SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jartsap

Pup removal and cutting main stalk for overwintering

jartsap
13 years ago

Hi,

I read a few messages already about more or less similar cases, but just to make sure I wanted to ask these things once again.

The patient: 2-yo Helen's Hybrid banana. Is growing in a largish pot, now outdoors. It's too high to fit indoors for overwintering. There are two pups next to it, there was a third one but I killed it when I tried to remove it and got no roots with it.

So I would like to remove the pups and hopefully get at least one of them alive to continue my life as a banana farmer. I already saw a picture here about how to cut it so that I should get some of the mother plants roots with it. So nothing special there, or is there? The pups are seemingly attached to the mother right on the soil surface level. So I dig some soil to see if the pup has it's own roots? And if not, just cut some of the mother plant with it?

And then I would like to try cutting down the mother plant and see if it can be overwintered. What's the correct position for the cut? I think I could make the pseudo stem fit indoors, but if it grows new leaves, they will hit the ceiling right away. So can I cut it down to the soil level or a bit higher? Or should I just cut the leaves and try to overwinter it dormant in the yard garage (may go just below freezing point, a few degrees under zero C or 32F and totally dark)? The main garage under the house is another possibility, temperature there will be somewhat higher, around 10-15C and there are some small windows but the doors are opened daily when the car goes in or out and then some very cold outdoor air can momentarily get it. The ceiling in main garage is also a bit lower, so I don't know if the pseudo stem will fit in there in upright position and with the pot.

Or, if I can cut down the main pseudo-stem, it may be possible to overwinter the whole pot with the pups and all indoors, like last winter. That would be nice, except of course the fact that my plant will then be much shorter.

The place where I live is in Finland, northern Europe, and the winter temperature may be as low as -30C (-22F) so overwintering outdoors is not a possibility even though this cultivar is one of the more cold resistant ones.

Any ideas are welcomed, including any propositions to obtain a smaller growing variety :) Yes, I've been considering it, but then again I like challenges.

Jari

Comments (5)