SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berkeleysgr8

maggot-like critters in my bulbs

berkeleysgr8
10 years ago

I discovered today that my pot of Chico bulbs has been decimated. There is one surviving bulb... and I should probably unpot it and take a look at what's going on with it. One bulb wasn't showing signs of growth, so I poked at it and discovered it was mushy (a month ago, the bulb was still firm). Inside it was just brown mush and FULL of maggot-like critters. A second Chico bulb in the same pot had looked okay until this week... its one leaf appeared to be dying. Poked at it... it was mushy too. I've cleaned it off and I'm not sure what to do with it now. About half the bulb remains. I pulled at least 50 maggot-like things from this bulb... some were between the layers of the bulb too. I'm considering either potting it high so just the basal plate is in the soil... or slicing it up to see if it will produce more bulblets.

I'm wondering if the rot brought the maggots or the infestation of maggots caused the rot? I'm wondering if the dreaded red blotch is to blame? What are your thoughts? -Tina

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions