SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonybeeguy

some good news ramblings on

tonybeeguy
16 years ago

I thought it might be nice for people to read some good bee news for a change so here goes. We did a check of some of our hives today and all is well so far. We had one that lost a queen (not due to swarming)but it has capped Queen cells so should be queenright in a week. The bees are still bringing in loads of nectar. Another hive is one I got from a fallen tree a week and a half ago. There was no salvageable comb since the tree was crushed. All I got were bees and I put them on 10 medium drawn frames, which was what I had at the time. I checked it today, and there was lots of larvae so the queen made it on board. That was more good news. I just transfered the 2 story nuc I started into 10 frame boxes. The 5 other hives in my backyard are also doing well.One overwintered, one is a nuc I started and 2 are newly installed packages. One of the new packages is putting the others to shame. I just added a second honey super, while the other new hive is just getting started on it's first. The last one is a friend's hive that a bear got. We moved what was left, which amounted to a couple pounds of bees and no brood, to my yard. I added a frame of brood,and a frame of honey and requeened it. It's now about ready for a second hive body. Have 4 more to check sometime this week.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor