SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_chybil

Help me, please. Where should I plant the trees?

Miss_Chybil
18 years ago

I did a little drawing of my backyard, but can't figure out how to post it. So here's a description... My house faces north. The backyard is on the south side and is surrounded by a slump block wall. Not including the sides of the house, which are in the backyard, the yard is approximately, 60' x 30'. At the west slump block wall I have a shaded tomato and pepper bed. I have a covered patio centered on the back of the house. On the east side of the patio is a dwarf navel orange tree. To the east of that on the side of the house a giant tree, (I'm not sure what it is - smooth, white bark that sheds) and the gate to the front yard.

I'd like to plant some trees that will give my future vegetables and other future plants some shade. I'd also like a couple more citrus trees. I'm not sure how much shade is too much shade for vegetables. Right now, the yard is full of bermuda grass. I don't want to get rid of all of it, just yet. I'm allergic as heck to it, but my backyard transformation is going to have to be a gradual one as I can't afford to do it all at once.

So, I want to plant more veggies and other plants and I'd like to create a microclimate for them. I hope you can help... I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

Comments (5)