SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Chemical for scarification of seeds

sfhellwig
13 years ago

I am doing a considerable seed project this winter again. I said I wouldn't after transplanting over 50 seedlings last year but when the seeds start to present, it is hard to resist. I plan to scarify what I need and all get planted in trays in the yard for over winter stratification. It worked last year very well for the maples. This year if I can soften some seed coats I hope for better success with a few hollies and a couple of others. So what do you guys use? I have "Secrets of Plant Propagation" and on so many of them it says soak in sulfuric acid. 1) where would I get that? and 2) what do you soak them in? Isn't the acid going to eat anything besides a pyrex beaker? If there is another solution that works please let me know. Last year I tried a few hollies, Redbud, Barberry and Burning Bush with virtually zero results. This year a have American and Deciduous Holly, Black and Honey Locust (I know they're diff), Redbud, and Hawthorn and have gone to a lot of work to clean them. I just want to insure some germination. I realize several of these are hard species to grow from seed but germination of near zero tells me I did something wrong.

Also appreciate a source for Ethyl alcohol. Saw it sited for Bald Cypress from someone here. Didn't get any of them to pop up last year either. I can get Everclear if I have to but avoid liquor stores these days. You can't substitute denatured alcohol as it has had a poison added? I assume this makes it only good for cleaning/thinning and not organic uses?

Comments (17)