SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

Flowers, flowers and more flowers... (Part 1)

mariava7
15 years ago

Amazing!!! This season just got me overwhelmed with the collection coming back so beautifully. Although I have not been able to post their flowers here for a looooong time, their pics are stored in my camera. I think my last post of their pics was like May. But I'll try to catch up. The problem is where to begin...lol! So I started with the most current pics in my camera.

I have right now 25 pots in full bloom and more putting out scapes. It would take forever for me to post their pics in this post. So I will make these a series of pics so it won't be so hard for us still on dial-up to open a post.

Enjoy!

Fist and foremost is Supreme Garden. This is a seperated bulblet from last season giving out 8 or 9 scapes with almost 5" "WOW orange" flowers. My inspiration in hybridizing the "little ones".

{{gwi:413476}}

Double Roma

A new one this season with huge very well formed behaved petals. A LOT prettier than Red Peacock, Red Nymph or Ragtime.

{{gwi:413477}}

Striped Panther(top), Pink Floyd(left) and Flamingo(right). Flamingo is a newly acquired Sonatini.

{{gwi:413478}}

Sprekelia

Teasing me with just one flower. I have 5 bulbs of this planted in big pot.

{{gwi:413479}}

Sydney

New this season. I found it's pic in my files, intended to be posted here. I think Sydney bloomed last May.

{{gwi:413481}}

Mislabeled Venetto

This is a very controversial newly acquired Sonatini. You will not believe this but it is a "No Name"...lol! Mr. Leenen himself, the grower of the "hardy sonatinis", would not ID it and said that it is just a regular pink variety. Regular? NOT!!! It is a trumpet too. Time to think of a name I guess. Just like Peaches&Cream...lol!

{{gwi:413482}}

Piccolo and Zombie giving out some more blooms after resting for a month or two. Mr. CB explains that resting period after the sonatinis flowered as their adjusting to our Northern environment(hemisphere). Top Choice is also waking up and has put up a scape. Will post pics when it's flowers open.

{{gwi:413483}}

The ever famous Blushing Bride reblooms with6 flowers/scape. So lovely and delicate...

{{gwi:413485}}

Candy Floss

With that particular red striping coming from the eye...

{{gwi:413487}}

Faro

Wakes up with two scapes. It is right now so pretty with 7 light peach/pink open faced blooms. It has a slight scent too.

{{gwi:413489}}

Pink Star

So far is the only miniature amaryllis that I have seen with this nice pink color. Very reliable variety, coming back every year. Pink Star bloomed 3 times last year.

{{gwi:413491}}

Last but not the least for this post...

Red Charm

From the hybridizer of Blossom Peacock comes this simple and reliable variety. It gets prettier and more double every time it comes back. I remember it's very first flowers 2 seasons ago as like semi-double.

{{gwi:413492}}

More to come... Just not that soon...ok? By the way, we're getting high-speed internet in a month or two! Yayyyyy!!!

Comments (15)

• blancawing
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you, Maria.

Your post was truly delightful!!!

• abby11
    15 years ago

Thank you Maria from stopping us from dying from hippie starvation.

At this time of the year the blooms do seem so rare.

They are true treasures that you have displayed especially the Garden Supreme klisters.

I could not help but notice your newly acquired sonatini 'Flamingo'.

Hans-Werner has also created a most beautiful exquisite pink which he also called 'Flamingo'. It looks as if they liked the name and linked it to their bloom.

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=dd221a626b503f8cd9055197c26ccc6e&threadid=4600&highlight=flamingo

Here is a link that might be useful: Flamingo

• Related Discussions

more flowers part 2

Q

Comments (6)
    Just suggestions: 1) Euonymus, E. alatus 2) Vernonia 3) Eupatorium purpureum (Joe pye weed)
    ...See More

Cottage Flowers for more shade than most flowers prefer.

