SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

September 2014 garden updates--how does yours look?

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Happy September! This is definitely the time of year when I noticed the nights and mornings being really pleasant again. What about you? Oh sure, afternoons are often hot, but the humidity starts to recede by mid month and the duration of the day's peak temperature gets shorter and shorter. I can definitely see some plants already responding positively to the less hot nights. What about your garden? We love garden updates, good/bad/otherwise!

Here are some things looking good in my little garden. First up, my Stapelia gigantea in a hanging basket in a Meyer lemon tree. It made a six pointed flower instead of the usual five pointed flower, which happens now and then:

{{gwi:417922}}

My "spider lilies" (Lycoris) are up and blooming around the garden too. Honestly, I really DO forget they're there all summer long, and then BAM, surprise!, some blooms. That explains one of their other common names "surprise lilies". Great bulbs here that bloom in late summer/early autumn, and then make foliage in winter, and then disappear into sleep all summer long. No summer water required, hah!

{{gwi:417923}}

Garlic chives are blooming like crazy (another plant that even in a container in sun hasn't missed me being away for five one-week trips this summer).

{{gwi:417925}}

And silly fun "cypress vine" clambering up/over some spineless prickly pears.

{{gwi:417927}}

Finally, one of my own hand pollinated stapelia hybrids (S. grandiflora x S. gigantea (yup the big boy in the first pic above)). I've got several dozen of these hybrids from my pollination on the east side of the house and a few early ones have started blooming, but I'm hopeful that a lot more will bloom too. It's fun to see the variation among the siblings, each with a different percentage of traits from their two parents.

{{gwi:417929}}

Okay, your turn! What looks good/bad/awful in your garden? Starting any seeds for autumn? I've got the urge, but I'm trying to hold off until mid-month, hah!

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my little garden, September 2014

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?