SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

First winter for potted musa basjoo - garage or sunny window?

TT, zone 5b MA
12 years ago

Hi -

I have read up on many different approaches re: how people overwinter these. Now, I am looking for a 'if you had too choose' opinion...with tradeoffs, please.

I know it is early, but I do like to plan ahead. I have had my plant since early summer, and it has grown and pupped like crazy. I have read about some folks garaging theirs, some keeping theirs indoors at a sunny window, and many doing the plant it out and protect it thing.

My garage gets pretty cold in the winter, but never below freezing. Lowest would be in the mid to upper thirties (F). No light. What happens to this plant in those conditions? Will it essentially die back to the soil line? How much watering would one give it when dormant in these conditions?

I also have a pretty sunny set of south facing windows in my living room. There, of course, it will be room temperature all winter with the drying of indoor heating. I have kept schefflera, jades, and philodendron there with decent results. How will M. basjoo handle this? What kind of watering regime would I follow in these conditions over the winter? How can I expect the plant to react here re: growth or dieback?

My last choice is one I am not sure I can make. I have a sunroom with skylights (north facing, so not too exciting as far as sunlight goes...but bright) in which I keep a ton of other plants, many under HID lights. Space is an issue here, especially with a plant this size. That said, it is a more plant friendly environment...with daytime temps reaching the 60s during the coldest part of winter, down to around 50 at night. Humidity also remains pretty decent in there, too.

So, what would be the best choice for the plant? If I couldn't give it that choice, what would be the best fallback plan?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Tom

Comments (10)