SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kurlisola

Can someone help me identify this bamboo?

kurlisola
18 years ago

I don't have a pic yet (digital camera still packed away). Here's the history. Live in Hampton VA. Apparently (according to my new neighbor), about 15 years ago he planted a pot of bamboo. It now covers an area of about 25 ft in diameter. Most all appear to be uniform size of between 6-8 feet tall. So, I guess the max height is about 8 ft. The cut stalks are about 1/2 inch or slightly larger, in diameter. Dh says that it has been very easy to cut the stalks. The roots are in masses of about 12-14 inches in diameter, then a runner(s) extend away from the mass to form a new root clump. The runner extends about 2 feet to the next clumb. When he pulled up a clump of roots, there is new growth, just below the surface (so I'm guessing the shoots will emerge in early spring). Also, since the shortest plants are 6 ft, I'm guessing that they attain that growth the first year, then glow much slower to the 8 ft max that they have after 15 years. As for the leaves, I don't know what to look for on those. On a stalk I'm looking at now, there are 7 large leaves (about 10 inches long) & a newer short leave, lower on the stalk from the others & thats about 6 inches long. Also, the roots seem to be mostly near ths surface, with a few going down as far as 12 inches.

Its a beautiful clump of bamboo & doesn't appear overly invasive. Unfortunately it is in one of the most sunny spots in the yard & where I want to plant raised garden beds. So, I'm going to offer it to anyone who wants to come by & dig up a clump. But I need to know what it is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments (16)

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

I'm not sure from your description that this is bamboo, even though it looks like it to you. Bamboo leaves are attached to branches, and it sounds like the leaves you are observing are attached directly to the stalk/culm. The leaves also sound much larger than almost any bamboo you're likely to encouter. Also, bamboo culms are wood-like and tough. You can cut small diameter ones with a decent pair of pruners, but I would not describe them as easy to cut. If I've misinterpreted your description, please tell me, but I'm thinking you have something like Arundo donax (which, unfortunately, is considered an invasive weed). Here's a link with some pictures for you to look at:
    Arundo donax

What do you think?

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't really know. I just assumed it was bamboo because thats what I generally believe some bamboos to look like & thats what the neighbor said it was.

The leaves are attached directly to the stalk/culm...but only up at the very top. Almost like a fan of leaves. The leaves don't go all the way down, instead are at the top 6 inches of stalk. The coloring is similar to a couple pictures that you posted (lightish green-which is very different from the dark evergreen color I've seen in other samples).

I guess easy to cut is subjective. Dh was the one doing it & he said that they stalks were easy, its going to be the roots that are hard to do.

Lisa

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

kurlisola-
    From what you say in your second post, it's clearly not bamboo. No bamboo has that kind of leaf structure.

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kudzu. I'll take a sample down to the cooperative extension & see if they can identify it. If not, I'll dig up my digital camera & take some pictures.

Thanks again for your help.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

kurlisola-
    If you take a picture, post it in the gallery here...I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

• divahethr
    18 years ago

you've got my attention...i too live on the peninsula =)

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, I took some digital pics. Let me see if I can post them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:425937}}

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bamboo picture #3

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:425939}}

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bamboo #2

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:425941}}

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

kurlisola-
    You do have bamboo! I have been known to make mistakes and this is one of them. I think you've got Sasa palmata, or some closely-relate Sasa. Go this link and compare it to the pictures you've posted and see what you think:

Sasa

Here's where I went wrong. It is true that bamboo don't have a plume only at the top, but they do tend to leaf out mainly at the top when there is a densely packed grove like you have and the lower leaves can't get much light. Also, we miscommunicated on how the leaves are attached. If you look closely at the leaves, they are on branches that split alternatively off from the culm, but I can understand how it looks to you that they're directly attached. Lastly, most bamboo do not have anywhere near that large a leaf, so, when I put that together with everything else, I came to the wrong conclusion. I'm glad you posted the pictures.

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Kudzu! I feel honored to have stumped an expert-lol! The link you provided definately has pics of my bamboo. It was confusing to me because I'd seen bamboo before, but it was much taller (30 some odd feet) & dark green & you are correct, much smaller, narrower leaves.

So, is this sasa palmata very invasive? Doesn't seem so to me. I'd love to keep a bit of it; but in a different location. And I'd really have to keep it contained. I guess I'm off to do some reading.

Thank you so much!

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

kurlisola-
    Well, it's a runner, rather than a clumper, so it will keep spreading out, but it doesn't look like your neighbor has totally lost control. That's a pretty tight grove for a runner that is that old. If you would like to try growing it, I have 2 suggestions. First, this bamboo does pretty well in large containers, so you might try it in a large pot for a couple of years. Make sure that you use a standard, vase-shaped container, because you won't be able to repot it if you put it in something with a top opening that curves back in (the roots go out to the edges and circle , and it's almost impossible to get out then). Second, you can plant it in the ground and then just chop the rhizomes with a sharp shovel each year in the fall. Any roots beyoond the chop line will wither and die. This is how I keep mine in check without bothering to put a barrier in the ground. Good luck.

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

See, thats the "bizarre" part of this. We just purchased this house 2 months ago. The previous owners lived here for about 18 years. Our neighbor planted this in OUR yard (of course it wasn't our yard 15 years ago). Who the heck knows why? I can't even imagine taking one of our indoor potted invasive plants & popping over next door to plant it-lol! The thing is, he's proud of how well it has grown? We'll be putting a fence up in another couple of weeks. So, he'll have to hop the fence to plant the poison oak he's got clippings of:-)

May I ask you a question about where to put it? Our house is on a crawl space. I was thinking of putting a clump of it in a shady spot right up against the house & the deck. I'll keep it in check by chopping the rhizomes, as you mentioned. However, if they go under the house (into the crawl) or under the deck, will that be a problem? There is absolutely no light under the crawl & almost completely dark under the deck. Will the plant naturally "not" grow in those areas? I don't want to create a bigger problem.

I'm also going to offer the rest up on freecycle or the va board here at gardenweb (free for the digging). Do you think people would want this? Any transplant issues I should know about?

Thanks so much.

• divahethr
    18 years ago

if you are letting bamboo crazed strangers on your property...i hope i get to be one of them! lol

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

kurlisola-
    Shade isn't a protection against rhizomes spreading. They can spread in any direction and send up shoots. Their main source of energy is the "mother plant" they're attached to, which is why a shoot can come up and grow even though it doesn't get a lot of sun. If you rhizome prune regularly, you shouldn't have to worry about the bamboo coming up under the deck or the house.

As far as advertizing it, you should get takers, unless you're not in or near a big city. I've gotten a lot of bamboo from people who wanted it out of their yards. Between now and spring is a good time to dig, because bamboo goes somewhat dormant during this period and is less prone to transplant shock.

• kurlisola
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again for your help kudzu.

Also, if anyone lives in the Hampton Roads area of VA & you want to take some of this for yourself, please email me. No charge, just come & dig up what you want.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living