SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctknud

Free !! Yellow Groove Bamboo

ctknud
18 years ago

Hi, We have some very nice planted Yellow Groove Bamboo that needs to be removed. And we do not want to trash it, and would rather have someone make it a new home. This stuff is doing well, so it should transplant and take without much effort. Please email ctknud@aol.com if you have any interest. We live in the Central New Jersey area.

Thanks.

Comments (22)

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I'll send you an email...

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

I'm in stillwater sussex county. Can you give specs on where in central jersey you are??

Kurt

• spiros
    18 years ago

I've also sent you an email.

• hwlee
    18 years ago

I am also interested.

• hangluus
    18 years ago

I'd be interested, but I think we should wait to dig till probably mid september. The bamboos are still growing and hardening up right now.

• mtnbamboogirl
    18 years ago

i agree

WAIT till mid sept or better oct and let it stop growing and harden up first..i have many different types i am going to dig up but im holding off till then...its killing me to wait but its best for the boo...in the mean time im preparing the holes for them...

Here is a link that might be useful: east coast bamboo group

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

My totally unsolicited opinion would be to dig it now if you are going to immediately transplant it or wait until March if you are not. Doing it now you would have time for it to recover, still produce new rhizome growth up until late October, and have time for the roots to establish in the new site before winter. If you wait until late Sep. or Oct. it would likely not grow any new rhizomes this year and have to 'hurry' to develop new roots before dealing with winter, so you might as well wait until spring. If you are planning on containerizing it, why have to winter them over in containers if you can avoid it?

My shooting season is 4-6 weeks earlier than NE and I have been making divisions since mid-June so my guess is that even with your later shooting season, your new culms should be plenty stable for digging by now and you'll have time for the rhizomes to still grow some in the new location. I've been doing my relocations & transplants in the past month and have lost a few leaves but the newly 'moved' plants are doing fine and I'm already seeing some new shoots (they often shoot after being disturbed) & rhizome growth from them.

Remember that our winters being so much more severe that the PNW, West Coast, FL, Texas etc., adds the challenge of getting the plants established before the ground freezes solid, otherwise I'd wait until fall/winter but we do not have that luxury. Yes, it's hot & dry and you'll have to baby them in the new spot, perhaps even providing some temp shade cover but I'd take my chances with the heat versus the cold in terms of getting the divisions established.

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I dug up the arrow in 90 degree heat last year and the boo made it fine.It's the after care which is really important plus it will have time to get settled in it's new home...I am going down there within the next week.

koniferkid

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

I agree. Now would be a fine time but Sept. fits my timeline....if its still there.

• hwlee
    18 years ago

Carl,
    call me in the morning for directions to your grove.

Henry

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I am going down there Monday for anybody interested...

koniferkid

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Koniferkid....I got the OK from my wife to go down on monday. I sent carl an email this morning. hopefully it will be OK with him. I am hoping i can leave work around 10:30 am. i'd be coming from Stanhope....first town in Sussex County....not sure the best route. What time were you going down there?? Steve you available on Monday??

Kurt

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

Kurt, good luck with your YG dig! Please let me share some advice though, I currently have 8 groves of YG, down from 10 as I have been completely removing some of them. Too much of it! I ran an ad in the local food co-op newsletter offering to come and get your grove back under control in exchange for the plants. I had tons of calls and my greed had me digging and planting it all over. It has done really well and I am runnng out of room for other species!

Anyway, I'd just caution you to save plenty of land for other species as you'll surely needmore bamboo in the future!

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Brad I do appreciate the advice. I only have two plants or divisions of YG that are up on my back hill. so far they have been slow to spread. Of course it has only been one full season for one and the other i got in the spring. my guess is the soil conditions.....very rocky....may be one culprit. i do have two small Henons growing back there as well. one gal size. maybe two ft tall. i can barely find them amongst all the weeds....i have to weed every now and again to find them. that back property line for me is about 130 ft across......I think another 5 to 10 divisions won't be hurting me any. that whole area is pretty much unlandscapable. I cut all the threatening trees down that might crash onto my house so all that is left is brush....its even a pain to water up there. I have to keep a hose in place up there. I drug it up in the spring but now i can barely find it lol. This is my main area i want it. If YG is what is working best for me in my area well this is what i want for erosion control. My Original original plan was to create a 'natural fence' because there was no way to get fence posts in the ground. My two Nigras i have on the hill but further down(about 2/3 ft as well). if i ever get to finish phase two of my deck they will reside about 6 ft above where the deck meets the hill. the YG will be about 25 ft further up....I have a couple other spots in the yard that i plan to get ready for diff. sp. Like you said to me way back when i do consider myself a bit of a pioneer as far as trying to grow in my area. Bamboo is pretty scarse around by me. other than that one place down the street from me, i haven't seen(heard) it anywhere but further east or south. I am hoping to get a bit more because i don't know how much more i can get from that guy. I'm hoping the Arrow will do a bit better next year too. 6 ft would work for me but you saw the pic of what i have. I'll give it 2 more years in that spot.....alot of trial and error for me...

Kurt

• hoosier52
    18 years ago

I'll post a pic of Pseudosasa Viridula in the gallery. For me it is showing signs of being hardier than the Japonica and it is sizing up way faster. I've only had it 2 winters but it is nearly 7 feet tall, while the 4 year Japonica is around 4 feet at best. The Viridula has multiple branches at the nodes and I really like the look, otherwise it looks like Japonica. If your Japonica stalls out I'll get you a piece of the Viridula.

• rfgpitt
    18 years ago

wish I could get there to help!!!

• spiros
    18 years ago

ctknud,

I've sent you an email, I need to cancel. Sorry for cancelling.

Spiros

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I have to postpone too for tomorrow. My friend who was going to help has poison ivy.Maybe towards the end of the week now.I certainly don't want to get poison ivy...Especially with bamboo 2 shovels are better than one I learned..I definately need his help...

Koniferkid

• kstanwick
    18 years ago

Well no directions ....no go for me. Maybe in Sept. if its still there. Not too big adissappointment for me. My wife will be happy we can spend some family time together...

Kurt

• pistol_shrimp
    18 years ago

Would it be possible to get a couple of rhizomes for postage? I have only just begun my collection of bamboo and I've just found out that the one plant I have that I thought was bamboo is actually Japanese Knotweed. If you don't want to mess with a newbie I can understand, but I'd appreciate any help you or any others who read this could give me. The only thing I have to trade are some canna rhizomes, and very few of those.
    If anyone knows of good sources for bamboo around Lawrence, KS I'd like to know about them.
    Thanks for your time.

• sato_san
    18 years ago

We would be interested if you still have bamboo available. I've sent an email to aol.

• kennerd
    18 years ago

Email from me, too.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH