SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildebloem

H. acramannii

15 years ago

I scored one of the best amaryllis deals yet today at our farmers' market: a 10" pot of H. acramannii (I have seen it listed as ackermannii as well) with an adult bulb, four side bulbs, and a blooming stalk with two flowers. And all that for ten dollars.

I have a tiny bulb in the greenhouse the grower gave me a few years ago, but other than that, I have never grown this. It is hardier than most, from what I have been told. So how hardy is it, really, and does it require anything significantly different from the usual amaryllis care?

Comments (24)

• 15 years ago

That IS a nice score, to be sure! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available on this particular species... from the little bit I found, I gather that the flowers are a nice red, and that it's hardier than most... although, just how hardy it is was not a fact I could find. I would think, judging by the history of the Hippeastrum in general, that anything north of zone 7 would be a death sentence if planted outside in the garden... and even in zone 7, I'd plant it in a protected area and mulch heavily! Otherwise, I think it's probably best to keep it potted so it could be brought indoors before frost!

I wish you luck in finding culture information... great find, Wildebloem! Why can't I ever run into deals like these?! LOL!

• 15 years ago

Hey!

I have seen it spelled numerous ways also. Another is Ackermanii and still another is Akermanii, so who knows?

All the references that I have seen say that these are a hardy to zone 7, so I would expect that you would be fine in Oregon.

I have grown Johnsonii in the ground for years. In the next week or so, some of my Ackermanii will go in the ground. We will see....

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

• 15 years ago

The available information is so inconsistent, I think I will just wait until the plant needs division, then keep some indoor, some out. That way, if we do get one of those nasty winters we sometimes get, I will not lose the whole thing.

• 15 years ago

That's a good idea! I know I'd sure hate to lose an entire plant to bad weather... I can't wait until it blooms for you, so we can see what the flowers look like! I understand that the red is a lovely shade!

• 15 years ago

It is in bloom now. It has one stalk with two flowers. One of the flowers is pretty much done, but the other looks fresh, so I will try to take some photos. Of course, not having a digital, I will not have them this instant :))

• 15 years ago

That's ok... if there's one thing I've gotten from having both hippeastrums and children, it's patience! :-)

• 15 years ago

I can't believe I even have to ask....photos??? :o)

I'm a very visual person (yes, this would be the one sense of the 5 I would NEVER give up).

I'd love to see a shot of this bulb of yours! Having read your post thoroughly now, I see a digital version isn't available-- but do hurry :o)

• 15 years ago

Actually, I have wanted to see some shots I had in the camera, so I took some of the acramannii as well and had them developed just now. Unfortunately, Photobucket does not want to upload tonight. Will try again later.

• 15 years ago

Whatever gremlins were holding up the uploads seem to have taken a small hike (only one photo uploads at a time, then the uploads shut down). Slow, imperfect, but it works. Here goes.

Here then is the entire plant. For context: the pot diameter is 10". The stalk is 20" tall from the top of the bulb to the top of the flower. As I mentioned, one flower has gone, and I doubt the second will last very long - we are supposed to have 100F or so tomorrow, and plants here are not used to that any more than are people.
    {{gwi:422062}}

And the bulbs, one adult with its four offshoots:
    {{gwi:422063}}

The flower. It is 6" in diameter from top to bottom. It is the best red, not quite so tomato bright as the second close-up, but deeper. I love those center markings.
    {{gwi:422064}}

{{gwi:422065}}

• 15 years ago

Wow! It's every bit as lovely as I thought it would be! Thank you, Wildebloem, for rushing those photos!

The red is beautiful, and those center markings are very unusual! I love them! The flowers have a nice trumpet shape, and the plant reminds me of the Germa bulbs I had bloom earlier this year... except for the color, of course!

It was certainly worth waiting to see this beauty, Wildebloem! I'd say that you got a fantastic deal on this one... you're so lucky! It's a definite keeper! Thanks for sharing!

• 15 years ago

OH! Thank you for the pictures!!!!!!!!!

I also purchased some of these, and there were many in each pot. One pot bloomed, and it turned out to be Johnsonii. Unfortunately, none of the other pots bloomed.

It is a good idea to always keep at least one large one in a protected area. One never knows when we are going to get a record breaking low (freeze).

Thanks, again for the pictures! I can't wait to see mine bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 15 years ago

Elizabeth, don't take my word for it that these are acramannii. That is what the label says, and the grower tends to be very careful about identification. But I have not compared them to anything yet, so I do not know if his label is accurate.

In any case, I love the flower.

• 15 years ago

if i wanted to order this paticular bulb,what name should i look for...i'm in love again! i love red,in my house,flowers,clothes,etc.it looks to be a "real" or true red.no orange whatsorver in it,i love it,i want one.jodik,you seem to be up on it all,is there an amaryllis society or whatever website?i need pictures.my husband says my brugmansia will go by the wayside,i've fallen for another plant.he just don't get it,does he?

• 15 years ago

This particular bulb, H. acramannii, is a species type, and may be difficult to locate for purchase... most of the species types are either sold by specialty companies or individuals. I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to look, although, eBay might be a place to begin searching. Sometimes, if you Google a Hippeastrum name, you'll come up with information. Good Luck!

• 15 years ago

Granny,

Plant Delights Nursery has Ackermanii, Voodoo and Johnsonii (St. Joseph).

Do a google search for the company name, browse their catalog, click on 'hibiscus - x Homoglad' and scroll down until you see them.

Have FUN!

• 15 years ago

I checked out the Plant Delights catalog, but their Hippeastrum 'Ackermanii' appears different from mine. The color difference could be just the photograph, but the markings appear different as well. And it is reported to bloom in April/May. In all, this does not appear to be the same plant. Still, it may be well worth trying their plant. I have never ordered from this company, so I have no idea how they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum 'Ackermanii' (Ackerman's Hardy Amaryllis)

• 15 years ago

You're right, Wildebloem... their photo doesn't look like yours! Isn't it funny that there's so much variation within one variety? I realize that it's bound to be that way due to many variables, but it seems like sometimes the variation is quite pronounced!

• 15 years ago

To be honest, I am starting to give up putting too much weight on names and labels. I have repeatedly seen enormous variation when I bought plants of the same name. I have also bought or been sent completely mislabeled bulbs. In all, I think it wise to just focus on the plant, and consider the label a suggestion rather than law...

• 15 years ago

I'm inclined to agree with you... and not just regarding Hippeastrums, either! I've gotten several mis-labeled Daylilies and other plants this year, and I'm about to throw in the proverbial towel on tagging! Even when plants are labeled properly, getting a tag to stay with the plant, and getting a tag that will keep the information readable for more than a few months seems to be next to impossible! Worrying about tags and proper names takes the enjoyment out of it all!

One of these days, I'll get so frustrated with the tag issue that I'll rip out every single tag there is and just garden for the sheer joy involved! Isn't that what it's all about, anyway?!

• 15 years ago

Supposed to be, yes. But I also enjoy keeping records, tracking plants, so I keep trying. I found some rigid tags that really work well. Never use those "permanent" markers though, just a pencil (not too soft). The tags last for years. I check all of my plants at least twice a year when they go in/out of the greenhouse, so I just replace the tags as needed. Once the plants are out, most bets are off though - raccoons (especially the babies), turkeys, squirrels, etc. all love to play with them. So I keep a written record that includes pot diameter - if all else fails, sometimes I can identify the plant by pot size. We do what we can eh?

• 15 years ago

Normally, I would say that I simply remember what I planted in a certain spot... and several years ago, that statement would be true! My memory used to be top notch... so was my record-keeping. These days, I'm not so good at remembering things... and my records tend to be a bit lax because I forget to write things down!

If I remember, this coming winter I've got a project to do... I'm hoping to make some metal embossed tags out of sheet metal from a craft store. I think the metal would be much more permanent than the cheap plastic or wood tags I've been using.

It's much easier to keep indoor plants tagged... it's the outdoor ones that have me pulling my hair out!

• 15 years ago

Definitely try the metal tags. When I was hybridizing iris, my husband used welding wire to make the stakes. Just whatever height you prefer, then make a loop at the top. I bought metal tags that are soft enough to write on, the writing dents the metal and it is pretty much permanent. The only problems I had after that were the also permanent teeth marks as the animals tried to dislodge the tags...

I have found the cheap plastic tags pretty much useless, too. The more substantial ones are difficult to impossible to find, but when I do find them, I stock up.

• 15 years ago

One of the projects I'm hoping to accomplish this winter is to make a whole batch of metal tags... I'll find some sheet metal at one of the craft stores, thick enough hold up and thin enough to be embossed with a stylus... then, as you said, I'll raid Larry's welding equipment for rods to use as hangers... I've used welding rod in the past as plant stakes, cutting them to length and making a large loop at the top. They work pretty well.

We've been pretty lucky in that the only wild animals bold enough to walk through the gardens are the barn cats, and the wild packs of coy dogs loose in the area... the but neither does any damage besides leaving footprints in the mud! The only other animals to pass through the gardens do so underground... the moles!

By next spring, I expect to have a good number of metal embossed tags to keep the plant varieties straight! I think they'll work out fine, if my plan comes together as I hope it will!

• 15 years ago

A rare beauty indeed. Does any one have seeds for sale? David

Sponsored
More Discussions