Q

Comments (9)
    You're so funny, Marilyn.. this is Indiana -- the highway dept grows grass where it's flat and crown vetch where it's steeply sloped. That's it. Ladybird did your state a huge favor in the 60s, believe me! We get a lot more rain than you get, so it's not like it will be *that* dry. I just didn't want somebody to say hostas or something. I want it to look like the pictures here on the forum, but I have a feeling their cottage gardens are more well-planned than they let on... Maybe white hesperis, cleome, and milkweed. That would be awfully pretty in pink and white. A little scent from the hesperis will be nice, too. Is white hesperis seed I should look for in the seed exchange or bite the bullet and order it? Lime
    ...See More

Fridays Flowers Part 1 of 2

Q

Comments (16)
    BOB MARLEY is a fairly big flower and such color. So it really stands out. I do really love this one. The picture of BASS GIBSON proves it doesn't need any extra pampering to look great and show those teeth and that edge. Mine just sits out in the garden there with the other daylilies. Jean- The one by the fence is a Melanie Mason intro LONGLESSION SHOWOFF. Not sure why its so two tones there. Usually its more redder all over.
    ...See More

Will mowing thyme flowers cause MORE flowers?

Q

Comments (3)
    eventually- but it takes two months or so for them to rebloom- and in that time, they're usually tall enough to be mowed again. I had the same problem with the thyme planted in my garden bench- I love my bees, but several friends are fairly reactive, and one's downright phobic, so I tend to trim them before a party, and put the flowering tips in a little bowl to enjoy :)
    ...See More
  • jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Where do I begin, Maria?! First... I'm so happy to see you posting... you've been missed!

Second... what lovely blooms! I can only imagine what it's like to be standing in front of all that beauty, and all at once! I don't think I could choose a favorite... they all have their merits, whether it's shape or color or size... wow! If I had to make a choice, though, I think Supreme Garden might take first place!

And third... I'm glad that you'll be getting a faster connection! It will make quite a difference, both in loading pages and uploading photos!

I've tried to keep things colorful with garden photos, but they're just not the same as hippeastrum blooms! I've probably been boring the heck out of everyone! I'm very happy to see your wonderful pictures! More, please!

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all very welcome and thank you...

Here's a quick shot of today's bloomers. Group pic specially for you Jodi. I know you love them this way.:-)

On the floor starting from the left: Orange Sovereign, Susan, Flaming Peacock, Supreme Gardens (did a good job at hiding my clutter...lol), Pamela, Wedding Dance and Donaus on top of Maya's cage.
    {{gwi:413493}}

On the table: Red Charm, Pink Floyd, Flamingo, Vivaldi, Solomon, Black Pearl, Top Choice, Striped Panther, Blushing Bride, Candy Floss, Floris Hecker, and Showmaster. And my Phaleonopsis that was given to me by the girls on Mother's Day with none of it's flowers wilting yet.
    {{gwi:413495}}

Why are the bloomers inside? Earwigs!!! They eat the flowers specially the pollens and the stigmas. There are also these tiny bees that mess up the pollens and I don't want the flowers to be pollinated by them. That I think is my job...lol! Hummingbirds would also occasionally check out the flowers including me!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

WOw, what a breath of "Winter" air! Absolutely glorious! Thank you!

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Maria,

Those group shots are so inspiring!

You have motivated me to spend the rest of the afternoon feeding and pampering my babies and encouraging them to bloom again.

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

OH! Maria!

Thank you! Like Blanca says, it is an inspiration to us all to care these babies.

I especially like the Pink Star and Striped Panther, neither of which I have.

Sonatini, I have not tried yet, but hope to do so in the future. The NOID is special! Take care of that one! I would buy it in a heart beat.

When you have the time, keep on posting those pics that you have saved. They are an inspiration to us ALL!

Enjoying the view...

Ann

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Maria - I'm in awe! Thank you so much for the lovely group shots! They are positively breathtaking!

You know, I was all set to start taking my bulbs outdoors to enjoy the nice summer weather... and then yesterday, I noticed that some bug had completely eaten the swelling seed pods off of my new Sprekelia bulbs! I am so disappointed! I pollinated them, and they were just beginning to show signs of success... and now this! I could just cry!

And so... every bulb I have indoors is staying indoors! I'm investing in lights, even if it means I won't be able to get as many new bulbs this year as I had wanted!

Again... your flowers just overwhelm me, Maria! You are the consummate hippi gardener! I bow to you! I am not worthy! :-)

• mariava7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Jodi...quit that! LOL!!! I'm the craziest hippie gardener is the truth.

Sometimes I wonder why am I doing all of these. 200 plus of pots of ammies WILL give you flowers almost all year round in this zone. Most of the ones in the group shot are just my ammies from last season coming back from their winter dormancy (not forced). Each variety has their own time table on when to bloom. Some bloom earlier, some later. Your collection will be doing the same next season if you let them go dormant this coming winter. For now, just keep on taking very good care of them as you are.

Remember the "After Bloom Care"...What you provide them now will greatly affect their performance next season. I suggest you let them have what's best for them...sunlight.

Blanca...Keep up the good work specially with the "little ones". Most probably they might not bloom again this season. It is their growing/leafing out season right now. here in my zone anyway. Provide them with all the caring they need for they will sleep early (specially the Sonatinis), earlier than the large flowered ones. Remember my email to you?

Elizabeth...Pink Star is a darling. It only gives out 4 flowers/scape but as I mentioned, it can flower 3 times/year. I just got in some bulbs from RC and in fact had another Pink Star included in it. It is a "pretty in person" variety...lol!
    Striped Panther...What could I say? Intriguing???

Noid Sonatini shall be named "Vanessa" for now. That's until the Dutch growers register it. Such a beauty deserves a name. There were 3 bulbs of this that came in the first shipment. Raydio and Soultan got one each. I will try to start a thread on the Dutch sonatinis.

Our bloomer for today, Aphrodite. After blooming last Fall before it was put to rest, still gives out 2 scapes with huge flowers as it wakes up this season. Very reliable double even if it's flower color is temperature sensitive.
    {{gwi:413496}}

Just a reminder: How to have flowers, flowers and more flowers...

Here is a link that might be useful: After Bloom Care

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Maria, you are so lucky to have all these lovelies this time of year! The 'family portraits' are stunning! The only thing I have blooming are plumeria and bananas. My first bananas, Raja Pury has a HUGE bud/bloom on it right now.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Maria, I'm running out of words to describe your glorious flowers! What can I say about Aphrodite that hadn't been said before... she's a beauty... but it's more than just that... I know all the care you've put into growing these bulbs... all the time and energy... potting and re-potting, fertilizing and watering and moving them all around, from indoors to out and back again... and in each photo, all that love and care shows!

I may jest, saying things like: "I am not worthy!" but the truth is... you work very hard at getting all these wonderful flowers to show themselves every year, and you take the care and time to share these fabulous photos with all of us... and I, for one, appreciate it! Your skill with the camera combined with your gardening skill makes for a fantastic show! Thank you!

Perhaps someday I'll be able to post a group shot like the ones you do... at least, I hope I will!

• wildebloem
    15 years ago

Beautiful, all of them. Loooove "Supreme Garden", what a gem.

I am really interested in the Sonatinis. Do you happen to know of a site that has good, reliable information?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Here's a link to Hadeco's website... they have the best photos of the Sonatinis and Sonatas, etc... they may have other information, as well... I usually go there just to view the photos, and to find out what new varieties they've come up with!

There must be other websites with good information... although, I don't have any bookmarked...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hadeco Quality Amaryllis

• wildebloem
    15 years ago

Great site, thank you. I had decided to only mail order the giant bulbs and find whatever else is new this year in the nurseries around here. I think I just changed my mind. So much for restraint.

The Solo group sounds interesting, but I did not see photos or names. Something new to try, if I can find them.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

The unfortunate thing about Hadeco bulbs is that not every supplier carries them... and the ones that do, only carry a few, it seems! And different suppliers carry different Hadeco varieties, so you really have to search to find the ones you're looking to get!

I wish that one of the more reputable companies would pick up the entire Hadeco line of bulbs... that would be something special!

While we wait for that dream to come true, we're stuck with what we can locate from the different companies we already know and love.

I'm hoping that my local garden center will carry at least a few new and different varieties this coming season... I really shouldn't add too many to my already burgeoning collection, but I have no willpower, whatsoever... hence the need to obtain some really good grow lighting!

Sponsored
More Discussions