SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genghisken

Fargesia Robusta Green Screen Bamboo Dying

genghisken
15 years ago

I live in British Columbia, Canada (similar weather to Seattle, WA) I've had my green screen for 4 months, purchased back in Apr '08. I noticed about 1 month ago my bamboo started to turn yellow and new shoots began to die off when the summer weather finally arrived. It's been sitting in full sun in a black cermaic pot (about 10 hrs/day).

For the past month:

Avg temp: 26 celcius (78 F)

Wind: 1-2 days minor wind

Watering: conservatively once/day (very light watering)

I originally thought that it may be getting too much sun and given that the ceramic pot is black, attracts heat and may be cooking the roots. So I moved the pot last week closer to the house where there's more shade, so now it gets about 4 hrs/day of late afternoon sunshine.

So far there's no signs of improvement. Now I'm thinking I might have watered it too much? I've read on other websites that 1-2 days/week of water is sufficient. However, we get a lot of rain during the spring months and seemed to be fine then. Or could it be that it does not have enough space in the pot for new shoots to expand? On the other hand, the plastic pot it came in is about the same size as the ceramic pot it's in now.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty new with growing bamboos so this is a learning experience for me.

If you want to see pictures, go to this website.

http://65.39.142.234/bamboo.jpg

Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored