SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bandit_trans_am

Musa Basjoo Tips Needed

Bandit_Trans_Am
10 years ago

A few years ago I purchased a few Musa Basjoos online, and started growing them in pots as I did not have a yard to plant them in. This spring, I bought a house, and planted them in my landscaping. I have several issues I am concerned about.

1) The St. Louis summers get upwards of 100F - 105F The plants are in direct sunlight for roughly 4 hours per day (10a.m. to 2p.m.) and then shaded by a large oak tree in the afternoon. Will this present a problem during the hottest part of the summer?

2) When I planted the trees roughly 3 months ago, they were about 6 inches in height. Currently they are about 3 feet in height. I started putting milorganite on them about 2 weeks ago, and am starting to get very large leafs (30 inches in length). While the leafs are getting very large, the plant itself isn't getting much taller. I have two pups growing at the base, and will be separating them in a week or so. Should I see significant growth after separating the pups? Also, would trimming off the lower leafs promote growth?

3) I want to dig them up this winter and bring them inside in order to keep the height next spring. What steps should I take to ensure the plant stays healthy over the winter months? Will it require a grow light?

4) I placed a milorganite around the base about two weeks ago. I used roughly a red Solo cup full around the base. How much should I actually use, and is it possible to over use milorganite?

5) The Missouri soil is....well....mostly clay. I am afraid of over watering as clay has very poor drainage properties. How often should I be watering, and for how long?

I'd like to get as much height out of the plants as possible by the end of the growing season. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored