SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

Musa Basjoo Growing Tips

the_virginian
16 years ago

I have been monitoring this group and have noticed that a lot of you have questions and concerns when it comes to growing Musa Basjoo. Some of you are disappointed in the rate of growth that you have gotten from your Musa Basjoos and other bananas. Well, let not your heart be troubled as I have some tips that I am all too happy to pass along that virtually guarantee success.

Soil: Bananas in general like deep, rich loamy soil so, before you plant till in generous amounts of soil amendments like composted cow manure, old potting soil, shredded leaves, compost, pine bark, top soil etc. and plenty of MILORGANITE fertilizer from Lowes or Home Depot. Be very generous in the amounts of the soil amendments and MILORGANITE as it will make a huge difference during the growing season.

Mulch: Use ONLY organic mulches and NEVER shredded tires or white rock as this is very important to keeping growth and nutirent exchange sustained. Pine straw, wood based mulch of any kind, hay, straw, shredded leaves or grass clippings will do just as long as the area has some mulch during the growing season. This helps retain the moisture that keeps bananas growing in the heat.

Water and liquid fertilizer: Bananas will only grow well if they are watered well and need to be watered and fertilized much more than any other plant in your garden. I recommend 3 to 4 times per week and atleast once a week use Miracle Gro or other water based fertilizer while you water. If you don't do this you will be disappointed with substandard growth.

Dry Fertilizer: 2-3 times per growing season this needs to be applied heavily and if not done will not yield the sustained growth desired. I recommend Milorganite, but almost any good NKP ratioed fertilizer will do.

Again if you think you have added too much, add some more. It is also critical that watering be done right after the application of the dry fertilizer to prevent any chance of burning..yet it has never happend to my bananas even when mounds of Milorganite was applied.

Sun to Part sun sitting is critical to produce the large leaves and tall stems of bananas. If you follow these directions you too can expect 15-20 foot bananas by the end of the growing season that will shock the neighborhood.

Good luck!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH