SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

pruning/thinning black bamboo

Carrie B
18 years ago

This may be the first time I've ever been to this forum, and it is definitely my first post here. I'm (mostly) an urban perennial gardener, who works in an (urban) garden center and takes on private garden clients on my days off.

The other day, a customer at the plant store asked:

"do you know anyone who can prune my black bamboo?"

I said: "well, I would say me, but I know nothing about bamboo".

She said: "that doesn't matter".

So, now I have a big bamboo job. I went to her house, and she showed me what she wants done. She essentially wants the bamboo "limbed up" to 3-4' to show off the stalks, wants the foliage thinned out throughout, and wants me to "top off" the bamboo so it is not so tall. It is probably about 12 feet tall at the tallest, and she wants it cut back to about 8'. She also wants me to tie it up so that it doesn't flop over in the rain & wind.

Also, I noticed that among the black bamboo quite a few stalks were green. Many of the green stalks appeared quite large, so I asked her if the black eventurally matured to green. She said "no, they start out green and then mature to black". Since so many green stalks appeared so tall & thick, I'm wondering if black bamboo sometimes reverts to green.

Anyone have any good bamboo advice? Or know an Online or book source with clear instructions? I know these are a complex set of questions, probably hard to describe online. (someone once called the garden center where I work & asked me to describe rose pruning over the phone - no way I could do it)

Thanks,

CarrieB

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus