forage zones for Semiaquatic Frogs. They still need 'Tad growth ponds to sustain.

• Digna Irizarry-Cassens
    6 years ago

This is amazing! I've spent an hour browsing through these frog messages. I have a large brown bullfrog that croaks day and night in summer. So loud that we hear it from my home office through double pane windows over the noisy swamp cooler. I had assumed the eggs or the frog itself, had come along for the ride when I moved my rescued green ear sliders from my previous home in Orange County, CA. How the first one arrived I never knew but in that mild climate with so much vegetation and few enemies they survived and multiplied. They were a common noisemaker and frequent visitors hop-hopping around my front yard. Forward to 2014 when I moved to the High Desert (Mojave). A few months after digging the pond and throwing in some small feeder fish to start settling it in and give turtles something to do, we start hearing the frog. No idea if it came in the plants or if it just found us out here. But in this arid terrain, how could a frog survive? I did see a few egg like slimy balls in the plants roots as well as in another purely decorative and very small and shallow (no more than 3-4 inches deep and about 3 feet around) pond I dug right next to the main one. I assumed those hatched but who laid them? Why didn't the gold fish eat them? or the turtles? turtles are carnivores and eat everything, including their own hatchlings heads! This has answered a few questions - but not my main one which is I was interested in knowing if adding adult frogs or toads is a good idea? Pond is 24" deep, 13X10, with filter, pump and waterfall (cleaned weekly in summer). But there are 9 adult green ear and CA sliders (all rescued from dire circumstances), a bunch of small goldfish 4 - 5 mystery snails and who knows how many crayfish because they're always hiding. Unfortunately the turtles are very fertile and 2 -3 of the old ladies have laid so many eggs this year I've retrieved 10 live hatchlings - but that's another story because I'm up to my ears in little greenies now and don't know what to do next. How about the frog or toad? skip it? His/her name is Goiter.

• d winkle
    5 years ago

May 11, 2018, anyone looking for tadpoles or frogs. Bog garden undisturbed over 10 years, has hundreds of tadpoles, some frogs....need to clean out wetlands, come and get um

• garyz8bpnw
    5 years ago

D winkle looking for frogs what city location?

• garyz8bpnw
    5 years ago

d winkle I'm looking for frogs and tadpoles, what city location?

• d winkle
    5 years ago

Just seeing your reply, the city is Worthington Ohio

• ginig
    5 years ago

Gary, I live in Vancouver, WA and am interested in native frogs and/or tadpoles. Do you have any?

• garyz8bpnw
    5 years ago

In Seattle area and sorry we have none.

• Amber Nichole
    4 years ago

Anyone that is intwres I have hundreds can message me! unicorns2008@outlook.com i have hubdreds beautiful different frogs!!

• HU-574317981
    3 years ago

Wow. Amazed at how many ignorant idiots out there. Too bad none of you can spell. Disgusting. This is why our world is such a mess. Pure

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations