SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
algreen_gw

trouble with banana plants

algreen
18 years ago

I really have no experience with growing bananas, but more than a year ago my next door neighbor gave me several shooters that had grown from his plants. Bear in mind his plants were at least 16 feet tall and grew in huge clusters that were continuously re-producing more offspring. I planted these shooters on property that I own in southeast Orlando Fl. The shooters really have not grown much at all, they are still small, the tallest one is about a foot and a half tall. They get plenty of water and plenty of sunlight. The soil that they are growing in is the native orlando soil, which is not the greatest, it is very sandy and almost resembles beach sand. Would it be wise to dig up the banana plants, and re-condition the soil, so that it is more rich in humus and organics? Also, some of the shooters have produced there own shooters, but not very many. If anyone has information that would help me I would greatly appreciate it. I would like these plants to survive and grow like crazy, just like the plants that they came from did.

Thanks

Algreen

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus