SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

July 2nd-4th Pictures

vera_eastern_wa
14 years ago

Shasta Daisy today in 2nd year bloom. I can tell I'll be dividing this clump already this fall or early next spring

{{gwi:412241}}

A volunteer Peony Poppy...I wanted to get a picture of one fully opened the evening before last, but this morning it had already vanished and this one was just opened this a.m.

{{gwi:412242}}

Some wintersown Tomatoes. Didn't take a pic, but so far only have small tomatoes on the Black Plum plants

{{gwi:412243}}

Swamp Milkweed...these babies are growing 2x as fast as the A. tuberosa

{{gwi:412244}}

Sunflower about to open any day now. I didn't sow any this year and knew I wouldn't need to. There were a gazillion re-seeders and I spent many a day pulling and thinning!

{{gwi:412245}}

Dianthus, Sedum and a volunteer Catmint that will be yanked eventually

{{gwi:412246}}

Schizanthus is a container with Trailing Carnations

{{gwi:412247}}

This volunteer Rudbeckia hirta is an odd-ball. There are about 3 plants that popped up in this spot but only this one is growing with these dark purple/maroon leaf margins. Have you ever seen anything like it?

{{gwi:412249}}

More volunteers...Larkspur and Poppy. Back in the corner there is a 4 year old Snapdragon

{{gwi:412251}}

Not wintersown, but want to show off my 5th month old Pineapple :))

{{gwi:412252}}

Had the first Petunia bloom on June 29th posted in my "June 27-29th pics" post. This one first bloomed on July 2nd and you can see another small seedling in the upper left corner yet to bloom. Love this "washed on" pink color! I got some this color with some whites and yellow-pinks last year; seed were labeled 'Dolce Flambe' and were received as a bonus with Trudi's SASE Tomato seed offer last year. If you look this one up you can see that they do come in the color as I described with that washed-on over white look. I couldn't tell you if these were left over commerical seed or seed harvested from someone's plants, but found the species to be Petunia multiflora and is sometimes found as 'Dolcissima Flambe'.

{{gwi:412253}}

Gaillardia aristata 'Burgundy'

{{gwi:412254}}

You will find these Black Blister Beetles hanging out on just about every Calendula flower in the yard. These 2 here are doing the deed LOL! They can feed on upper leaves of a plant, but mostly feed on it's pollen. Their larvae feed only on grasshopper eggs masses in the soil so their population is usually dependent on the grasshopper population the year prior. Males are VERY toxic to any animal that ingests them having a toxin called Cantharidin. The Striped Blister Beetle however is even way more toxic! I'm going to let them be because the grasshopper population is pretty high this year and I don't foresee any livestock grazing :)

{{gwi:412255}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH