SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Update on the Long Driveway Bed (with photos)

Pamchesbay
13 years ago

Last winter, I was struggling with a big problem and shared it with folks on the WS forum:

"My house is set back from the main road. The driveway goes straight about 700 feet, then curves to the left for about 100 feet, then curves again to the entrance. I'd love to have a mixed shrub and flower bed along the driveway but don't have time to do it, nor to care for it if it magically appeared.

"I'd like to create a bright, cheerful welcoming area. The house is about 100 feet from the Chesapeake Bay. Challenges are wind, poor soil, and occasional flooding during tropical storms and nor'easters. Given this info, do you all have thoughts or suggestions?"

Did you ever! You shared so many ideas and suggestions. Here are a few photos from the first year - and what a year it's been. I focused on the area nearest the house - 400' or so. I divided this chunk into 5 beds with paths in between for lawn tractor access.

All beds include rudbeckias (Lynda, thanks for that idea). I planted different varieties of rudbeckia and different companion plants in each bed so each has a different look and personality. I learned so much by doing this - it was an incredible learning experience.

This bed includes rudbeckia hirta varieties (Denver Daisy and Indian Summer), sunflowers, purple millet, white cleome, rose campion, and yellow forget-me-nots.

{{gwi:422250}}

Sunflowers provide height and a color echo with the R. Goldsturm and zinnias below. Smaller plants are tucked in between ... somewhere ...

{{gwi:422253}}

In this bed, red and purple zinnias contrast with the golden-yellow rudbeckias and sunflowers.

{{gwi:422257}}

Cherokee Sunset rudbeckias and zinnias pop when planted with burgundy okra and purple amaranth. I need some cream or white here.

{{gwi:422259}}

Cherokee Sunset rudbeckias, Lynda's zinnias, burgundy okra, and purple millet. I stuffed so many tiny seedlings into these beds because I had NO IDEA how BIG they would get. The cleomes have trunks! Next year, I plan to make all the beds at least twice as wide.

{{gwi:422262}}

Cherokee Sunset rudbeckia, burgundy okra, purple amaranth, with rose campion getting crowded out by the big guys. As these flowers fade in the heat and drought, Lynda's zinnias are stealing the show!

{{gwi:422265}}

I always love to see the photos you all post - they inspire and educate me. I hope you'll enjoy these.

Thank you!!

Comments (24)

Sponsored