SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will_3

Raised bed's for large bamboo ??

will_3
17 years ago

I understand it is not ideal but I must restrict the area I allow for clumping bamboo.

The Plan: I want to plant some varities of tall clumping bamboo... oldhamii or black bamboo or Golden Hawaiian, wamin or buddah's belly or whatever.

Bed Design: I was going to use two 2x8's or two 2x10's or two 2x12's to make the raised beds so the top would be 16" or 20" or 24" above the ground. The boards would be held in place by pressure treated 4x4's that were 2 or 3 feet into the ground. I was going to put a 4x4 support every 4 feet long the raised bed. The bed would be about 70 feet long but only 4 foot wide... maybe a little less... maybe a littlem more.

The Wish: I hope to create a thick privacy hedge as tall and as thick and as quick as possible.

Understanding: I understand that bamboo, even clumping bamboo doesn't like to be resitricted but in this case it is either restrict it or don't have it.

Questions:

- How tall must I make the wall around the raised bed to keep the bamboo from growing under it?

- When it expands to the edge/wall of the bed will triming it back 6 inches on each side keep the bamboo healthy and happy?

Thanks for any comments and help.

Comments (17)