SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

For all you photo addicts, here's my contribution

stage_rat
15 years ago

Proudgm wanted more photos, and I want her and our other first-year people to see how well wintersowing pays off. I've been taking a ton of photos, so be prepared for a couple of posts!

I moved to my house in May 2005, and the front and back yard was just grass, a couple of hostas, some orange daylilies, and 4 shrubs. (And some nice and not-so-nice trees). My mom lives just up the street, and she's given me a ton of plant divisions. I also started some perennials under lights in 2005 and 2006.

Last year was my 1st one wintersowing. I planted the seedlings in spots between bigger plants, or created new beds. I spaced things about 6" apart, figuring the plants were perennials and would stay small the first year. No way! I had tangles of stuff by fall, and this spring I dug up tons of stuff and sorted it out. I moved many things around, largely because of what the deer in my neighborhood eat. I also implemented ideas of plant combinations I wanted to make.

I'm surprised at how many perennials will bloom their first year. My yard is all dappled shade, and living so close to Lake Michigan we have long cool springs, so those blooming 1st-year plants make me pretty happy! Some 1st-year bloomers from wsow are: Maltese Cross, Malva sylvestris, Lychnis lumina, Bellis perennis, Agastache foeniculum, Dianthus Sooty, Chocolate Joe Pye, Buddleia, Rudbeckia. I have photos of most of these here and in other photo posts I'm going to make.

Now, some photos!

From earlier this year: Lunaria with columbines wsown last year. The pink are Nora Barlow:

{{gwi:411541}}
{{gwi:411542}}

bellis perennis at plant-out, about 1 month ago:

{{gwi:411543}}
{{gwi:411545}}

bellis perennis last week:

{{gwi:411547}}
{{gwi:411548}}

my WS foxgloves--possibly seed from Candy Mountain? The flowers point up or horizontally. Others in my yard point down.

{{gwi:411549}}
{{gwi:411550}}

a nice plant combination: wsown Valerian and foxglove and feverfew, non-wsown peony.

{{gwi:411551}}
{{gwi:411552}}

here it is a little earlier, and from the side:

{{gwi:411554}}
{{gwi:411556}}

WS Double black-eyed-susan, 2nd year. Didn't bloom until this year:

{{gwi:411558}}
{{gwi:411560}}

2007 WS Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset, I think. It's more brown than this.

{{gwi:411561}}
{{gwi:411562}}

Another favorite combo in my garden, but only the feverfew was WS. It is Heliopsis, Summer Sun I believe. Double feverfew is barely visible, there is Digitalis lutea barely visible, and the blue is Allium caeruleum. I have yellow dayliles that will bloom there soon, but I want something else that will carry on the blue at this time of year. Any ideas?

{{gwi:411563}}
{{gwi:411564}}

2nd year wsow babies, moved inside the fence because of deer. I don't know about this color combo!

{{gwi:411565}}
{{gwi:411566}}

Valerian and larkspur. Valerian was WSown, the larkspur reseeds. The plants are now about 5 feet plus. I think the larkspur got that tall in competition with the valerian. The Valerian smells wonderful--it's aka Garden Heliotrope, hardy in my zone and maybe zone 4 (the deer have chewed on it some, though). In the background is Agastache foeniculum, almost 5 feet tall, starting to bud:

{{gwi:411567}}
{{gwi:411568}}

A Veronica from seed trading. It bloomed weeks ago. When I saw V. teucrium Crater Lake at a garden center, it looked just like mine. But web photos of Crater Lake are a much darker blue. Last year it sprawled everywhere, and this year it is much more upright.

{{gwi:411569}}
{{gwi:411570}}

"Hardy White Salvia" from trade, WSown 2007, blooming this year:

{{gwi:411571}}
{{gwi:411572}}

The following weren't wintersowed, but I like them :)

Shasta daisies, Sulphur Cinquefoil and reseeded Perilla. Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta) is a noxious weed out west, but I like it!

{{gwi:411574}}
{{gwi:411575}}

And, I got lucky at a plant sale:

{{gwi:411576}}
{{gwi:411577}}

I hope you enjoyed these, sorry that my photo site includes those buttons on the bottom.

Comments (23)

Sponsored