SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sqinaz

Remedy for bee stings

sqinaz
15 years ago

I am allergic to bee/wasp stings, and, while I have yet to have breathing problems from the stings, the times I have been stung I have wound up in the ER because the venom moves up my limb causing a huge, hard, hot, red area that keeps expanding until treated.

Last time this happened (about 20 years ago, thankfully), the ER doctor told me to keep Adolph's Instant Meat Tenderizer handy, and make a paste out of it, and apply it to the sting area, as the Papain in that variety of meat tenderizer draws out the venom. (Papain is made from papaya's somehow.)

You can't use other brands of tenderizer if they don't contain the Papain. And I don't know if you can actually purchase Papain powder/paste/liquid at health food stores nowadays, but I should check into that. Purer Papain would be better.

I've considered getting an Epinephrine dosage pen just in case my allergic reaction has escalated to the "close off the lungs" stage, and because of our mostly Africanized bee population out here, but in the meantime, I always have Adolph's Instant Meat Tenderizer on hand, just in case.

Comments (3)

Sponsored