SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ian_wa

What is the most ornamental bamboo for waterlogged soil?

ian_wa
18 years ago

I would like to select a couple of bamboos for an area that is waterlogged in winter and sort of dryish by late summer (though only in a dry year does the grass go brown.... and then at the very end of summer/early fall). In winter there is only a little standing water, but if you step on the ground, you sink in because it is muddy clay. I already have P. heteroclada in this spot and it is doing very well. I also have some arrow bamboo in there and I am surprised how well it has handled the wet. I have room for a few other bamboos here and I am debating where to place them. I'd certainly like to plant P. congesta/atrovaginata. Other than that, I'm consdiering P. nidularia and P. purpurata 'solidstem'. Are there any more species I should consider? What, in your opinion, is the best ornamental bamboo that will tolerate wet soil?

I'm also considering Qiongzhuea tumidissinoda for a slightly raised (but still not that well drained) part of this area. What are the limits of its moisture tolerance?

I am debating whether to plant Sasa palmata there. It would certainly grow there but it would probably take over a large area and I would not be able to stop it. If I crowded it in behind some other thickly growing bamboos (say, arrow bamboo and Qiongzhuea), after giving them some time to get established, could Sasa palmata be confined to a smaller space or would it break through?

Also I have read that some of the Chilean Chusqueas are pretty tolerant of wet feet; maybe I should try C. culeou out there as well. Any experience in that area?

Comments (28)

Sponsored