SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soultan_gw

Who wants to order with me?

soultan
16 years ago

I have the opportunity to order a few South African varieties not readily available in the US. The only catch is that they are only available in packages of three. I would order them if someone would want to buy the two extra bulbs per variety. Each bulb would cost $11 plus the shipping to your particular area.

Here is the list.

Just think about it, and tell me if you would be interested. If I can find new homes for all the excess bulbs, I'd place my order.

The varieties: Fanfare(28/30), Baby Doll(20/22), Cupido (18/20), Jade Serpent(18/20), Peach Blossom(20/22), and Vesuvius(20/22).

Right now I am thinking about buying. You can write to me to soultan-@freemail.hu if you want the bulbs. I will consider and honor the first comes, first gets rule and we will work out the financial issues later. Right now I just would like to know if I should consider buying.

Comments (49)

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Just a head's up on Baby Doll - Wayside/Parks has it for $9.00 so you can get that one here in the US.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes. That's the only one I could find on wayside's site. So that can be left out maybe. Depends on the shipping cost.

• Related Discussions

to those who ordered pepper seeds from me

Q

Comments (3)
    ohhh tanya!!! :'(( best get well wishes and prayers for and to you!! :')) get well soon!! i so hope you have some good pain killers!! medo
    ...See More

Want to make sure my order will be okay, please check it for me g

Q

Comments (1)
    I am not sure about the pollinators, but a one-year old grape vine probably won't have any fruit this summer, should have some next summer, but it might only a couple of clusters, and by the third summer should have many (dozens) of clusters of fruit. At least that is the schedule at my place, where we tend to have periods of dry soil in the summer that may slow down the growth of grapes. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the schedule is accelerated in other places.
    ...See More

Who wants to help me ID my new babies?

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you ellen. They only look attractive because they're newly purchased lol. I don't have any cacti though, i wouldn't know the difference of caring for them and other succulents. Yes, I tried to do arrangements but i haven't had much success in making all the individual components thrive. I think you have to choose the ones with the same water and sunlight requirements. I'm still figuring that out. For instance, in my limited experience, sedum rubrotinctum doesn't like playing with others. (Or maybe the species just outright hates me). I keep the young offsets and propagating leaves in plastic containers and small pots because i heard they needed more moisture (please, anyone, correct me if i'm wrong). But the rest is in clay pots or ceramics with drainage holes. Iane (I'm still waiting for those IDs people before i pot them! :D) This post was edited by brown_panda on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 15:44
    ...See More

Who wants to trade seeds with me? :D

Q

Comments (2)
    well actually i cant post on that forum because to post on that forum you need to be a member registered as living in the USA. Im from the caribbean, so i cant post on there, it wont go though.
    ...See More
  • mariava7
    16 years ago

Soultan...I'm in for Fanfare, Baby Doll, Peach Blossom and Vesuvius. One of each variety. If you can't find somebody to get the third bulb...I'll get it! $11 is a cheap Christmas gift. Let's go shopping!!!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good. I got your e-mail too. So far you are the winner. :o)

• mariava7
    16 years ago

I have never ordered bulbs from Park Seed or Wayside Gardens. They are sister companies anyway, located in South Carolina. Even if they sell bulbs cheaper, I would rather order from a company that KNOWS bulbs. That Canadian company has quite a good reputation. I've had it with cheap bulbs. A difference of $2-3 in price is not worth a year or two of extra caring for poor quality bulbs. Most of the time, you get what you paid for.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Indeed. They sell bulbs cheaper, but with shipping, you come up more expensive. I hope I am betting on the right horse ordering these bulbs. So far we are two in this carriage, waiting for a third one to jump on and take a share.
    So after your participation, I still have one Fanfare(28/30), one Baby Doll(20/22), two Cupido (18/20), two Jade Serpent(18/20), one Peach Blossom(20/22), and one Vesuvius(20/22).
    Any takers?
    Wish I could order larger quantities from Hadeco itself. I would surely buy a Thai Thai... But that is a dream for a while. Let's concentrate on the beautiful Fanfare now. :o)

• mariava7
    16 years ago

How large of a quantity does Hadeco require anyway before they ship bulbs? Have you inquired?

