SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Rain - glorious rain

With this being the 12th day of temperatures over 95 and the 27th day with no measurable rainfall, imagine my joy when at about 7:45 PM CDT I heard a sound on the roof...I muted the TV and thought, "That can't be!! Is it raining?". I threw open the front door and ran to the edge of the entry way. The telltale drops had darkend spots on the driveway. I stood in wonder as the dark clouds gathered above the tops of the oaks. The air smelled damp. As the wind gained strength, I hurried back to place buckets and watering cans at the "usual spots" where the runoff from the roof seemed to gather. I dashed from the front of the house to the back - who cares that my socks were wet! I grabbed 2 more buckets and positioned them to catch roof water. I lined up plants under the roof's dripline. I threw on my Croc sandles and ran into the back yard. My hair got drenched and my gauze top quickly was dripping wet, but I didn't care! It was like a miracle (of course, one crack of thunder and I would have dashed into the house)...my glassed got soaked (and I couldn't see to well)...but it was quickly growing cooler and everything was getting a drink of quenching rain that was so long overdue!! The birds in the trees were rejoicing as well, as I could hear their excited chatter through the rain as it struck each leaf of my towering crepe myrtle and maples, all thirsty as small children on a hot afternoon.

It rained for nearly 30 minutes. Poured really...and I walked the yard for most of it, making sure that each parched blade of grass on the side yard was getting its share. The water puddled in areas since the ground was baked hard by the recent hot spell. Yeah! Every little green friend will be happy and fat with water tonight. Maybe the tree frogs will start their "peeping" soon! It's the first day of summer and we were gifted with this shower. Maybe things aren't so bad after all. I sit here in a wet guaze shirt and shorts...getting chilly, but had to pour this all out and share the excitement that an unexpected downpour can bring.

OH...and happy Father's day to all the dads on the list (big brothers and mentors too...and surrogate dads too>>>>OK to any man who has made a difference in the life of a child>>>>I'm feeling generous!)

:0) LOL!!!

Kristi

Spring, TX

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions