SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
airkarat

Transportable nest of bees... will local beekeeper want it?

airkarat
16 years ago

I have a storage box with a hinged locking lid under my canoe outside and it has been full of wood-ends all cut to fit my woodstove. The lid has been open @ 2 inches all summer and honeybees have been nesting in there. I've seen them still 2 weeks ago when we had a warm spell. Its now mid-October and though its not yet freezing overnight, I've not seen any bees come in or out during the cool days.

I was planning on asking a local beekeeper if he wanted the bees, as all that would be needed is to remove a few pieces of wood off the top, pop down the lid and voila.

Now, I'm wondering if you think the bees would have abandoned their nest, first off. I've thrown pebbles at the box but nothing flew out. If I put my ear to it would I hear buzzing? How can I tell without seriously disturbing them?

Actually I should back up and tell you that in my non-expert observation, they LOOK like HONEY bees - definitely not wasps or yellow jackets.

Second question, if the bees are present, would a local beekeeper be interested in having them, especially if they were this easy to capture?

Third, is this the right time to transfer bees? And if we wait till spring, will they have maybe frozen to death? Should i try to close the lid leaving a smaller gap? Or duct tape it leaving a small entrance?

The box is Rubbermaid thin hard plastic and maybe 3.5 x 2.5 x 2 feet in dimension. Its under a raised canoe that shelters it from rain, but is resting dirctly on gravel, not raised, and not very well protected from wind.

I have a net jacket with full head coverage (for camping) - thats what I plan to wear (with gloves) if I attempt anything with this box without supervision ;)

Thanks for any responses... I don't see a need for them to die.

Lisa in Ontario Canada

Comments (7)

Sponsored