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think they sell through dealers. We should ask them. I have sent them two letters in the last month and have not gotten any answers yet, so I don't really know what to do now. I love their varieties and I'd love some of them badly, but I am sure that I would not buy a 1,000 of each just to get my hand on a variety. We need to buy Amaryllis.com and sell from there.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Maybe it's time to email Mr. Barnhoorn. I haven't corresponded with him for months. He is really very nice.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He finally e-mailed back. My e-mails, he says, has been lost. He could not find them. But I resent them to him now and he identified my Milady as a sport/mutation. He did not say he was sorry though. I told him that it was disappointing that my Milady turned out this way.
    He also told me that Thai Thai is under multiplication right now and will be available soon. I hope so.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Judging by Hadeco's site, they appear to only sell huge quantities wholesale to greenhouses and stores. They have a helluva nice selection, though! I wouldn't mind having a few of their varieties! Ok, more than a few!

I've been thinking it over, soultan, and I'd love to have one of the Jade Serpents, and possibly one of the Fanfares. I will email you regarding your offer. I'd like to help take more off your hands if you order, but I don't think it will be possible for me at this time. Anyway, look for an email from me!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jodik,
    Got your e-mail.
    So a lot of bulbs have new homes already.
    The only ones that are still available for the taker are:
    one Baby Doll(20/22), one Cupido (18/20), one Jade Serpent(18/20), one Peach Blossom(20/22), and one Vesuvius(20/22).
    Is there anybody interested in them?
    Community ordering. :o)

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So is anyone interested in the extra 5 bulbs?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

What a coincidence... I was just about to bring this thread back to life and ask you how the "new home search" for the extra bulbs was going...

There must be someone out there whose collection needs a few new bulbs... these are beauties, too!

I looked up the photos for each variety, and all I can say is... wow! I can't wait to hear that the order has been placed and our new bulbs are on the way! :-)

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The order will be placed, as soon as I find homes for these 5 extras.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Soultan - I have been given the go-ahead to order more bulbs, so add to my order 1 Baby Doll, 1 Peach Blossom, and 1 Vesuvius. This takes me up to 6 bulbs total. I will follow this up with an email confirming my additions.

Thanks very much for this opportunity!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great. Now there are only two bulbs we have to find good homes for: one Cupido (18/20), one Jade Serpent(18/20). Anyone interested? I am ready to order tonight, if someone would like to snatch them up.

• leftynh6
    16 years ago

If the thread is still connected, I would like to take the Cupido and the Jade Serpent. I am a newbie, but I think that the best place to get your feet wet is where the 'big boys' are swimming!

Lefty

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Hi Lefty...Welcome! You will not regret getting Cupido and Jade Serpent. I have them and within less than a year, they have produced so many babies. I will post a pic of them hopefully tomorrow.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I can't wait to get mine and watch them grow and bloom! Every picture I've seen of them shows such beauty! The colors are gorgeous!

So, hopefully this means that the bulb "train" is full and we'll be pulling out of the station soon? I can't wait! I can't wait! I hope ordering goes according to plan, and all will be well...

I'm so excited! I can hardly contain my excitement! I might just have to break out in a dance of joy! LOL!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The package is ordered. I will let you know when the bulbs arrive and I can distribute them to you. If the indications are right, they ship within September. Wish us good luck.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But I just learned that there is no Peach Blossom. :o( I am not too happy about it, but what can I do? I inquired about why it has became unavailable, so we'll see what their answer will be. I will update you on the issue.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

That's unfortunate, but what can you do? If we can't get Peach Blossom, that's ok... would be nice if we could, but things happen that are beyond our control...

So, that means 5 bulbs each, instead of 6. I shall look forward to hearing from you regarding their arrival!

Thanks!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes. Peach Blossom is not available. They are saying they are out, but it might just happen that the stock was not quality enough to sell. It happened to me last year regarding to White Nymph. I still have to get that variety as well from somewhere.

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Oh shoot!!! I wanted that Peach Blossom more than the rest that I ordered. Oh well, maybe next year...or maybe sombody here in US got to order some or all of it. Hmmmmmm.... Time to email dear friends!!!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I can't remember if I saw it in any other catalogs or sites I looked it... I wonder if someone else has it available? It is a gorgeous looking flower according to the photo I saw. I Googled Peach Blossom Amaryllis, and very few sites have any information regarding it. I only could find one photo of it, too!

I'm still looking forward to receiving all the others, too! Even without the Peach Blossom, it's a nice selection!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, hard to get the miniatures from Hadeco. It seems like that Americans only like large flowers, so they concentrate on distributing those in the country. Why would they waste their money and shelf space on someting that will not go well or stay on their neck?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

There's no accounting for the tastes of the general public. I kind of like both the large and the miniature varieties, and both the single and the double, and both hybrids and species... I like 'em all! They all have their attributes...

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Hey Soultan I am glad you found other takers for your bulb order. Maria had emailed me, but my cash cow is on empty right now until I get my surgery. Thanks guys for thinking of me. I was really, really tempted to spend dollars I don't have! Looking forward to seeing your haul when it arrives!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I already indicated to all the suppliers I could find and contact this year that I am looking forward to getting some Amico from Hadeco. I have not seen it offered here in the US, but it is available from European retailers, so someone might be able to order a box or two and then I could buy a bulb... Hopefully.

Cindeea,
    I was thinking of waiting for you, but then thought, why should we... I am sure you will be full of bulbs, up to your neck even without these, so I just let it rest until all of the bulbs found daddies and mommies. Unfortunately, I waited too long, so we lost one variety, but that is fine... It means higher per bulb percentage for me, but I'll eat it.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maria, Jodik,

I have a disappointing news for you. I know I promised that there will not be Peach Blossom anymore, but I just got the confirmation, that even though slightly smaller bulbs, but, they can send me Peach Blossom, so I can have my original order. I hope you are not too disappointed. :o)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

We're back up to 6 bulbs, then! I can live with a slightly smaller bulb of Peach Blossom. That's fine.

When I read, "I have a disappointing news for you." my heart dropped in my chest! I thought you were going to tell us really bad news!

Whew! Relief! I AM glad that Peach Blossom has been added back to the list! The picture of it is so very pretty!

Looking forward to potting up 6 new bulbs! :-)

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The importer said that Peach Blossom tends to have smaller bulb than the other ones, so more fits in a box that they send to him, so I still get to buy a package if I am still interested. And I told him that if he twists my arms, then I'd be willing to buy that extra package.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

And I bet your arms won't have to be twisted too far! LOL!

• mariava7
    16 years ago

Ok...I have a few minutes to spare before I hit the sack. I am soooooo exhausted with all this driving around between school, both college and elementary, work and home.

Just to show you on what your getting, this is Cupido and Jade Serpent 10 months after it has been planted. They were both planted in a 4" clay pot and now in a 6"clay pot. They loved the hot summer temp. (90s) and just grew vigorously. Look at how many babies they have produced. Both of them are happy mothers. I cannot wait to get more of the Sonatinis.

Cupido...
    {{gwi:422866}}

Jade Serpent...just recovered from a fungus ATTACK!
    {{gwi:374847}}

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Wow! Nice! Now I'm even more excited to get the bulbs! Thanks for sharing those, Maria! Great pictures! They both look so happy and green!

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow... Good. Why don't I have bulbs that multiply that fast?

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Mine don't either! It took my Minerva bulb 6 years to grow an offset! And she was pretty pot bound! Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to over-fertilize... I'm pretty sure my bulbs are getting the right amounts of sunshine and food and water...

The only difference I can think of is that Maria's bulbs have a longer growing season than mine. But yours should have that, too, soultan! I wonder why ours don't multiply like Maria's?

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The small bulbs tend to multiply better. Minerva is not that quick on shooting up babies... At least that is what I have experienced. Apple Blossom is better.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

My Apple Blossom is not doing that well... the bulb feels a bit soft and I'm not sure what to do about it... I've re-potted it in fresh soil, and I'm not watering at present, waiting for the soil to completely dry out... I just don't think it's re-growing any roots. I actually think I might lose it, and that makes me sad because I've tried so hard to save it... Should I pull it out of the soil and give it a rest? Should I refrigerate it for 6 weeks and then re-pot? Or should I just let it be? It still has 2 green leaves, and the bulb looks green and healthy, except for feeling a little soft... Hmmm...

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd probably let it be as long as it wants to be green. I don't have soft bulbs right now. All of them are strong and healthy. Maybe, if you think it is not really strong, you should not force it, just keep it green over winter and let it work on getting energy instead of forcing it to bloom and possible deah.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Ok... I'll leave it be for the time being... it's definitely without any roots... it practically lifts right out of it's pot with no resistance... and the 2 leaves that remain are slowly dying... I'm at a loss...

It's my fault... I over-watered it. I was hoping it would recover, but it's not looking good. But, who knows? Maybe it will just take a long time to recover... I'm hopeful, still.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe when it dries out, it will recover. It still has time.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I hope so... even though I understand that some things are out of our control, I still hope it lives. It is so pretty when in bloom.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe you can repot it in new soil that is airy and light.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I did... and I also dusted it with cinnamon as Maria suggested. I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It will grow a cinnamon tree.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

LOL! :-)

• soultan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

leftynh6,
    I need you to e-mail me as soon as possible please if you are still interested in the bulbs. I never got a confirmation e-mail from you. soultan-@freemail.hu

Sponsored
More Discussions