SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Front yard tree...

mlo1
15 years ago

Hello to the forum. We built a two story natural red cedar shingle style home in a established neighborhood. We have about 30ft. between the homes eave and the roadsides walkpath. The yard is actually up-hill near 4-5 feet from the roadsides grade. The soil does contain some clay and is well drained (we are the top of a mild bluff). Other trees that seem to do ok are Doug Fir's, Arborvitae, Japanese maples, Madrona, and Cedars.

We would really like to find something that softens the 2 story image (actually story and a half w/ a full wrap hip) and adds some dimension. The yards width where planting/s could be placed is near 50' with a public walkway centered from the streetside to the homes entry. The homes front faces southwest which is directly into our wheather and has full exposure. That includes occasional unimpeded breezes off the Puget Sound though we are inland a half mile or so (no salt spray).

After fallowing these forums for a couple years I have made a short list of candidtaes. I believe it would be nice to have something that easily exceeds the homes 24 feet. I worry about filling the homes gutters up with debris as the wheather will carry it directly onto the roof. My list includes Doug fir (which I think will be to large), Atlantic white cedar, Western red cedar (giant arborvitae), and Bald Cypress (though it is deciduous).

I would be thanfull for any input. I am sort-of trying to use native specimens if they will work in the alotted space. TIA

Comments (8)