SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Winter storage; sans a basement-fridge?

hueytlatoani
15 years ago

So here's a thought I've been having; alot of people store banana rhizomes in basements, garages, crawlspaces etc...in places that are generally cool (around 45f is optimal I think) and dry. I'm in a rather sticky situation, as my house is very small, far too small to bring this years bananas inside, and it doesn't have a basement or garage, and I don't really trust the crawlspace for temperture stability. So here's what I'm thinking of doing: I have a small apartment fridge which is "just liying around" and I've hooked it up with temperture probes and have figured out how to set it for a stable 45f. I'm thinking I might store rhizomes in bags or tubs of sawdust in the fridge, and set up a de-humidifier of some sort in there to keep them from molding. Any idea if this would work? My main concern is the mold issue, but I think if that problem can be overcome this might be a good reliable way for people without thermally insulated basements etc. to store their banana rhizomes or short sections of psuedostem. Anyone tried something like this, or have suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES