SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Bee question

gardengalrn
15 years ago

I have been at my current home for a little over a year now. We have 10 acres and I garden, grow flowers, etc. We have a large tree in the front yard and after a neighbor pointed it out, noticed that it indeed has a large nest of bees. My neighbor said it has been there for years. Now that I know it is there, I see bees flying around during the day. They have never caused a problem nor have we been stung (knock on wood) despite DH mowing there on a regular basis. Keeping in mind that I know NOTHING about bees, I assume that they are honey bees. The opening to the tree is about the size of an oval softball and when you look in there you can see combs. The bees are small and the ones lingering around the opening usually have pollen collected on their legs.

Being a gardener, I understand and appreciate their importance here. Since they have caused me no grief as of yet, I would just as soon leave them be. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Could they be convinced to relocate to a man-made hive in the future or is that not advised? Lori

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington